Reaction To Vaccination

Meriment

Hi all,

I apologise if this has been discussed previously, however I did a search and couldn't find anything specific.

A lady I see at the park quite regularly had her 9 yr old Cocker Spaniel bitch vaccinated recently with C5.

Apparently, for two days afterwards the dog basically couldn't move. She was stiff and in obvious pain/discomfort. She bit her "mum" at one point from the pain so I presume it was pretty bad for her. This apparently happened last time she had the vaccine as well.

Both times this reaction has happened, the needle was given "one time in her bum, the other time in her side".

From what I can gather, she can't get much feedback from her vet on this.

I was wondering if anyone has had a smiliar experience or may know what is causing this reaction to the vaccine - obviously its something specific to this particular dog?

Any ideas appreciated, thanks :)

Sorry ..... only reaction (touch wood) my girl's had has been a lump, which went down after a few days. Could be wrong, but my knee jerk reaction would be to consult another Vet about vaccinations before re-vaccinating again, seeing as the present one can't give any feedback on the symptom.

I trust your acquaintence/friend's dog will be ok .... this time around? Hope so.

I never vaccinate any animal unless I have some homoeopathic "thuja" on hand - it is the remedy to use for any reaction to a vaccination. It will usually undo most, if not all of the damage.

Have heard of much worse reactions, even occasioning death - especially in older dogs that have always had annual vaccinations.

In the US and UK there is talk of banning vaccinations for all dogs and cats 10 yo and over for this precise reason.

This bitch should NEVER be vaccinated again!

One of my dogs has had a reaction to the vaccination with large swelling around the site.

He now goes to hospital for the day and is monitored all day. He is given a C3 and a nasal as a combination and this works fine for him and has not had a reaction since.

I recommend your friend changes vets. :)

Both times this reaction has happened, the needle was given "one time in her bum, the other time in her side".

Vaccines are given subcutaneously (i.e. under the skin)..... not intramuscular (i.e in the muscle).... so why was she given it in the bum and side???

The most common spot is at the back of the neck near the shoulders as this is where there is usually the most excess skin. Are you sure it was a C5 injection?

I would definitely not be vaccinating that dog again!!!

Tex has bad reaction to them - he has only ever had his puppy shoot, one-year booster and again this year four years later.

He gets quite sick (vomitting dirrahoea, shakes etc etc) but not that bad as that poor dog.

By the time his is due again in another four/five years - the vet has told me there will be natural versions of vaccinations around by then - that is something that maybe your friend can look into.

But for now - I would not get anymore vacs for that dog.

Edited by Ci

Meriment,

Please tell this lady to take her dog to a qualified homeopathic vet immediately. :)

My vet tried to pretend it was 'normal' and 'happened all the time' (as if this wouldnt be cause for concern anyway!!! :) ) when Kirra had a reaction to her vaccination as well. Beware - the problems the dog is having now may not be the end of it.

Kirra now has a bad immune system and severe allergies to most medications, beef and other things because of her reaction.

She is slowly getting better under homeopathic care. I know another lady who's dog had a vaccine reaction and showed signs of agression and being unable to move and generally was not herself afterwards too.

Also, please please please ask this lady to make sure the vet reports the reaction to the correct authorities and gives her a copy of the report. It is required by law but I know there are many instances where it is not reported - and therefore the 'real' figures on vaccination reactions are never known!

Oh yes, and as Ci said - the dog should never ever be vaccinated again!

Jen

Giving a vaccination in the bum! :)

My first piece of advice would be to find a better vet! I'd be wanting to discuss a different vaccination protocol or the need to vaccinate at all with a vet accustomed to dealing with reactions to vaccinations. Your relationship with your vet should be one of communication - not blindly accepting whatever treatment they wish to give. A good vet does discuss these issues and provide options and the risks they may carry.

There is always the titre option but its arguable whether a dog of this age would need ever anything other than parvo or KC...

Edited by poodlefan

whether a dog of this age would need ever anything other than parvo or KC...

Parvo immunity lasts a very long time - she won't need it again. I have had dogs exposed to parvo that had not been vaccinated for many years - no problems.

Kennel cough immunity doesn't last long, but as it only covers a percentage of the various KC viruses, it is not much help. Maintaining a healthy immune system and using several doses of homoeopathic "bryonia" if it does occur is the best approach for any dog. Have spoken to many vets who say they have never seen a fatality from KC in decades of practice.

I wouldnt be vaccinating her again, dont really think there is a need to.

Here is another thread regarding Vaccs

Interesting read as it states that dogs should not need to be re-vaccinated...

I havent vaccinated my Ruby since just before she was 3 due to an immune disorder she has and the meds she is on render the vaccs useless. My vet advised she has enough cover from her previous vaccs to last her for her life...

Edited by fiery_di

whether a dog of this age would need ever anything other than parvo or KC...

Parvo immunity lasts a very long time - she won't need it again. I have had dogs exposed to parvo that had not been vaccinated for many years - no problems.

Kennel cough immunity doesn't last long, but as it only covers a percentage of the various KC viruses, it is not much help. Maintaining a healthy immune system and using several doses of homoeopathic "bryonia" if it does occur is the best approach for any dog. Have spoken to many vets who say they have never seen a fatality from KC in decades of practice.

:) spot on Morgan

Personally I dont think the KC vaccine is much use either. Like Morgan said, it doesnt cover all the KC viruses anyway and it is not a fatal disease.

Anyway, it has been found that the KC vaccine is actually the one that my dog reacted to and has caused all her problems.

Jen

By the time his is due again in another four/five years - the vet has told me there will be natural versions of vaccinations around by then - that is something that maybe your friend can look into.

There is actually 'natural vaccinations' available now. They are homeopathic nosodes.

I use the homeopathic nosodes for heartworm, but none of the other 'normal' vacs as I believe my dogs have immunity for life from those diseases anyway.

Jen

Thanks everyone for your replies.

She is almost positive that the vaccination was a C5 as this is what she's always had. Regardless, it's still a violent reaction to a vaccine (of any kind??) and a huge worry.

Must admit I found it strange that it was given in her bum (or side), as I've only ever heard of it and seen it being given under the skin at the back of their neck.

I will pass all this info on to her (any other replies yet to come).

Thanks again guys :)

Hi all,

I apologise if this has been discussed previously, however I did a search and couldn't find anything specific.

A lady I see at the park quite regularly had her 9 yr old Cocker Spaniel bitch vaccinated recently with C5.

Apparently, for two days afterwards the dog basically couldn't move. She was stiff and in obvious pain/discomfort. She bit her "mum" at one point from the pain so I presume it was pretty bad for her. This apparently happened last time she had the vaccine as well.

From what I can gather, she can't get much feedback from her vet on this.

I was wondering if anyone has had a smiliar experience or may know what is causing this reaction to the vaccine - obviously its something specific to this particular dog?

Any ideas appreciated, thanks :)

the thing that imediately comes to my mind is why did the vet give it intromuscular in the bum and not subcutanious in the neck??? maybe some sort of short term paralisation (sp) thats all i can think of id be questioning the vet as to why he injected there???

I have never, ever heard of any vet giving any vaccination in the dog's bum, I think the lady must be confused or something, it just doesn't happen. Anyway the dog is nine years old, there is absolutely no reason to vaccinate her again.

Vaccinations can cause varying degrees of reactions. It is usually on the second exposure. Usually if a dog is known to react to vaccinations they are given an anti histamine 20-30 mins before the vaccination and then after vaccination monitored for swelling ect. The only thing i have heard of with reguards to not using back of neck for vaccs is that there is a tumor that can be caused by vaccs or as a result of site of vaccs, so some i think and im putting in a disclaimer as i cant remeber exactly the info, but some do vacc in tail but not usually bum. It is so if this tumor does occure it is more easily removed. My collegues cat had one and it was difficult to remove from the back of the neck because of lack of skin to stretch back. I would definatley recomend to go to another vet. Its inexcusable for that vet not to explain whats going on.

My whippet had a reaction to her vaccination when she was 2, after having had no reaction at all before. She was extremely lethargic, and weak, but came good after a few hours. Since then my vet has given her cortisone and antihistamines 15 minutes before her vacc, and last year stopped the cortisone and just gave the antihistamines and we had no reaction. My girl is now nearly 10, and I am wondering about ever having her vaccinated again, surely she has built up enough immunity by now.

Trishm

My whippet had a reaction to her vaccination when she was 2, after having had no reaction at all before. She was extremely lethargic, and weak, but came good after a few hours. Since then my vet has given her cortisone and antihistamines 15 minutes before her vacc, and last year stopped the cortisone and just gave the antihistamines and we had no reaction. My girl is now nearly 10, and I am wondering about ever having her vaccinated again, surely she has built up enough immunity by now.

Trishm

She had enough immunity as a puppy Trishm

There is no reason to get your dog vaxed anymore. Once they are 'immune' they are immune - you cant 'boost' the immunity any more.

Your vet giving your dog antihistimines and cortisone prior to a vaccination is one hell of a drug assault on a dogs body all at one time imo - especially one who has reacted before.

Jen