Heeeeelp - What Is Wrong With My Clipper Blades?

I am hoping someone can help solve the mystery of my now-useless clipper blades. I have Thrive 900 clippers and size 10 and 30 blades, purchased Jan 2005 and lovingly cared for (used abour 5 times each). They got some fir stuck under the top part of the blade, so I slid (slud?) it out, removed the fur and slid it back in as per instructions. Now neither blade will work :D :p :) :D . They just sit there, stuck in the fur and dont cut through it. :clap::laugh: :p

I oil them whenever I use them, only clip clean (just bathed) dogs, and took them apart and put them back together according to the manufacturers instructions. ARGGGGHHHH. Does anyone know what might be going on??

This is what my clipper blades look like. You can see how the top cutting bit slides out for cleaning .....

post-22-1135254019.jpg

Edited by BittyMooPeeb

Well, I know we all THINK we have followed the instructions <g> but from your description it seems you have not put the blades back in 100% correctly.

I know that my clippers specify, for instance, that the blade should be clicked back into position with the motor actually running.

So it may well be just some small detail, like they aren't fully pushed onto the little tongue, or some such.

Good luck with them.

before actually putting the blade to the fur, does the blade run smoothly ??? If BOTH blades are no longer working I suspect it is the little plastic piece (if it is an ANDIS or OSTER clipper for example), that drives the blade that may be damaged and this would be why the blade "stuck" in the first place...

We sell andis dog clippers and use them on our show jump stallions and that little plastic part is usually the bit that gives...

Here is the link ;

http://www.peasridge.co.uk/clipper-advice/...-cordless.shtml

Have a read about the "blade drive assembly"...

Here is a drawing of the plastic piece I suspect to be broken...

post-22-1135283871.jpg

Edited by pampa

Hi Pampa,

the blades do seem to run smoothly before being put to fur. I didnt think that the problem was with the clippers, as when my no 10 blade stopped working, I switched to my new no 30 blade, which was fine until I cleaned it, then it stopped working too :hug: . I suppose this plastic bit you mention could have deteriorated - would that happen after only 8 uses over one year?

Hi dragondancer, I do reattach the blade while the clippers are running, so that part is OK :clap: . I've removed and put on the blades heaps of times, so dont think I am doing this wrong. I just didnt take them apart to clean them till recently (when I read this in the instruction book ;) ).

So ... I am still looking for more help/advice :cheer:

Hi BMP,

Spray/oil your blade again and make sure it is sitting firmly on the clipper. They seem to look ok. Sometimes when a dog is just washed and has some electricity in the coat, they do not travel through the hair properly and hair gets caught in the clipper teeth. Take blade off again, slide apart and make sure no hair is underneath. Best to brush out with blade brush. Put back on when clipper is running and make sure it is sitting firmly on the clippers. I doubt if they are blunt, as you do not clip that often. Good luck. pm me if you need any more help.

Edited by schnauzer

They prolly need sharpening :clap: You may have only done a small number of clips but if you're cutting through thick or coarse hair- well they do go blunt eventually.

I probably get 20 clips out of my blades, they are easy fine hair mitsu type dogs...then I put them in for sharpening, realigning and a general clean.

Apparently the 'wings' on each side of the clipper also wear and need replacing eventually.

Mel.

ETA: If you're doing a 'dirty' clip- that is chopping all the hair off before you bathe the dog- then a clean clip afterwards, they do blunt quicker.

Edited by StaffordsRule

I normally rest my blades in blue kero 24/7 when not in use. Flush blade regularly in blue kero whilst working much to the disgust of john from Kramar. I get about 200 hrs between sharpens per blade. If I get a blunt blade whilst clipping I seperate the blade, put some kero on a mirror and do figure eights with the top and bottom blade then re assemble the blade. Using only blue kero as lube and flush i get no probs at all. If when working in hot weather the blade gets real hot it can be cooled by using Metho in the same maner as kero. Then use the kero to lubricate the blade again before starting to clip again. This works for me it may for others too.

Before you slid your blades apart did they get hot and bind up ?

If so seperate them again by taking the screws out try the kero on a mirror using figure eight motion with the top and bottom blades. then reassemble them and see how that works.

Chris

Sounds to me like you have just simply got to much oil on the blades, if oil gets onto the teeth of the blade then the hair will just get stuck and the clippers won't go through the coat.

How much oil do you use? I put on 2 drops maximum and this is only done a few times a year - I use my blades 5 days a week and they haven't needed to be sharpened for nearly 2 years now!

Try just wiping the blades with an absorbent cloth and put them back together if they work a little better then just soak them over night in some blade wash and do not oil them before you next use them (store covered in an oily rag if they are in a damp atmosphere to avoid rust forming).

hmm.. could be blunt, could be too oily,

when you clean do you pull the cutting edge completely out? I have a lot of trouble putting it back properly when I do this so I only slide them out halfway on each side when cleaning.

To answer your question YES that little plastic part is designed to break under strain to avoid the motor burning out and so it is possible that even new it could break... A friend borrowed a new clipper from me once and she tried to clip the shetland pony straight from the paddock... She bought it back an hour later to say the clipper was faulty :p

Needless to say, the plastic bit snapped as soon as it touched the mud-caked hair !

If you clipped a clean dog with maybe a tiny bit of moisture left in the coat this may cause a "snag", it might well be enough to have damaged the plastic thingy which will still work correctly until put "under pressure" ie : you try to clip hair...

BTW, in 7 years as an ANDIS representative and having clipped over 100 horses, I've personally NEVER unslid the blades, ever... If they don't cut, I send them to be sharpened, the experts pull them appart to sharpen them but they know the exact tension to put on the screws for them to work correctly...

I tell my clients to do like-wise... Is it possible that in "unsliding" them, the screws have loosened somewhat ?... Sorry not to be able to help more...

Edited by pampa

I agree either too much oil, blunt or not put back together again,some blades just dont have the same life as others.

Also what a dog is washed in can have a baring when clipping some stuff just makes the coat crap.

We dont always oil straight away but use a tooth brush to get hair out of blades.

We generally get our blades sharpened once a year but the blades requiring sharping have different ages & we too use them 5-6 days a week.

Brands can aslo play a factor some are just useless & snag too often

The other thing I forgot to mention was about sliding the blades out - only slip them half way as removing the top blade from the bottom blade can alter the tension set between the 2 blades - if this is the case then send them off to be sharpened and they should come back working fine!

Thanks everyone for your advice, and sorry for taking so long to reply - I've been away for xmas in a computer free zone ;) :D

I think the 'too much oil' and the 'tension incorrect' problems are the most likely. I didnt realise that you dont need to oil the blades very often - I think my instruction manual says to oil them every use, which I diligently have done :) (and once mid use just for good measure :bottom: ).

I had *heaps* of trouble getting the top blade back in, so maybe did stuff up the tension. I'll take everyones advice and not take them all the way out in future (I only took them apart cause the instruction book said too ;) ).

I'll see if a de-oiling works, and if not will send them off to get sharpened. :p

• 3 weeks later...
I am hoping someone can help solve the mystery of my now-useless clipper blades. I have Thrive 900 clippers and size 10 and 30 blades, purchased Jan 2005 and lovingly cared for (used abour 5 times each). They got some fir stuck under the top part of the blade, so I slid (slud?) it out, removed the fur and slid it back in as per instructions. Now neither blade will work  :mad  :love:  :love:  :mad . They just sit there, stuck in the fur and dont cut through it.  :D  :cry:  :cry:

I oil them whenever I use them, only clip clean (just bathed) dogs, and took them apart and put them back together according to the manufacturers instructions. ARGGGGHHHH. Does anyone know what might be going on??

This is what my clipper blades look like. You can see how the top cutting bit slides out for cleaning .....

Thrive Blades need more tension than they have when new, the correct tension that they should have is 1kg, and is the same for all other clipper blades, this is best done by a clipper blade sharpening man/lady, most sharpeners don't know the correct tension, they just guess, if the tension is to soft the fur will get between the top & bottom plate on your blades, to tight the blade will get hot quickly, and the steel will distort, and then they won't cut, go to this site for more blade info,nicestman77. :laugh:

My Webpage

Bittymopeep

Go with the advice from Nicestman, he knows what he is talking about, if you read my posting on p 2 re Blade Sharpening and Servicing, you will see a thread about him and his customer service, he has also offered to test my blades free of charge.

When my blades come back I will reveal the culprit in QLD.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone and thanks for all your advice. The problem turned out to be the tension - I had stuffed it up by taking the cutting blade out entirely (WHY doesn't the manual even mention this???). I took my blades to a place in Canberra (I heard about nicestman on the day I got BACK from a holiday to Moruya area - luck wasn't on my side with this one :eek: ). I got them back today and will use them on the weekend. They had better work!

(ps thankyou too to the lovely DOLer who has been tirelessly lending me her clippers and blades while I got mine sorted :D )