Reactions To Metacam

Hi all

about 10 days ago my girl hurt her back pretty badly and we could not get into the Vet Chiro for a few days. the vet at the other Clinic gave her Metacam as pain relief.

Well within 2-3 days she was really ill with explosive diarrhoea and had her at the Vets at 4am last Sunday morning. She was placed on a drip for over 48hrs and given metranidazole.

I have since found a website on adverse reactions to medications in dogs and I was totally mortified when I read all the dogs that had reacted and died

link

www.dogsadveresreactions.com

My girl is on the mend now but how many owners have not known why their dogs are so ill after being given one of these drugs??

Metacam was a daily godsend to my badly arthritic Labrador mix Jody, allowing her to live relatively pain free from age 15 until her death at 22!. I'm sorry your dog was one of the small percentage that had an adverse reaction and glad that she recovered.

Hi Inspector Rex

sorry about your girl,so glad she on the mend and is her back better?

I have used Metacam lots of times with no adverse reactions, but only found out after the third time, that you should give the meds with food, were you told that?

We have had great success with Metacam the worse illness being after my old girls spey and she went into shock during the night, her white blood cell count was abnormal, my vet gave her Pethadine and Metacam injection and within half an hour she was back to her usual self. Have used for Pano in a young pup, a crick in a neck and more.

The drug is great for arthritis too so much so my vets human clients wish they could take it like their old dog, but it does not work on humans the same way, sadly

As Nadia said all meds do have some adverse reactions with some patients.

Have you heard of other Collies having the same problem? Aren't Collies allergic to Ivermec???? my memory is a bit fuzzy

:banghead: sighthounds, with wolfhounds in particular, are VERY succeptible to adverse reactions from NSAIDS. every wolfhound I know of who has been prescribed metacam - has had reactions, ranging from mild diahreah, to pheunmonia & death.

Along with anaesthetics, the NSAIDS are one of the issues we highlight in our puppy booklet, as needing very careful administration in wolfies.

Most wolfies clubs around the world have a database of adverse reactions to the NSAIDS by our breed.

fifi

edited for spelling, still wrong, brain meltdown!

Edited by fifi

Holly, the human meloxicam (metacam) is marketed as Mobic. My vet actually prescribes this over metacam. Firstly it is cheaper, &, secondly because it is in tablet form & not a suspension there are no drawbacks about the animal getting the correct dose if it is not mixed properly prior to administration.

The only problem would be the unsuitability of the tablet form for small dogs, as one quarter of a 7.5mg tablet is enough to treat a 20-25kg dog.

Holly, my girl was given both injectable metacam and oral and yes followed the dosage instructions and gave with full meal.

Yes Collies are Extremely sensitive to Ivermectin. I have now become aware of 4 other Collies that had severe reactions to Metacam in the past 12mths.

I had my girl DNA tested last year for Ivermectin Sensitivity and she is Affected.(most Collies are)

Like Wolfies, Collies sometimes have issues with anaesthetics too.

Hi IR,

Duncan was on Metacam after his Tibia op as well s Morphine injections for the 1st night only. I didn't notice anything untoward when he was on it and he was on it for a while.

Sorry to hear Phoebe had a bad reaction to it :banghead: . Glad to hear she is recovering :worship: .

Regards,

Corine

Holly, my vet was charging $44 for a packet of 30. A packet of 30 lasted my 22kg dog 4 months. Compare this to Metacam which is something like $100 for the large bottle. This vet's mark up on all drugs, however, is very low when compared to other practices where I have worked. Mobic is made by Boehringer Ingelheim. Maybe you could discuss this topic with your vet & ask him to speak to the drug reps re supply? And yes, anne is correct; it is certainly a prescription only medicine!

thanks for that information, wonder how much of a mark he would put on it though or can it be bought from Chemist without a prescription?

Holly,

Vets can actually write prescriptions for human meds so that you can get them filled at the chemist for cheaper.

I get both antihistamine tabs and eye drops this way for my dogs :rolleyes:

IR, hope your girl is doing better now, its so scary when they have these reactions :)

Dan

EFS

Edited by zayda_asher

You would think a vet would be able to prescribe human medication without there being any problems having it filled - Afterall a vet has to study both human and animal anatomy etc in uni I believe.

While studying what I wanted to be in school I read somewhere in a book that to be a vet you need a 99% enter score to get into a veterinary course. A gp only required 96 ot 97% for memory.

Safe to say I didnt pursue the idea of being a vet as my chosen career :laugh:

Jess

• 6 months later...

Hi

My dog has just died thanks to the Vet who gave her an overdose of Metacam! Straight after she received the injection she went down. Please if anyone ever has a problem such as arthritis go for natural medicine and make sure you go to a trustworthy Vet that you know for several years. She was a perfectly healthy dog and was even pulling me on walks she only had a little trouble getting up one morning. Now she has lost her life due to the jerk.

We too have used metacam & alot of the dogs in boarding are on it too & none of the dogs have had reactions but it is a drug & there will always be the few dogs that react.

We are using it on a dog now that natural alternatives no longer work.

How do you now its an overdose??

We had the same sort of reaction from Stewie - within 2 days of starting him on Metacam he had horrible diarrhea and vomiting.

Ironically I had decided to shift him onto Metacam as I was concerned about him being on Rimadyl, although he'd shown no adverse side affects on Rimadyl.

We immediately ceased using the Metacam, and put him back on Rimadyl, which he remained on until he went to the bridge.

He was just one of those dogs that reacted badly to Metacam yet had no problem with Rimadyl, whereas other people have had horrible reactions to Rimadyl. Different dogs react differently, and the risk of side effects is always there.

My old fellow was on metacam for ages with no bad reactions. Eventually he was so bad that the metacam no longer had any effect. He was then switched to Zuberin which works in a slightly different way. I wonder if anyone else has used this drug as an alternative.