Citrus And Acidic Fruits

I'm sure it's been asked before, and I know there are posts on what fruit and veggies are okay, but some of these are pages long and I don't want to go wading through pages of posts. Just looking for a quick answer.

Ok, so the question is: Are acidic/citrus fruits such as kiwi fruit, mandarins/oranges, and tomatoes ok to give to your dog?

Jyra generally will just get the occasional segment of a mandarin, then ends of the tomato, and the skin of the kiwi fruit, and she just loves all of these, so I am assuming that they are okay, seeing as we haven't had any adverse effects, but I was just wondering if there is anything out there to say that you shouldn't give these things to your dog? (Like how you shouldn't give them chocolate or onions)

You should steer clear of chocolate, onions, most kinds of nuts, cooked bones and grapes/raisins/sultanas.

Some people suggest avoiding raw potato also, and the seeds of stone fruit.

You should have no problems with citrus fruit - I've never heard of anyone having a problem with it. I also work in a vet, and have not seen any problems with animals there either.

If your dog wants to eat different kinds of fruit then great :p Mine used to eat all kinds of vegie and fruit scraps but recently decided to become more picky - they act all enthusiastic when I offer them stuff and then spit it out on the floor, heh :rofl:

(Edited to add GRAPES to the list.)

Edited by bowser

Guest LittlePixie

I chucked a small kiwifruit in the dogs' vegie mix... and a tomato as well... but that's still only one of each divided up between 2 large dogs and 1 small dog for three meals, so not very much at all!

Oh yeah, I knew there was something I'd forgotten.

Grapes and raisins can also be toxic.

The occasional one or two is fine but some studies have proven them to be toxic in larger quantities (like a whole bunch).

Yep, they are fine to feed. A nice variety you have there too!

Of course the vitamin C isn't of much use to the dogs as they make their own.... and a lot of dogs apparently don't like citrus smells/tastes, but Dieter does and it seems a few dogs on here do as well. Tomatoes are a regular in his barf mix and when I have an mandarin he'll have half :rofl:

Pesh - I don't think grapes or raisins are good for dogs

My Henry adores fruit before anything else. There is no cut of meat or bone or anything he would rather eat than a piece of raw fruit.

His favourite is passionfruit, followed by orange and then pomelo.

He doesn't like apples as much but seems to like the odd grape that falls off the bunch I am eating!

His sister Beatrice, hates fruit.

Ripe tomatoes and tinned tomatoes are find... It is only a problem when they eat them green off the plant and/or eat the tomato plant...

Asked my vet about this as Ollie eats the strawberries and grape tomatoes off the vine when we have them....

I have had strawberry plants forever and have never had a fruit off them because the little horror gets all of them...

Hope this info helps

Jodie

Green tomatos contain solonine, which is toxic even in small amounts. Ripe tomatos on the other hand, are very high in selenium, which is toxic in large doses but absolutely harmless in small amounts, I feed my guys tomatos in moderation, a good rule of thumb for practically anything is IN MODERATION.

Citrus should be fine, again, in moderation, too much I believe could cause stomach upsets and possible poor digestion.

Something to remember though, if you are just chucking your dog a scrap of fruit or veg it wont get anything out of it anyway, dogs cannot break the cell wall of vegetable matter so unless it has been pureed then your dog might as well be eating flavoured cardboard :thumbsup:

*** as Ollie eats the strawberries and grape tomatoes off the vine when we have them....

I have had strawberry plants forever and have never had a fruit off them because the little horror gets all of them... ****

:thumbsup: The same happens here... my poor vege patch is bare , bar for some sorry looking Spinach & Mint... thanks to my gardening fur kid..

Just reminded me of the funniest thing my last Boxer did.

I went outside one day and the dogs bowl was sitting next to the back door with three or four plump ripe tomatos sitting in it. I yelled out to mum and dad to come outside and gave them both a stern word about NOT feeding tomatos to dogs because they can be poisonous in large doses. Dad laughed (NOT the response I was after), then he told me about how he was just standing in the kitchen watching Lily (the Boxer) for ten minutes break into the veggie patch (she had to open the gate to get in), hunt for ripe tomatos, pick them off the bush and carry them back to the house, leaving them in the bowl next to the house for us to collect :thumbsup:

Never under estimate a dogs intellegence :)

:thumbsup::):) at Jeanne

Jedda loves mandarins and oranges. Two nights ago Damien decided to have a mandarin after dinner. Conversation went like this:

D: No Jedda, not for you

S: Oh, you've got a mandarin...

D: Yeah?

S: Jedda loves mandarins

D: *quizzical look*

S: Those and oranges are in her top five foods - up there with hot chips and schmackos.

D: Your dog needs help...