Male Desexing Implant

Erny

I actually dont mind an entire bitch in the ring, especially if it happens to be a Lab in the line up as the boys look alot better as they are trying to show off to the bitch LOL bloody males.

I can just imagine the male lab lineup .... with them all sucking their beer bellies in, thrusting out their chests, poking their tails in the air, cocking their ears and puncing around in front of the girls. :laugh:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

We used the Suprelorin implant on our 4 yr old Stafford as he was very oversexed and had been previously getting hormone injections (which helped marginally).

The result was very similar to Shoemonster's. It took about a month to become obvious but this is what we observed:

Behaviour improved dramatically

Condition/weight/coat did not change

Testes shrunk significantly (~ 75%)

Stopped hassling our desexed girl

Reduced excessive territory marking

I would also say that he was more relaxed/easier to live with and we saw more personality shine through. Seemed to last around 8 months (this was the original 6 month implant), and his testes did go back to the original size. Having seen how much his behaviour improved, we have since had him desexed.

By the sounds of it, you had a great result, Wabbit! Probably one notable difference to others here is the dramatic decrease in size of testicles. 75% reduction in size is probably a lot (I recall most others suggesting a one third reduction in size), but I presume that if the testicles fully return when the implant reaches its "use by" date, that wouldn't matter (especially if the dog is to be used for breeding purposes at a later date).

Wabbit - when the effect of the implant expired and before you had your dog desexed, did you notice a return of his earlier behaviours?

Has anyone used this on a long/double coated breed? If so, was there any change in coat?

I would consider using it on my male, particularly as our female pup is 6 months now, but would be very worried about change of coat for the show ring.

• 1 month later...

Hi Erny

Wabbit - when the effect of the implant expired and before you had your dog desexed, did you notice a return of his earlier behaviours?

Yes, most definitely - earlier behaviours came back same as before. Also, he would get his penis stuck on occasion, and while this went away when he was on the implant, the problem returned. Not very pleasant for him or for us to have to put back in. :laugh: Our vet told us that she's had to perform castration and radical penile amputation on a dog before who also used to get 'stuck' So both of these factors were the clincher, hence the desexing.

Edited by Wabbit

Hmmm I also would like to hear from anyone that has had a dog return to "stud" duties after having the implant, how long after the implant did you wait, was there any fertility problems?

I can tell you in about 6 months as we plan on using our boy again then, this will be about 12 months after he first had the implant. Apparently it can last up to 12 months so I am not sure whether he will be fully fertile again, but will report back as soon as I am sure :thumbsup:

Has anyone else bred from a dog who had the implant?

• 7 months later...
I can tell you in about 6 months as we plan on using our boy again then, this will be about 12 months after he first had the implant. Apparently it can last up to 12 months so I am not sure whether he will be fully fertile again, but will report back as soon as I am sure :thumbsup:

Does anyone have any information about the use of Superlorin as an alternative to castration when treating a dog for agressive behaviour?

The standard seems to be castrate first and ask questions later but this seems to be a waste if the dog can be treated chemically.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh PUH-LEEEZ! If this isn't a clear case of human male ego gone mental I don't know what is....! Just because you blokes can't stand the thought of losing your nuts doesn't mean your dog does; and even if he does, it's not enough to have you not go ahead with the de-gonadding, is it!? What a brilliant idea - plastic surgery, and a foreign object permanently implanted into an animal that has no choice about the whole thing! Fantastic AND plastic! Geez, just when I thought veterinary surgeons couldn't think of enough things to overcharge for...what next? Penile implants? Brazilains? Get a grip you people!!! :thumbsup:

Oh PUH-LEEEZ! If this isn't a clear case of human male ego gone mental I don't know what is....! Just because you blokes can't stand the thought of losing your nuts doesn't mean your dog does;

It has nothing to do with being a 'bloke'. I would hazard a guess that only one poster in this thread is a male and his question was merely out of curiosity as his dogs are desexed. Just because posters have gender neutral or masculine names one shouldn't assume they are male. :thumbsup:

Oh PUH-LEEEZ! If this isn't a clear case of human male ego gone mental I don't know what is....! Just because you blokes can't stand the thought of losing your nuts doesn't mean your dog does; and even if he does, it's not enough to have you not go ahead with the de-gonadding, is it!? What a brilliant idea - plastic surgery, and a foreign object permanently implanted into an animal that has no choice about the whole thing! Fantastic AND plastic! Geez, just when I thought veterinary surgeons couldn't think of enough things to overcharge for...what next? Penile implants? Brazilains? Get a grip you people!!! :)

Errr this thread is about the suprelorin implant which is a grain of rice sized implant like a microchip, not the "ball implants" which are actual surgery, I think you got the wrong thread :eek:

I don't breed and have no intention but was just wondering if this might be a suitable thing for people with young dogs that they want to "mature" before desexing, but don't want to breed (or have an adult bitch and don't want to mate the young male until he is older).

What I mean is, will this implant have the same effects on a young dog (say 6 months +) as castration? Or would it allow the dog to mature like an entire dog (in terms of bone structure, etc).

I know of some people who have recently had the implant ......... well, implanted (in their dog, I mean). Their Vet informed them that when the implant is inserted, the dog's testosterone levels "go through the roof" and to expect some heightened behaviour as a result within the first 7 days. Beyond that the testosterone levels are supposed to settle down and over time, diminish. The owners of this dog confirmed their dog's behaviour did in fact escalate in that first period of time.

Curious about this (because in my work I am in contact also with aggressive dogs .... naturally any escalation of aggression would be what I'd want to avoid) I spoke to another well known and respected Vet who suggests the implant does not increase testosterone levels and that even if it did, those levels would not/should not affect the dog's usual behaviour given that the body will only use so much testosterone. In other words, just because there is more available doesn't mean it will be used. These are mostly my words and the best I could put it altogether, but I think it gives you the gist of what was said.

My question to those who have dogs and have used and experienced the effect of the implant, is was there any noticeable change in your dog's behaviour - especially inside the first week (give or take) after the implant was inserted? Although I'd appreciate comments on this from everyone who has a dog with the implant, I'd ESPECIALLY like to hear from anyone who has a dog with any form of aggressive behaviours and whether these behaviours noticeably heightened or not.

Edited by Erny

Great thread.

I haven't seen any discussion of the effect on growth patterns for a young dog. Thought it might be worth noting that I asked our local leading repro vet (Steve Metcalf at Applecross) about possibly using it on one of my boys to simplify running the boy with the girls. He advised against it . . . at least for a Labbie. He said cutting down testosterone would affect bone growth, probably resulting in a taller, lankier dog. In his opinion the best use of the implant was for full grown dogs who could stand a bit of toning down of testosterone-driven behaviours. He didn't seem willing to guarantee that a dog would be able to return to stud duty when the drug has worn off . . . though he didn't rule it out.

Thanks for this informaiton sandgrubber, I was considering this implant for one of my adult non-show dogs who is somewhat hyperactive (a family inheritance), thought it might calm him down a bit but after reading this will not pursue as I may want to breed with him later. I'll keep him at obedience where he is doing pretty well of late and he loves it.

Erny I have had it done to my boy twice, and didn't notice any escalation in his behaviour. I found that in the first week or two that he was much quieter than usual, but then it disappears. After the second implant the lethargy was less noticeable.

In saying this though, I let the first implant 'run out' because I was curious to see how long it actually lasted :( and for a week or so after the second implant I didn't take him anywhere b/c I knew what he would be like, so I can't officially report on increase of symptoms.

I have spoken with a Vet Behaviourist in general about this, and we agreed it would be useful for cases where you are not sure if the behaviour is testosterone based or learned behaviour, and would give a good indication about whether desexing was going to make any/much difference. :)

Mel.