Chicken Carcass

sus

OK, time for basic newbie question (feel like a brand-new mum sometimes :thumbsup: )

I'm feeding Bishop chicken carcasses, about 1/2 in the evenings. I've been chopping them up, so for a whole carcass, I chop roughly into 1/8. Any pros or cons on chopping, should I just chop into 1/2 and feed the 1/2 carcass?

I know he'll run away with it so I can't do the petting/checking/take food away thing.

:o I give mine about three to four each on 'carcass' night, and each one is chomped in about 30 seconds! (sorry, another big dog person here!)

but our two pharoah hounds and afghan hound get them whole, and just sit in the sun and chomp them. I've never cut them up, and the pharoah's are pretty small dogs (for us, anyway :thumbsup: )

fifi

This is interesting. I have never fed mine carcasses. She regularly gets chicken necks though (between 2-4) several times a week, occasionally chicken wings.

Can a dog have too many chicken bones? Does it make them constipated at all if they are fed bones daily? Does the bones all get digested or sit in the pit of their stomach?

Hi Chez,

My dogs get either wings and necks or chicken frames every morning and they never get constipated. Sometimes they will eat the whole knuckle off a marrow bone and then they poo pure white calcium, but they don't get them very often. I have sometimes found that older dogs (10+) can get constipated when fed a lot of bone, but I've never had a problem with younger dogs.

BTW the cheapest place for frames is the butcher just outside the mall in Mooroolbark, he also has wings for $1.99kg :thumbsup:

BTW the cheapest place for frames is the butcher just outside the mall in Mooroolbark, he also has wings for $1.99kg :thumbsup:

Best place I have found for carcasses is Star Poultry in Keysborough (Vic) they sell them by the bag and there are between 20 and 30 depending on the size. I must admit I've not bought them for a while but the used to be $5 a bag.

Best place I have found for carcasses is Star Poultry in Keysborough (Vic) they sell them by the bag and there are between 20 and 30 depending on the size. I must admit I've not bought them for a while but the used to be $5 a bag.

Wow that's a good price curlyking, I'll have to check them out next time we're over Dandenong way. Thanks for that :thumbsup:

I have large dogs too

but from about 10 weeks they get them whole

sometimes semi frozen they crunch away till they are gone

never cut them up

I buy from lenards boxes of about 25 - 30 for $5.oo

I have large dog but when I had the little pup he started on whole chicken carcasses at 5 weeks with no problem. They can cut the up themselves just fine :thumbsup:

Rainbow meats in Chirnside park also sell chicken wings for 1.99 kilo. I buy my frames from Megapet Warehouse in Ringwood for 0.65 a kilo.

Initially, when they first started eating chicken, I would let my American Cocker puppies have wings only.

At around 8 weeks I'd simply cut carcasses in half.

Now they are 13 weeks and they have NO problems getting through a full carcass and threatening each other with the same treatment if they dare to stick their nose where it doesn't belong!

It's funny, I just can't bring myself to feed a carcass. They get chicken necks, and sometimes I stand and stare at the carcass in the shop and even pick a tray up... then don't bother.

Bugger it - I'll buy some and give them each one, I'm sure they'll LOVE it!!

:thumbsup:

Wow, I didn't realise so many people are feeding whole carcasses ... :rolleyes:

I've been going by 1/4, then 1/3, now about to do 1/2 .... he's on 3 meals a day though, biscuits in the morning, raw meaty bone at lunch then chicken at night. Been poking and prodding at bones lately, wondering if they're alright, are they meaty enough, too big, too sharp .... :thumbsup: