Dew Claws Are They Needed?

I was just wondering, does any one out there have problems with their dogs dew claws. All of my dogs previously have torn them out or split them or done some sort of damage to them. I have a 5 month old pup and like the rest he will be a hunting dog, as well as a weekend adventurer climbing through scrub and such, and Im starting to think I should save myself the hassle and just get them removed rather than risk him doing injury to them. Thoughts anyone?

What breed is he? Some breeders remove their pups' dew claws at birth I believe? Or soon after anyway, while they are young.

As far as I know, they serve no purpose, and it certainly doesn't hurt to have them removed (by someone who knows what they are doing of course!) so as to prevent, like you said, them becoming torn or split etc.

Someone may come along and say something different...but this is my understanding of the issue :rofl:

AFAIK it's the rear dew claws that are often absent anyway, and that probably need to be removed.

As far as front dew claws go, dogs do use them when moving and cornering fast - such as in agility - and stock-working dogs certainly use them in the high speed turns they may have to make. Apparently when the foot is flattened in those situations, the dew claws help to keep the foot stable.

That said, the dew claws can certainly be damaged even in those breeds that need them. A KelpiexBC bitch I had tore 2 - each time the claw was sticking out at right angles, and very painful - but each time she fixed them herself overnight, before I could get her to the vet (good girl!!). It's usually not a major drama for a vet to snip them off depending where the tear is.

I don't know about hunting breeds - but I think some people do put a bit of vet-wrap bandage around the leg to protect the dew claws if the dog is going into rough country.

My breeder removed dew claws when the tails were docked. I'd think for running through scrub you'd be best to have them removed, pigpup. I've heard horror stories about dogs ripping the skin right off the entire leg when dew claws are ripped out in accidents.

Dozer is(we think) dane/pointer/cattle. Is it a drama to get them removed? as in is it expensive and do they grow back? I think Dozer would remove the bandages if I put them on him. thanks guys for the input so far, Im thimking a trip to the vet is in order

Is it a drama to get them removed? as in is it expensive and do they grow back?

Not when experienced breeders do it at a few days old but in your case I would think it would be under GA, pigpup. No they dont grow back (if done correctly).

I remove them myself at a few days old. I dont like them either , not only do they do damage to me lol i have had them do damage to themselves. Ring a few different vets and find out what is involved.

We remove our puppies dew claws, prevents any injury later on in life - I seen some really painful sights with dogs that have caught them on something and torn them out halfway.

It's a relatively easy procedure for the vet to do under GA, they heal quite easily and don't grow back.

the problem with dew claws at this ages is the vein that runs just under that joint along the leg. This is where the problem is. I sat in on a dew claw operatino on this poor Coon hound because the idiot family decided he needed it done at 9 months when they were well and truely solid (he was going to be a pet anyway ???). Poor bubby couldnt walk out of there too well.

If you are going to do it, get it done now. Make sure the vet knows what they are going and dont do too much exercise for a few weeks. Make sure that area is well and truely healed up before you take him out where it could reopen because that vain is a bleeder. But if you're going to hunt its a really good idea.

we remove the dew claws at 3days old any later and as stated the veins under the claw develop,surgery under ga after sixmonths, very painful recovery time, I would in your case keep the nail trimmed short and if you are hunting tape the claw up. twice around with plastic stretch bandage available from vet /produce, hell get use to it ,if you put it on before you release him he'll probably not even notice it .remember it dosnt need to be tight as the adhesive will keep it in place its just to stop it getting caught up. reguards shayne ;)

hmmmm this sorta sounds a bit serious. if Ide known about this earlier, I sure as hell woulda taken him as soon as I got him to the vets. All right I'll take him and have a yarn top the vet shortly. thankyou so much guys.

Paws up!

I'd get them taken off. How serious the op is will depend on how well rooted the nails are, some are just held on by a bit of skin, others are heading into the bone.

If removed under GA the nails should never grow back, it sometimes happens when the pups are done at a few days old. I have one in my litter now that has regrown his dew claw but it is just sitting in the skin and will be a simple snip to have it removed when his new owners have him desexed.