I Still Can't Decide When.......

Well my sweet old jenna, was diagnosed with cancer, a fews months ago now..

it's not meant to be an aggressive one, and the vet said, she will be fine for some time...just to keep her out as much pain as possible and love her heaps....

so have got her on antiflamortries and she seems happy enough still....

most of the time she sleeps except when i take her for a walk, and she still gets over excited over that!! and doesn't even go lame anymore!!

so life continues as normal as possible in the meantime...

Today my husband says to me, have you noticed jenna's losing weight rapidly??

i have, but try to not see it....

ironically, the vets have been nagging me in the past to make her lose weight, and now shes is, but shes dying!!

Hubby says its not good, shes losing weight so fast, and we might have to take it seriously now...

I'm trying to justify shes ok atm..but maybe she isnt...maybe the painkillers are just disquising the 'real' state shes in??

i haven't seen enough evidence to take action yet..but is it cause i'm trying to live in denial???

i did that before to another dog of mine with cancer and kept her alive for 2 extra years, cause i didn't want to suffer myself!!

I just dont know when to, am i just delaying it??

i'm not going to try other options at this stage of it..she nearly 15 and has bad athritis as well.....if she was younger i would do 'anything' for her

:banghead:

I know you guys cant tell me when...i just need some thoughts :worship:

MSJ

So sorry for you, I can relate. My Dane Sam has had cancer removed 12 months ago and its just a waiting game until it comes back.

She will tell you when she's ready to go. When life is all pain and no fun, then that is when. If she is miserable all the time then it is time to let her go (and also the kindest thing to do.) If she is still happy and enjoying those walks then let her be. It doesn't matter that she sleeps alot. (I'd sleep alot too if I was old.) She may be losing weight and that might be a sign things are speeding up but improve her diet and try and slow down the weight loss.

Enjoy her final months

Jo

MSJ :worship: as TJ said youll know. When she no longer gets excited about going for walks.......is she still eating? If she is.....her not wanting to eat will let you know also.

Lost our 1st dally to liver cancer..........showed no symptoms untill it was too late....hard decission to have to make but you will know just by looking at her when to the time comes. :banghead::(

Enjoy her while she comfortable and happy :)

if you can deal with the tears, go read Crysti Lei's post in rainbow bridge about her girl Brodie who she lost last week. Tells about how she knew it was time. She also posted earlier when Brodie ws diagnosed.

Many posts in rainbow bridge will tell how people knew when it was time but it is hard to read alot of them.

Jo

What a lovely old lady she is.

This is the hardest thing about having dogs, I think. One wise piece of advice was to tally up when the bad days (i.e. when the dog's not enjoying life) outweigh the good days, then it's time. I was looking at a book in the library today - I think it was called Kindred Spirits, Kindred Care - can't remember the author. It had a couple of chapters about exactly this issue, and the author made the point that it can be different for different dogs. Assuming you can keep pain under control, some dogs are happy to keep going, while others would rather give up. It was an interesting idea.

I tend to use interest in food as a bit of a guide. When a dog who is normally a good eater, can't summon any interest in food, then you have to start thinking seriously that it might be time.

If your vet knows the dog well, that can be a help. They won't make the decision for you, but they'll give you some indications.

Good luck with the decision - we know it's got to come some day, but it doesn't make it any less hard.

Barb

MSJ - I have followed the gorgeous Jenna's story and remember when she was diagnosed with cancer.

It is soo hard to loose a beloved family member after so long and nothing, not even knowing that it is coming, will prepare you for her passing. I am sitting here with tears running down my face as I type this thinking of the heart ache that you are going through and thinking about my gorgeous Deefa girl.

She was a beautiful lab/kelpie cross and the best dog you could ask for. We got her from a neighbour when she was about five. I had just started high school. We lost her in 2004 at the ripe old age of 18. She had always been a solid girl (some people said fat but she was gorgeous to me) as she had been run over as a younger dog before we got her and her owners didn't take her to the vet and as a result one of her back legs never healed properly and she walked with a bit of a limp. This never stopped her from getting around and climbing the fence and following us the bus stop if she was left behind :banghead:. We had her for so many years, but age started to go against her and she lost her hearing and she had trouble with the arthritus that developed in her back legs. It was such a hard decision to make to have her pts and I fought it and fought it but when the evidence of her condition became painfully obvious every time that we looked at her we knew that it was time to give her her wings.

You can tell by the look in their eyes and the way they seem to "tell" you that they are ready to go. It is a very hard decision but one that we have to face when the time comes.

Just enjoy these last days,weeks and god willing months that you have with her and give her everything that you can. She will tell you when she is ready and then you will not be able to deny it to yourself any longer.

My heart goes out to your family and your most gorgeous girl Jenna. Love and healing thought being sent your way.

Anne

I lost my wonderful Golden retriever this time last year to cancer, he was only 7.

I asked myself everyday is it time? One day I looked into his eyes and knew the dog I loved was gone and the disease had taken over.

He was happy and comfortable until then, but I knew it was time. Time to say goodbye before the pain hit - there was no hope of recovery and to let him go on was not fair.

Hugs to you :confused:

All I can say is that it is better to go too early than 1 second too late. I lost my Sam to bone cancer 3 weeks after diagnosis, had a awful last few hours with him when the pain meds stopped working waiting for the vet to come. I will never ever again keep a dog alive once cancer has been diagnosed.

The dogs don't know what the needle is for, only the people, though I would swear Sam knew and welcomed it. Sam was 8.

:confused::laugh: It's not an easy decision but one only you can make.

Sorry to hear this. I feel they will let you know somehow when they don't have those little bits of spark left in them. Have you considered seeing an animal naturopath. A lot of natural medicines (herbs, homeopathics, acupunture etc) can really help. I can't remember any ones in SA but if you contact the SA college of natural medicine i'm sure they can point you in the right direction -(08) 8371 3055 or surf the web.

Hope this might help

Tim

I'm sorry MSJ :confused: It's such a hard time when things like this happen.

When you first start to wonder "Should I, is there something that's telling me it's time" then you should... Dad had thought that for a while.. but held off saying anything to us. As a result. our beautiful dog went in pain. She had a stroke the day we were going to make the decision, and she lots all feeling in her back end. Had we made the decision earlier we wouldn't have had to watch our darling girl suffer while we waited for the vet. I feel it is better to do it while the dog is still happy and enjoying life, because you will only have good memories of her, not with bad memories of her going downhill.

Edited by Vizsla_Girl

I'm very sorry. I know how hard it can be to make the final decision.

I took my dog to the vets and asked him to help me deicide. When it was time he told me so, and although I already knew, it is a big help that he told me that it was the right thing to do.

I think it does make it easier to know that it really is time and that you aren't dragging them into a painful time for no reason.

Have a talk to your vet and see what they say.

I am so sorry for you its a terrible time for anyone knowing what has to be done.

Surround yourself with dog people who understand what you are going through and take no heed of the ones that don't. I lost my big Saint 14 yrs ago today to a snake. I buried him on family land in N.E. and it was just as hot. i buried his father six months later beside him. His mum lived to 13.5 yrs she finally went in the back end and became incontinent and looked at us with that look its time. So trust me they do tell you and you will know.

MSJ have read your posts and am thinking of you. ((((((((hugs)))))))))

My 14yr old girl went off her food. She had arthritis but was still living a good life. She decided to slow and then stop eating and no amount of her favourite bbq chicken or ham would tempt. So for me that was the time. Bloody hardest thing I have ever had to do but the kindest in the long run. I was asked to weigh her at the vets, I told the girl that I didn't think it was necessary. I weighed her anway and she had lost 7kgs in as many months and I hadn't noticed :confused: she was over weight.

As hard as it is I believe that you will know when the time is right for your girl. It is hard for those who have loved. I had my girl cremated and I now have her here with me in a beautiful timber box.

Sorry to hear about Jenna. She looks like such a lovely dog. I went through it all with an 8yo cat with cardiomyopathy - heart failure. One day, when waiting in the vet, it suddenly struck me. Looking at all the other animals, full of life and vigour, then looking at my poor cat being so ill and low in spirits, not much quality of life anymore.

This might be time to try and let go a bit and lean on your husband. Trust him that he can see things a bit more objectively than you. Perhaps sit down together and make a bit of a plan. Whilst it is not "urgent" it would be good to be mindful of the best way you can care for her when her time has come to say goodbye.