Diagnose My Puppy's Diet!

indi_dog

:love::rofl: I am with you noisymina, but you forgot about the hearts and stomach lining (tripe) :rofl::rofl: By the way they are very good in a dogs diet as well for something different, my kids are having lamb hearts for dinner tonight and it is like a treat for them, it is uncooked, they have them every Thursday.

Indi you will get used to handling these types of things, just think they are so good for your girl. Won't mention brains :rofl::rofl: don't feed them as the dogs get the irrates with them

I'm with you noisymina, they are too good for the dogs.

Just love a plate of crumbed brains.

Indi, I think that your girl will be wondering what Mum is doing when preparing chicken necks hearts kidneys and liver, which she will love to eat and more to the point good for her, with you standing there blindfolded gloves up to the elbow, cutting up her tea. :love::rofl::rofl:

Indi already likes the taste of my poor hands noisymina, I think she would greatly appreciate a few bits to chomp on :love:

She sits there watching me prepare her chicken necks with a super long pair of tongs and a knife from underneath her doggy eyebrows... like she's saying "WHAT on earth are you doing???". I know she already thinks I'm weird :rofl:

if she doesn't tolerate the yoghurt you could try a Dairy-free probioitc capsule. I use Micro-genics one bought from the health food shop and open it up ans sprinke on food.

Pups eat some real delights. My 15mth old Rough Collie pup found some cat poop in the yard yesterday and ate it :love: . The she found a half-eaten apple a bird must have dropped and thought it was wonderful until I caught her and took it off her.

Our furkids just love the gross us out

Ohhh your a killjoy Inspector Rex, fancy taking the apple of her......she found it so she shoulda been able to eat it,bird slag and all.............actually it wouldn't have hurt for her to have the apple...........better that than the cat poop,even though dogs do find it a delicacy............YUK !

INDY DOG, why don't you change over to a complete BARF diet for your pup(?) or if you want to keep feeding a good quality dry,then only give it at "one" meal,then feed her raw chicken necks/wings with EITHER some vegies,fruit,yoghurt or offal etc for the other two meals of the day?

You don't want to be feeding "balanced" in every meal, it is to high in protien for a growing dog, which is what you do when you feed a high grade commercial dry food . The trick is to feed 'balanced' over a period of time, say over a few days..

For example, you don't eat meat and veg for breakfast,dinner and tea, you eat different things at each meal and different things each day of the week,which adds up to having a balanced diet over the week. The same should be for your dog, balanced diet with varying foods over a few days.

For my pups, they had raw meaty chicken necks/hips/wings most days ,but each week ,instead of the chicken ,they would have a whole pork Hock OR half a rabbit or a very meaty raw VEAL bone to chomp on ,along with their juiced vegies,sometimes fruit.........offal twice a week......egg twice a week, sardines in oil once a week etc , yogurt everyday etc. Their diet was balanced over the week.

Hi, I have to agree with Workndog as regards the high protein in the commercial dry food.

The ones you have been feeding are around 22%, much too high in our hot climate.

If you still want to feed dry and it is handy to have them familiar with eating a bit of dry food, look for something that is around 17-18%. They get enough protein from good fresh meat, fruit and vegetables without adding the extra imitation stuff.

I have found that for a tummy-troubled dog that the low protein Supercoat can be added and seems to help clear up the tummy.

I have on hand, in the fridge, acidopholis tablets for almost immediate relief for an upset stomach.

I hope your BC puppy is feeling much better and you have sorted through all the great ideas tossed your way.

Sue

I've stopped feeding her the biolac, and I don't feed her sardines everyday (she gets raw chicken necks for dinner atm). No diarrhea yet :love: and there must be something in those chicken necks because they make her extra hyper. Can you freeze chicken necks?

Oh and I've just been giving her bikkies for breakfast now... workndog what you said about the balanced meals made sense to me... so yesterday she had bikkies for breakfast, some vegies and a little rice for lunch and chicken necks for dinner (which all went down really well with her- no tummy troubles at all). I don't know much about the BARF diet (except that it has a bizarre name- can you imagine telling a non-dog person you feed your dog on a BARF diet???) so I will do some research on that too.

I'm going to start gradually introducing some of your suggestions into her diet- but I think we've made an improvement already (thanks guys!!!) and hopefully on our way to a much better diet. I just wish she's leave the cat/bird/rabbit poos and chewing gum alone (I HATE pulling that stuff out of her mouth).

ps. The balloon Indi ate the other day is -ahem- finally gone from her system... YEAH!!! :rofl:

Yes you can freeze the chicken necks.

I also freeze any other meat and bones I feed my dogs.

On a hot day it's good to give them the bones straight from the freezer - just like an ice cream treat and it will take longer to attract the flys and ants!

Another point on freezing pet meat and meat products - I ALWAYS, withour fail, freeze any meat or bones etc. before I feed it to my animals. I NEVER return from the pet shop or butcher and feed my animal what I have just bought.

I was warned a number of years ago by a very experienced breeder that some pet mince and other meat products run a risk of harbouring a certain bacteria that can make your animals very sick. BUT, if you freeze them first it kills the bugs.

This breeder had experinced first hand what a mistake it was to feed before freezing - she had to clean up after 3 mums and litters with explosive emmisions both ends! EEEEWWWWWW!

Such a simple precaution to take...

Heidi

I just wish she's leave the cat/bird/rabbit poos and chewing gum alone (I HATE pulling that stuff out of her mouth).

You do??? :rofl:

Shouldn't have too much trouble with the liver and brains, then. :rofl:

At least your dog has learned to let you take stuff from him/her if you need to - not aggressive at all. :love:

But, I tell you, I'd never take that sort of stuff off my dog - if the dog grabs that stuff, she can have it. I will, however, rescue them when they get a Macadamia shell stuck on a tooth. Have levered them off a number of times now - with a kitchen knife! :rofl:

:rofl:

Well you see I was always taught not to swallow chewing gum when I was little- so I guess I applied the same rule to Indi!

Keeping a tub of disinfectant wipes in your car (or a pocket pack in your pockets) is always handy for wiping your hands after removing disgusting things from their mouth :laugh:

Maybe I have trouble cutting up the gross meat products because I mostly live off vegies myself?

Indi was food aggressive when she was a baby and living with her brothers and sisters; she used to beat them up during food time... But I harass her during food time so she's quite happy for me to mess with her food now. My last border collie was extremely protective- you couldn't touch her bone without risking a bite- so I took a lot of precaution that Indi didn't turn out like that :scold:

She's outside enjoying a raw icky bone at the moment (didn't know about the freezing though :confused: I must make sure to remember to do that next time)

Another point on freezing pet meat and meat products - I ALWAYS, withour fail, freeze any meat or bones etc. before I feed it to my animals. I NEVER return from the pet shop or butcher and feed my animal what I have just bought.

I think that would be more to do with the fact you have bought meat from a pet supply store and not a butcher. I always buy from the butcher and never have a problem if feeding meat before freezing. The one exception was when I bought some mince from a pet store and it was on the nose by the next day, so have never done that again.

Don't forget also, that freezing kills off Vitamin E and if you will need to make sure it is given in some other form.

I think that would be more to do with the fact you have bought meat from a pet supply store and not a butcher. I always buy from the butcher and never have a problem if feeding meat before freezing. The one exception was when I bought some mince from a pet store and it was on the nose by the next day, so have never done that again.

Don't forget also, that freezing kills off Vitamin E and if you will need to make sure it is given in some other form.

I buy my meat from a butcher :confused: