Tea Tree In Dog Shampoo And Conditioner.....

pesh

Hi All

Just been at the pet shop and noticed all the shampoo and conditioners that contain tea tree. I can remember long ago, a vet said on one of those morning chat shows, not to use tea tree on a dog.

Am I remembering correctly, OR have I got it wrong again......? :D :cry:

I was told the other day by a dermcare rep that tea tree oil is bad in shampoos, as it has a drying effect which will just make the skin itchy and that its just a marketing ploy because people think it has healing properties.

I was told the other day by a dermcare rep that tea tree oil is bad in shampoos, as it has a drying effect which will just make the skin itchy and that its just a marketing ploy because people think it has healing properties.

This is exactly what my vet told me .

kelly

I don't know about dogs, but I am allergic to tea tree and can't use any products containing it :D Perhaps some dogs are allergic to it too?

I have a dog with severe allergy to Tea Tree, nasty Staph infections and stuff :cry:

What's it do to you Daisy?

Dan

Yes you remember corectly. Ti Tree oil is a big NO NO where dogs are concerned. I always remember the sign up at the vets. This displayed two products Dettol and Ti Tree oil with the warning that they can KILL.

I think the amount in the shampoos etc is safe, but I wouldn't use them. Yep, it has a drying effect on the oils in the coat, and for this reason it can reduce the effectiveness of top spot treatments like frontline, advantix etc.

When I was nursing we had an old man bring in his nearly dead cattle dog :D because someone told him that if you soak a shoelace in tea tree oil and put it around the dogs neck it repels fleas.

I know a lot of groomers who use Tea Tree based shampoos as it is supposdely helps to whiten. Personally, I wouldn't touch the stuff. I have done so many years ago, and found it to be very drying over several washes and made my dogs itchy.

I find it somewhat 'normal' for a rep to advise not to use someone elses products... :(

I use a tea tree oil based shampoo on my staffy. It helps her itchy skin...

think the trick here is to not wash once a week! More like wash every 3 or 4.