Washing Your Dog/s

booboo

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In winter Bronte only gets washed (and under sufferance) when she is smelly, so maybe twice during winter?

During summer, we spend nearly every afternoon at the local beach, so she doesn't get washed as such, but is hosed free of salt water, and she gets a good wash once a month, then flea/tick/worm treated at the same time.

I have recently found a shampoo and conditioner that still smells lovely even after 2 weeks of salt swimming..... Can't remember it's name off the top of my head, though.

Hmmm. Remember to sing stuff like "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" and your dogs are guaranteed to hate it even more.

Other than that - No Idea.

Turn the hose on and they love it. Give them a nice warm bath and they think it's torture. I cant work it out!

Dolly Stafford gets a bath whenever she needs it...depends upon whether or not she has been to the horse paddock and rolled in anything.

The American Cockers are bathed weekly. They smell very doggy very quickly otherwise and if it has been damp, their coats begin to take on the aroma of wet carpet.

And besides, they're easier to keep in coat if they're clean because dirt attracts more dirt and causes knots and hair loss.

Oh, that makes me feel like a "clean freak ! " :mad:)

I only wash him if he's smelly or dirty, and he's not a smelly dog so he doesnt need baths much at all.

Im a dog washer too :p

And.. I'll add that everyone is always commenting on how lovely his coat looks. :rolleyes:

On average mine get washed about once aevery 4 to 6 weeks on a rotational basis (too much to do them all on one day). That includes the Dally who gets done just because I happen to be 'wash mode'! :rolleyes: She is so easy though and hardly takes any time at all compared to the others. If you want to wash frequently, basically all you need to do is ensure you put in what you take out by conditioning the coat the same way you would condition your own hair.

Edited by espinay2

Although this is probably overkill on short haired dogs, mine get washed before every show so around once a week. the ones I have had since puppies actually quite anjoy it but the dogs I acquired as adults thing that bathtime sticks (pardon the pun!) :rolleyes: :mad:)

Well I'll do this in No. steps :rofl::mad

1. Catch the bloody dog (well bitch)

2. Drag her into bathroom and put her into tub

3. start the 10-15min process of trying to get her wet through all that coat :rolleyes:

4. Once wet apply shampoo (nearly 1/2 bottle) until lathered

5. Rinse off - another 10-15 mins

6. Non show week - Conditioner, followed by oiling (for all those squeaky joints :) )

7. rinse of again (no wonder where in drought :rofl: )

8. Then come the drying - that takes about another 1-2hrs to make sure she is completely dryed :rofl:

9. Scissoring and clipping.

10. Don't own a Standard Poodle :p :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Palane you need a hydrobath! :mad It would at least make steps 3 to 7 a bit easier :) . I dont think I could even contemplate the process without one any more.

Drying is the big time killer though. No getting around that one :rolleyes:

Since we got Indy a week ago, I reckon she's had more baths than in her entire lifetime. She LOVES mud. And sand. And since she's still got a puppy coat, it just sticks in and feels disgusting, so we have to bathe her.

Diesel only gets done when he gets smelly (probably every couple of months). His coat is pretty wash and wear, so if he gets dirty I just rinse his legs off and wait for him to dry, then brush the dirt out.

I wash my Stafford weekly. He is an inside dog and I find he gets a little smelly, especially when he goes over the road and runs in the lake.

He will actually get in the bath tub and sit there, waiting for a bath, even when I am just on the bathroom doing my hair.

He is a silly boy!!

My dog seems to be forever wet :rolleyes:

She's in the ocean x3 a day , then when we get home I rinse her with the hose , she only gets a bath maybe once a month like this morning.

1/2 way through soaping her up a friend knocked on the front door, I yell out come round the back , Bella does her block , then goes all silly when she sees who it is and runs up to my friend , shakes and shares the bubbles :mad

I just found an empty shampoo bottle out side , it must have tipped over in the washing basket in the commotion and leaked , it's all gone , expensive stuff as well :p

I soooo love female dogs , they smell much nicer ! My Bella never has an odour to her :)

(not saying all male dogs smell , but mine always have phewie)

I wash my little mutt when he starts to smell :mad

It's usually about every 3-4 weeks, but he got twice in one week last week, because somehow he got so excited that he rolled on his back and managed to pee in his ear. He's a clever one :rolleyes: