Diagnose My Puppy's Diet!

indi_dog

Hi!

I have a nearly five month old female border collie. She alternates between -ahem- nice solid poos and diarrhea. We usually get a "not so nice" poo once a day (ie. it's liquid) on average.

I was feeding her on puppy supercoat, but she was very itchy so now we are feeding Eukanuba dry food for puppies. I'm following the breeders diet exactly (except she recommended pal or supercoat, and I don't want to feed pal), but I think something just isn't going down well with Indi... she's only my second dog- my first bc could eat literally anything and it wouldn't affect her- but Indi seems really sensitive and I'm unsure what to change in her diet...

Here's the menu:

Breakfast: 1/2 cup Eukanuba (puppy) plus 100ml prepared Biolac

Lunch: 1/2 cup Eukanuba (puppy) plus 1/2 small tin sardines in oil (I don't tip the oil in though)

Dinner: 1/2 cup Eukanuba (puppy) plus either a handfull of mince, or some boiled vegies (potato, carrot, suede etc) and rice

For the odd treat she does get a pigs ear. I gave her a raw meaty lambs bone to chew on but it made her throw up.

The breeder says we can feed her cooked egg too, but she always leaves the egg behind. Mild cheese was also on the menu, but she threw that up so I don't give it to her anymore.

The vet recommends that she eat rice when she has diarrhea, but surely I can't feed that to her everyday? They didn't really comment much on her diet either when I mentioned it, so not much help there...

Indi is perfectly healthy and energetic otherwise- her tummy isn't noisy, and doesn't seem sore either. Her coat is super soft and shiny and she has waaaay too much energy.

Can anyone suggest a better diet or maybe some alternatives to what I'm feeding above? It's just that it's so hard to pick up yucky poos when I'm walking her EWWWWW!

Just wondering why so many dog bickies in one day. I usually only give this once a day. Have you tried chicken necks, wings, pet mince. Something is obviously upsetting her tummy if she throws up certain foods. i would see the vet as they can diagnose what she may be allergic to. Most of what you are doing is great, just remember all dogs are different, and we all bump into problems. Good luck and keep us posted. By the sounds of it she/he has a tummy bug. Do you regularly worm? Fully vacc etc.

regarding the veges: you need to subsitute some of those carbs for green leafy veges in the long run. but that is off topic.

it sounds like puppy has an allergy.. the way to find out what it is allergic to is to slowly one by one delete certain food groups from the diet.

ie. give her a week without the fish and see if that works... if not.. put the fish back and take away the .... then... then....

if it is an allergy you will find it this way, it sounds like one given that the supercoat made her particularly itchy.. sounds like a food intolerance maybe.

if u have only just changed the biscuits it could be that you did it a little quickly.. some dogs get used to a certain biscuit if you take it away quickly they can get the upsets..... really you should slowly substitute half half etc then slowly to the point of complete change.

don't forget to rule out illness or wormies :rolleyes:

regarding the rice... u can give every day just not in huge amounts.. remember it is like people.... everything in moderation...

hope u find the problem soon

Edited by Staffy-Lover

hi Sivaro,

yep- she's regularly wormed and we are always on the dot with the heartworm treatment. Same goes with vaccinations! She's had her C5. I try hard to be very health conscious (doubly so with the vaccinations as parvo freaks me out).

I did take her to the vet a couple of times for this on again- off again diarrhea. Both times he said she didn't have a tummy bug, though he did give her an injection (antibiotics I believe?) just incase, and some scourban to take home. The second time I took her in, he did say that not all diarrhea is attributed to a stomache bug and I didn't need to take her in everytime she had it- it could be something she ate (I was paranoid about parvo at the time, because one of the puppy kinder pups had come down with a viral infection- though the vet assured me it wasn't parvo).

Do you think I'm feeding too much dry? I'm just going by what my breeder reccomended because I figured maybe that's what Indi was used to and I don't want to upset her stomache. I'm not really sure how many bikkies to feed as I'm also supplementing her food with other things (like the sardines). The local pet food/ accessorie stores around here aren't that helpful either, they just try and sell me a different kind of dog bikkie.

Haven't tried the chicken necks or wings yet - I'm assuming raw? Haven't tried pet mince either... Do you think she's old enough to eat the chicken bones?

At least she's not itchy anymore- one less problem to tackle I 'spose.

Apologies for the long post- it's just that I'm really trying hard to give her a good diet...

the packet should give you a rough estimat of what to feed... but when you give other food to supplement u have to reduce the dry....

my staffy is not good with fish products... so it could well be the sardines... try not giving for a week and see if it helps..

pet mince is not the greatest full of fatty yickky stuff... better to give a better grade of less fatty meat.

good luck :rolleyes:

Hi,

I see that you are giving her Biolac, that may upset her tummy, is it after this that she has the "runs" so to speak, I would give her Lactose free milk, can be bought at the supermarket, it is for humans.

Some dogs are lactose intolerant, and it can cause them to throw up etc.

I give my puppies for supper, a couple of tablespoons of Yoghurt with abc the one I use also has bush honey in it, which makes it more palatable, if you cannot get this just add a teaspoon of honey. The Yoghurt has good bacteria puts a lining on the stomach, and honey is a great antiseptic, so the two combine have a soothing effect on the intestines.

Her diet seems really balance for a five month old, and no she is not too young to have chicken necks, RAW, no COOKED bones, but for a puppy, I usually get the chicken shears out and cut the necks into bite size pieces, the bones are a good source of calcium.

You have had some very good advice on this forum, hope something that we have all suggested will help Indi :rolleyes:

Yes I would definately be dropping the Biolac. She is old enough now to not need it. Potato is a not so good one too.

The Pedigree ( Pal) biscuits performance or puppy formula is quite good.From my experience the Eukanuba is over priced and over rated.

The sardine oil is good for her. Her diet seems to be good other than I would stop with the biolac and potatoes.

I wouldnt worry too much, pupies have sensitive bellies sometimes and unless she is showing obvious signs of sickness I wouldnt be too concerned with soft poo.

I don't think that she needs the biolac and I with regards to the sardines, as others have said some dogs just don't tolerate them well.

I feed sardines but open the tin and tip the entire contents into a container and mash it up with a fork, I would give each dog about two flat teaspoons with their meal.

You could try chicken necks and wings, they are really good and the bone hardens the poos.

:rolleyes:

Thank you so much for your advice guys- really appreciated :rolleyes:

For starters, then, I'll try dropping the Biolac and introducing a tiny bit of yoghurt and see how she goes with that... I think I know which yoghut you mean Mjosa.

I'll also pick up some raw chicken necks and wings today as well and gradually introduce them into dinner.

And if the poos don't improve I'll try dropping the sardines...

OK I think I have a plan of attack... Thank you x a million! I will start the gradual change of diet today and let you know how I go...

:rolleyes:

At five months, she really doesn't need the Biolac any more. Could be what is upsetting her stomach.

I've got a six month old BC girl too - funnily enough, her name is Indy :o Here's what she gets meals-wise, every day;

- 4tbsp chicken pet mince (yep, bones and all) and 1/2 cup of Purina dry food.

- a dollop of yoghourt (natural), and a 4x2 biscuit

- a chicken wing OR a lamb rosette and 1 cup of Purina dry.

About once a week she also get a tin of sardines in oil, some liver/offal, as well as any leftover veggies etc.

You may find that including more bone in her diet will firm up her poos as well - a 5mth old can definately handle bones. Both of mine have been eating chicken wings (raw) from before I bought them home - probably around 6-7weeks old. You might have to break it up a bit for her first if she's not quite sure what to do with it.

ETA: Really should read the other replies first - looks like it's all already been said! :laugh:

Edited by Melisski

Hi Melisski- I'm glad for any suggestions, so don't mind if they keep coming through at all! Plus it means I can add more alternatives to my list if I need to adjust her diet...

I've given the Biolac away! I asked our vet about it too and she said that it can curdle in their stomache. ew...

A question about the chicken wings- can they just eat the wing tip, or can they eat the whole wing (by that I mean the second joint "bit" that's connected to the wing tip? lol)

I bought some raw chicken necks today. They look so gross, so I'm sure Indi will love them.

ps. Indi has decided to supplement her diet with a balloon :laugh: . The horrible creature swallowed it just as I grabbed her mouth to remove it. The vet says just to watch her, so fingers crossed she's OK.

Yep, they can eat the whole wing. Indy (mine) scoffs hers, although at first she wasn't quite sure what to do with them so I'd break them in half at the joint. She mostly got fed raw chicken necks until I got her (at four months) so it took her a while to get used to them.

I agree, raw chicken necks look :laugh:

The horrible creature swallowed it just as I grabbed her mouth to remove it. The vet says just to watch her, so fingers crossed she's OK.

I think it must be in the name - mine eats all sorts of disgusting and stupid things. Last night I caught her disembowelling a stuffed toy and then playing with the insides. She'll also rip up toilet rolls (new) and spread it all over the lounge/carpet/house.

I think it must be in the name - mine eats all sorts of disgusting and stupid things. Last night I caught her disembowelling a stuffed toy and then playing with the insides. She'll also rip up toilet rolls (new) and spread it all over the lounge/carpet/house.

Indi likes eating my little collection of stuffed border collie toys!! They used to be so soft- now they're all spikey and horrible!!!! :laugh:

Chicken necks make a fabulous component of a pupy diet. They have protein, fat and calcium all in the one yummy teeth cleaning snack. Be aware the pup may have trouble with them if she is teething though. You can chop them into little pieces if she does.

OK- Indi just met her first chicken neck... was a bit confused with it at first and was happy to hurl it around the kitchen for a while... But she's come to the conclusion that they are nice! :laugh:

She did have a little trouble crunching it, so I might have to chop the next one up (ew I was hoping I wouldn't have to touch them!!!!)

Fingers crossed her new and improved diet agrees with her!

Try feeding her some cooked chicken and see how that goes. Orson had diarrhea when he was little so I fed him some chicken. It cleared up after a while and now he's a happy puppy having chicken every day (my mum owns a wholesale chicken meat business so I have access to chicken wings, meat and carcasses!!! :laugh: )