Treat Bags

Sorry, I'm going to add my 20c worth. I don't like the Blackdog ones as they are too small. Nowhere to put phone, keys as well as dog treats.

A wonderful friend of mine bought me a training pouch for Xmas and it was bigger than the black dog one. It had two openings, one for phone, keys, clickers etc and the bigger section for all the treats you can muster. I don't know the brand unfortunately. I'll have to ask where she got it from.

In the US, they have ones with special ball pouches, tug toy clips, the works! Much more impressive. Do a search on the internet for dog training pouches, you'll find a great variety, cheaper too (even when you add on the postage).

I used an army print convertable bag when we started, as a bum bag and then I bought a bum bag for training purposes as the other once wasn't tight enough to stay up.

I had enough room for keys, bit of money, clicker, target, poo bags, training card, class handouts. Only 3 pockets too, but kept my greasy treats away from other things :) Only $10 from a bag shop in the mall.

not much use during actual training as most people don't use extendable leads but the $2 shop near my mum sells these little pouchs that fit over the extendable lead handle. They have a pouch that sits on each side of the handle - I like to think one side for poo bags one side for treats. And only $2

I have the regular Blackdog one, it's ok for normal training sessions. I've had a bit of trouble with the spring closure, it's stiffened up a bit so probably just needs a little oil on the hinges. The spring opening is great as it keeps the bag open for quick access to treats and can be quickly closed to keep noses out or stop treats falling out. I use the zip lock sandwich bags as a liner, they keep the pouch clean and you can seal them up to keep the treats fresh in the fridge for the next session.

They also make a mini one which is handy for keeping the really greasy stuff separate from the dry stuff (you clip it on to a belt or the band on the larger ones); it's also handy for bait showing as you can slip it in a pocket. The largest one they make is the maxi, good for instructors who have to carry larger quantities of treats or people who want to carry larger treats.

I also found a small clip on pouch in the $2 shop which has a drawstring opening (like the opening on a sleeping bag sack), might be a bit fiddly getting treats out though.

Cheers,

Corine

I like the blackdog ones.

Kelpie-i, have you tried their large sized one, you could fit a lot in that.

Blackdog will modify stuff for you too. I wanted the hands free belt and I got them to attach a dumb-bell clip to the back (for a flyball motivator to hang on) and a treat pouch (middle sized one) to the front. Works great and didn't cost much extra. Get the 'treat pouch socks' instead of using plastic bags in them. They attach to the top so they open and close with the pouch and they can be removed to put in the fridge or get washed.

Jo

I make my own treat bags. I bought a little yellow bait box, and thread that over a strap which clips together. I prefer the yellow plastic bait box, because I can open and close without looking and easily get my hand inside it. It also washes out really well.

• 2 months later...
is Jack that good a boy that he needs a huge bag like that to hold treats?!

No, but I like to walk him to training so I have to carry *everything* with me ... phone, keys, money, poo bags, treats.

I'm thinking I'll order the Black Dog one. They look to be pretty cheap from the VAAT Shelter Shop.

Kelpie-i, if you happen to read this, can you remember the details of the bag your friend bought for you?