Casually Walking Your Dog

Just curious to see what sort of standards people have for their dogs when they are just walking them, not heeling them.

How do you require your dog to walk?

How do you expect your dog to walk?

What standard of walking do you accept? (What you accept may be below what you expect).

Possible answers could be:

"I expect my dog to:

Walk on a loose lead at all times, in any position

Walk on a loose lead at all times, in any position towards my left

Walk on a loose lead at all times, but never in front of me

Walk right next to me at all times, but not as perfectly as a heel

Drag me at all times" :rofl:

OK, I'll go first :rofl: . I'm assuming you're meeaning walking on lead. I have 2 Border Collies, and on long walks I will use a walking belt (thank you Black Dog folks). For those sort of serious conditioning walks, I prefer the dogs to be in front of me, but not pulling, and preferably not zig-zagging. For mooching, I don't mind them at the front or at the side, as long as they're not pulling. They get a little bit of sniffing time - a bit more at the beginning of a walk, but they need to move on when I ask.

When necessary, I expect them to come in close to me (like crowded sidewalks) - maybe both on the left, or one on each side - depends on the situation.

I use the normal Black Dog smart leads, so nearly 6 feet long leads.

I have two dogs and both are trained at different lvls.

My BCx Bitch, as long as my arm stays in the socket she can do as she likes. Only trained in beginners (sits on command).

My Kelpie x ACD, must walk on a lose lead at all times. I prefer him on my left hand side but can walk slightly in front if Im walking with someone else.

If both dogs are walked at the same time, I can forget all the above and just hold on for life.

They both have new smart leads (BCx hasnt used hers yet).

I've been walking my 2 on a double lead and as long as they stay off to the left most of the time, they can be slightly in front as the 3 of us don't fit most of the time!!!, they must always sit when I stop and they are not to pull

As they are still young they still pull at other dogs but are pretty good when passing people unless the person talks to them!

When I get to the grassy park stretch of our walk I tell them they can relax and I give them a completely loose lead and they can sniff and whatever they like, though I still don't let them pull

Maddy is expected to stay on our left side, but she often zig-zags in-front of me. Spencer is off lead most of the time. Usually all we do is walk to the park and back. (2 minutes walk) At training Maddy heels where ever i go (Besides exercises ect) during the lesson. After and before she mingles and sniffs around.

Casually walking means that Tango can do as many kms as he wants as I walk him most of the time on a 10' lead (half length lunge line) - and does probably 5kms for every 1 that I do, round in circles - always anticlockwise, backwards and forwards etc - so long as he doesn't pull (which he doesn't) I don't mind.

If casually walking through a crowd, he walks with me in a loose heel slightly forward of left...and for a 7 month old, he's pretty good. :laugh:

I like Jim to walk at loose lead to my left, a little bit ahead is fine, but when I say 'heel' he will slow down to get back in a heel position.

If we are having a sauntering walk on his 6m lead he can go anywhere :laugh:

Mac has a harness, a check chain and a collar. Each one he has a different standard expected of him. If we're walking casually, he's on the harness or the collar.

If he's on his harness, he can do whatever he likes, as long as he keeps up. I don't mind if he pulls, but most of the time it's me pulling him up if he's found a good smell, not him pulling me on. He normally sticks to the left hand side, and he normally starts up sniffing a lot, and then calms down as time continues.

If he's on his collar (rarely), he's expected to not heel but not sniff, to be on the left, to not pee. I may tell him to heel on collar, but he's not expected to automatically (as on the check chain - the check chain is a sign for work). Mac also wears his collar when in the crate in the car. It basically means "be behaved".

If I was to go inside at a foreign place to him, he'd wear his collar, because I want him a bit more 'good' than the harness. I hope I've made sense. ;) I think I'm a bit crazy with how my system is worked out... But Mac knows it, I know it, and it seems to work well. I'd probably do it with my next puppy, too. :laugh: (Not that any are planned.)

Walk right next to me at all times, but not as perfectly as a heel

I walk my girls together, and they are big, so I like a bit of discipline when we are walking. No pulling, no sniffing, no tripping me up, no straining to sniff passers-by etc.

They are never onleash for long- mostly they play freely at a dog beach or park. They can sniff to their hearts content once we are there :laugh:

ed 2 remove empty space

Edited by cactus

Depends on the dog.....

With my old boy we basically jog to the end of the street and then he likes to stop and sniff every few steps. Being an entire boy - he has just got to lift his leg to every tree, pole, tall blade of grass we pass. I allow him the constant stopping because I think it is his way of taking a bit of a break. We don't really walk him for the exercise but more of the variety from the back yard. I don't make him sit before we cross the roads but he is expected to stand in the heal position.

When the others are taken out for exercise, they are expected to toe the line more. While I don't mind if they walk in front, side or behind but they must stay to the left and walk on a loose lead. They must always sit when I stop and they are to stick close or leave then they are told. They aren't allowed to stop constantly for sniffing and peeing but I will give them the occassional chance to do so.

Edited by Tilly

Guest Tess32

I don't care where they are as long as they aren't pulling. Ahead is fine...the walk is purely social and I don't feel any need to have them strictly by my side at all.

Loki is expected to stay on my left on a loose lead but doesnt have to be at heel.

Rinse can be on either side, but I prefer my left as I have more control. She NEVER walks on a loose lead so as long as my arm is straight out but not being pulled and I can reach the end of her tail I'm happy

I walk 2 large dogs.They walk out infront & mild pulling i dont mind as long as when i ask a command they respond.

The walk is have there time & half mine.They can be looney when i say so.

I dont stop for any pee walks as theres no need for it & it just teaches them peeing up anything is OK by me & then it becomes a habit every walk.

If a dog walks pat i generally just stop allow the dogs to go past with no fuss & of i go as most of the other dogs go troppo at mine.

As mine are showdogs they now how to behave on a lead very well so its basically a case of what the scenario is as to whats acceptable

Im very strict with the way my dog should walk on a lead. He must be on my left side, but it dosent bother me if he goes out in front, as long as hes not pulling which he dosent. Ive taught him this for so long now, even when he is off the lead, he will stay on my left side, even if hes running ahead of me. He knows if he gets called back he needs to be on my left side.