Reason To De-sex Your Pet/non Breeding Bitch

OMG - Today I got to witness my first ever case of pyometra! EWW it was DISGUSTING. A Staffy came in as she'd been having a black discharge for a few weeks, and hadn't eaten for a few days. Discovered she had pyometra!

So we had to do an emergency de-sexing, and I was shocked to say the least! The usually little girly insides were massive like 2 big long SALAMI's you get from the Deli, but with veins, and totally FULL OF PUS!!!

So if anyone out there has a female who you don't intend breeding from, or who is now too old to breed with, PLEASE get her de-sexed ASAP - so then Veterinary staff don't have to witness this kind of thing, and you don't get hit with a big vet bill if it happens to your dog!

Thanks for reading,

-WithEverythingIAm

My girl had Pyometra which I had seen to within 3 days but she still had to be desexed. I can not believe anybody would wait 3 weeks :thumbsup: . My girl was just lethargic for a couple of days and then I saw the discharge, she went straight to the vet. My girl would have died without the hystorectomy. If caught early enough it can be treated nowadays. My girl was being shown hence why she was not desexed.

Cheers,

Corine

A pyo can be insidious , small " maybe " signs that something is wrong , usually not really taken notice of until too late & there is this dreadfull pus filled horror to remove . Seen it so many times . I actually dropped a uterus that was the salami look as described @ the begining of this topic . It was so HUGE and slippery, it was too difficult to handle . What a mess !!! :thumbsup: Luckily it was completley out of the poor bitch & just affected me & the vet who both had a long cleaning up session after said bitch was happily recovering after surgery . She was right as rain . The same could not be said for us as we mopped up the mess with a million towels that then found their way straight to the bin . YUCK

When I was nursing, we had a Husky with a Pyo and there was 2.6kg of puss!!! I still have the photos to whip out and show anyone that says that they dont need to desex there bitches!!!

You should post them and then make it a sticky so that whenever the to desex or not desex debate happens on DOL again the photos are close at hand

When I was nursing, we had a Husky with a Pyo and there was 2.6kg of puss!!! I still have the photos to whip out and show anyone that says that they dont need to desex there bitches!!!

Did you actually squeeze the pus out n weigh it? OMG that is GROSS. It was bad enough just THINKING of the pus inside, let alone actually squeezing it out. Eww. We took out a 5ml syringe and extracted that much, and put it next to the "salami" for size comparisions. That was bad enough. I've never been a fan of pus - it reminds me of infection. Blood, Guts, Spew, Poo, and other bodily excretements don't worry me - just pus LOL

-WithEverythingIAm

PS - Bring on the pics :thumbsup:

Yes pyometra is a dreadful problem, but not that many entire bitches get it.

Having had show dogs for 30 years I have only ever had 2 bitches desexed - one because her hormone levels weren't good, which led to a very low grade pyo, and her daughter, who was desexed at 8 due to some mammary lumps. Many of my girls exceeded the average age for their breed without ever getting it.

Here's the definition of pyometra from a very useful on-line vet manual found at:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp

"Pyometra is a hormonally mediated diestrual disorder characterized by an abnormal uterine endometrium with secondary bacterial infection. In the normal bitch, the corpora lutea produce progesterone for 9-12 wk after ovulation in each estrous cycle. If pregnancy does not occur after a cat is induced to ovulate, the life span of the corpora lutea is ~45 days.

Etiology: Factors associated with occurrence of pyometra include administration of long-lasting progestational compounds to delay or suppress estrus, administration of estrogens to mismated bitches, and postinsemination or postcopulation infections. Progesterone promotes endometrial growth and glandular secretion while decreasing myometrial activity. Cystic endometrial hyperplasia and accumulation of uterine secretions ultimately develop and provide an excellent environment for bacterial growth. Progesterone may also inhibit the WBC response to bacterial infection. Bacteria from the normal vaginal flora or subclinical urinary tract infections are the most likely source of uterine contamination. Escherichia coli is the most common bacterium isolated in cases of pyometra, although Staphylococcus , Streptococcus , Pseudomonas , Proteus spp , and other bacteria also have been recovered. Because queens require copulatory stimulation to ovulate, form corpora lutea, and produce progesterone, pyometra is less common in queens than in bitches. Administration of medroxyprogesterone and other progestational compounds has been associated with development of pyometra in bitches and queens. Pyometra can develop in uterine tissue left after ovariohysterectomy (stump pyometra). Pyometra can also occur secondary to postpartum metritis.

Estrogen, by itself, does not contribute to the development of cystic endometrial hyperplasia or pyometra. However, it does increase the stimulatory effects of progesterone on the uterus. Administration of exogenous estrogens to prevent pregnancy (ie, “mismate shots”) during diestrus greatly increases the risk of developing pyometra and should be discouraged.

Clinical and Laboratory Findings: Clinical signs are seen during diestrus, usually 4-8 wk after estrus, or after administration of exogenous progestins. The signs are variable and include lethargy, anorexia, polyuria, polydipsia, and vomiting. When the cervix is open, a purulent vulvar discharge, often containing blood, is present. When the cervix is closed, there is no discharge and the large uterus may cause abdominal distention. Signs can progress rapidly to shock and death.

Physical examination reveals lethargy, dehydration, uterine enlargement, and if the cervix is patent, a sanguineous to mucopurulent vaginal discharge. Only 20% of affected animals have a fever. Shock may be present.

The leukogram of animals with pyometra is variable and may be normal; however, leukocytosis characterized by a neutrophilia with a left shift is usual. Leukopenia may be found in animals with sepsis. A mild, normocytic, normochromic, nonregenerative anemia (PCV of 28-35%) may also develop. Hyperproteinemia due to hyperglobulinemia may be found. Results of urinalysis are variable. With E coli uterine infection, isosthenuria due to endotoxin-induced impairment of renal tubular function or to insensitivity to antidiuretic hormone (or both) may develop. A glomerulonephropathy caused by immune-complex deposition may result in proteinuria. These renal lesions are potentially reversible once the pyometra is resolved.

Diagnosis: Pyometra should be suspected in any ill, diestrual bitch or queen, especially if polydipsia, polyuria, or vomiting is present. The diagnosis can be established from the history, physical examination, and abdominal radiography and ultrasonography. Vaginal cytology is often helpful in determining the nature of the vulvar discharge. The complete blood count, biochemical profile, and urinalysis help exclude other causes of polydipsia and polyuria and vomiting; they also evaluate renal function, acid-base status, and septicemia. The uterine exudate should be cultured and sensitivity tests performed. Differential diagnoses include pregnancy and other causes of vulvar discharge, polyuria and polydipsia, and vomiting.

Treatment and Prognosis: Ovariohysterectomy is the treatment of choice, but medical management could be considered if it is desired to salvage the reproductive potential of the bitch or queen. Fluids (IV) and broad-spectrum, bactericidal antibiotics should be administered. Fluid, electrolyte, and acid-base imbalances should be corrected as quickly as possible, before ovariohysterectomy is performed. The bacterial infection is responsible for the illness and will not resolve until the uterine exudate is removed. Oral antibiotics (based on the results of the culture and sensitivity) should be continued for 7-10 days after surgery.

Medical therapy with prostaglandin (PG) F2α can be used for animals to be bred in the future, although prostaglandins are not approved in the USA for use in cats or dogs. Prostaglandins cause luteolysis, contraction of the myometrium, relaxation of the cervix, and expulsion of the uterine exudate. Probably, they should not be used in animals >8 yr old or those not intended for breeding. The delay before clinical improvement and the many side effects of PGF2α preclude its use in a severely ill animal. PGF2α also should be used with caution in the bitch or queen with a closed-cervix pyometra because the risk of uterine rupture is increased. Pregnancy must be ruled out because prostaglandins can induce abortion.

Only naturally occurring PGF2α (0.25 mg/kg body wt, SC, s.i.d. for 5 days) should be used in the bitch and queen. Synthetic analogs (eg, cloprostenol, fluprostenol, and prostalene) are much more potent than natural PGF2α but have not been evaluated for use in dogs or cats. Broad-spectrum, bactericidal antibiotics, chosen on the basis of culture and sensitivity tests, should be given for ≥2 wk. Other effects of PGF2α include restlessness, anxiety, panting, hypersalivation, pacing, abdominal pain, tachycardia, vomiting, urination, and defecation. In cats, vocalization and intense grooming behavior also may be seen. These reactions disappear within 2 hr of the injection. The LD50 of PGF2α in dogs is 5.13 mg/kg body wt. Severe ataxia, respiratory distress, and muscle tremors may be seen in queens given 5 mg/kg. If severe side effects occur, IV fluids at rates appropriate for treatment of shock are indicated. Uterine evacuation after an injection is variable. Daily vaginal douches with tepid 1% tamed iodine solution are beneficial in promoting vaginal drainage, cervical dilation, and uterine evacuation.

The animal should be reexamined 2 wk after completion of medical therapy. If a sanguineous or mucopurulent vulvar discharge or uterine enlargement is still present, PGF2α therapy, using the same protocol, may be repeated; however, the prognosis for recovery is much worse. Usually, the prognosis for an animal undergoing ovariohysterectomy is good. After medical therapy, the prognosis for initial resolution of the pyometra is good if the cervix is open, but guarded to poor if closed. Of those animals that respond, as many as 90% of the bitches and 70% of the queens with open-cervix pyometra may be fertile. Only 50% of bitches with closed-cervix pyometra are reported to return to fertility. Recurrence is likely—of bitches treated medically for pyometra, 70% had recurrence within 2 yr. Therefore, the animal should be bred on the next and each subsequent cycle until the desired number of puppies or kittens has been obtained, and then spayed."

My bitch crashed with pyometra just one week after her first chemotherapy for lymphoma. Talk about bad luck and in such a young dog from which we'd hoped to breed on some of her magic temperament. It was a very expensive surgery quite aside from the gruelling time she had. We were lucky it was an 'open' pyometra so she was taken to the vet as soon as the first sign of discharge appeared.

That happened to me when I was nursing too, we pulled it out of a cattle dog and it was absolutely HUGE! Then it slipped and (luckily) dropped into the bucket on the floor of the surgery and exploded - it was one of the grossest things I have ever seen. Give me a catfight abcess any day.

earlier this year,I noticed my mum's 7 yo bitch had a mucky discharge, a few weeks post-season. As I didn't have a car available, and it was an "open" pyo, after speaking with the vet ,she was on HIGH dose oral antibiotic for the day until I could get her to town.She was taken to the vet & speyed,etc..We got her very early..absolutely no other sign of illness other than a bit of discharge.she didn't even have a high temp!

No probs recovery wise..and now no more problems !

We were lucky... :laugh: