38kg Blue Heeler

My mum is really worried about her friends Blue Heeler, as you can see by the title that's exactly how much this boy weighs...

He is a purebred...

Apparently she can't walk him as often as she would like as he does not like other dogs and can be a handful...

The food he 'should' be eating to help him lose weight is a half a cup twice a day but she won't feed that as she thinks it is not enough food...

She's constantly giving him tidbits when she is eating...

This poor boy is going to die unless we can change her way of thinking (which isn't likely) or to help while still making her feel that she is feeding him enough...

I am open to all suggestions that I can give my mum to then pass on to this lady...

Thanks,

Mel xx

Maybe point out what a healthy heeler should weigh? And the pictures of what underweight, healthy weight and overweight dogs look like from above?

Would she be amenable to having prepackaged meals prepared to reduce the weight over time, provided she doesn't supplement with treats?

Talk about killing him with kindness...

38kg!! :D

My boy Jack is a 30kg red heeler x with a fair dose of GSD and ridgey in there. He's big for a heeler and our vet said HE couldn't afford to gain any weight.

If this lady is a good friend of your mum's, your mum should be able to tell her straight out that she's slowly killing her dog. If the vet tells her, too, and some other dog-loving friends, surely she'll get the message!

I was just about to him 'reply' when I saw Poodlefan's response, and was going to suggest the same -- if she insists on feeding more, she should try bulking his food out with boiled pumpkin or grated carrot

38kg!! :D

My boy Jack is a 30kg red heeler x with a fair dose of GSD and ridgey in there. He's big for a heeler and our vet said HE couldn't afford to gain any weight.

If this lady is a good friend of your mum's, your mum should be able to tell her straight out that she's slowly killing her dog. If the vet tells her, too, and some other dog-loving friends, surely she'll get the message!

I was just about to him 'reply' when I saw Poodlefan's response, and was going to suggest the same -- if she insists on feeding more, she should try bulking his food out with boiled pumpkin or grated carrot

Mum has suggested things like carrot, she is at her witts end :rofl:

She said she just can't seem to get through to her...even this womans own son tells her off if she goes to feed the dog things she shouldn't...

I really don't get it...

Mel xx

I wonder about where your Mum"s Friend is coming from.Yes she has be made aware of the dangers of overfeeding the Dog but still has not changed.This tells me she has been told verbally.Some People respond better to a Visual message so maybe if possible is there any literature showing the dangers of what she is doing?

Your Mum"s friend may also have some overiding belief within herself causing her to do this that may need to be examined Tonymc

Yes it is very strange, and how many times have we seen people who have been told to quit smoking because of the dangers or to change their diet because they are also killing themselves...

Hopefully pictures may help, but I have an adopter of one of my hounds who has her greyhound grossly over weight. She knows it's dangerous, she knows what she has to do, but she cannot help herself - she too is also obese...

Mel :D

I had the same problem with my mum and her dog. I managed to get her to put a big container in the fridge and instead of feeding the dog throughout the day she put the food into the bowl.

She was surprised how much was there and did endeavour to feed him less during the day.

It took quite a bit of work to even get her to try the bowl thing.

I think the main thing that got through to her was making her realise that most wild animals don't eat all day and are not designed to and that it is actually very good for them to fast occassionally.

Some people just love their pets so much they can't say no.

I had been thinking that if she found it too hard to say no to pleading eyes then put the dogs outside before she eats...

When I was pet sitting recently I found it extremely hard to ignore one of the dogs, but within a few days I just realised that I coudn't handle it, so I had him outside while I ate...

Thanks for your idea's :D

Mel xx

I'm sorry Mel but thats abuse - the poor boy is morbidly obese at that weight and probably couldn't exercise. My cattle dogs get a cup of dry food a day or lamb brisket or raw food but if they are getting dry it is strictly one cup and they are fit and a healthy weight. I feel so sorry for the poor man - I just do not understand how people can kill their dogs like this. However he may have thyroid problems it is quite common in cattle dogs and a blood test would certainly be worth doing - it could potentially help his temperament too as hypothyroid cattle dogs can be quite grumpy. I hope you can get her to see sense. Also mention that he may end up with diabetes and how would she cope with twice daily injections and the need to be continually bleeding him to do blood glucose readings.

He has been seen by the Vet, so I would hope that they checked this, but will ask my mum...

As I say to people it's killing them with kindness...

I have to constantly walk around with a really skinny greyhound (no not the normal skinny), because to gain any more weight on him would affect his legs...I would love to see him heavier etc but it would be more unkind to do that...

I do recall her having a diabetic dog I think!!!! That is ringing some bells for me, will check into that too...

I use to go to school with her daughter, so I have known the family for a long time but have not had anything to do with them for many, many years...

Mum still has lunch with this lady once a week, for as long as I can remember...

Mel xx

"She isnt killing it with kindness" she killing it because shes selfish.

People who are so selfish to feel its okay to kill there own dog or give it chronic health issues are cruel owners in another form.

Who in there right mind would want to shorten the life span of your dog ,give it athritis & yes diabetes,heart etc etc :rofl:

Dogs give unconditional luv but some owners just dont return it in the same deserving way :D

No reason to get so cranky, or make judgements...

Like I said that is what I call it, because good people do not do it on purpose...it's a learned response and we have to find effective ways to help change her habit...

The suggestions I have been given have been great and hopefully will help this dog and his owner...

Mel xx

The dog has always been aggressive, he was originally one of her sons dogs...

Her response is learnt it is not intentional, we need productive idea's to help not name calling, I mean she is not even here anyway so that is not going to help...

If I and my mother agreed with what was happening, I wouldn't be posting here to get extra help and idea's...

Mel xx

maybe instead of kibble the dog could be fed a home prepared diet ( according to weightloss recipies) As kibble has a fairly high calorie content the amount of food always look pathetically small. The home prepared diet would "look" more and perhaps therefore fulfill the owners need to feed a lot of bulk to her dog.

We were in the same position when we were given my boyfriend's parents dog. She was a 40kg English Springer Spaniel. She is 13 years old. I was aghast, i'd seen overweight dogs, but this was ridiculous.

We bought some special pellets for 'senior, non-active' dogs. I give her half a cup morning and night, with the occasional chicken neck. She does get treats during the day, but not too many. And I also give her a small bone sometimes. So far, she's lost 10kg. We are really impressed and would you believe the old codger has started frolicking around since she lost the weight. She's got a new lease of life.

I don't know if I can help you much, because you're not really going to take this lady's dog from her. But i mean, maybe even just for a week? I don't know.

Just thought you'd like to know that there is hope. :thumbsup: