Clicker Training Greyhounds

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Go to the trick section, or my web page at http://www.dogtrick.741.com I have a heap of tricks I have taught my dogs using the clicker and step by step instructions. Read up all you can before you try it out on your dog. I taught Moses the clicker, by clicking and treating every time he sat. Clicker is a lot of fun, http://www.k9events.com has heaps of articles about it.

A good trick for humans :( to practise clicker timing skills is to bounce a tennis ball. When the ball is at the highest point, click. Its ok to give yourself a smartie as a treat for getting it right.

Remember the click is a 'kodak' moment of what you want, don't click too late. You need to click while the behavior is happening.

The worst thing that can happen is something might take longer to teach if your timing is off.

A good trick for humans :( to practise clicker timing skills is to bounce a tennis ball. When the ball is at the highest point, click. Its ok to give yourself a smartie as a treat for getting it right.

Remember the click is a 'kodak' moment of what you want, don't click too late. You need to click while the behavior is happening.

The worst thing that can happen is something might take longer to teach if your timing is off.

LOL... thanks pax... I'd better get smarties too!

This is getting better and better!

to practise clicker timing skills is to bounce a tennis ball. When the ball is at the highest point, click. Its ok to give yourself a smartie as a treat for getting it right.

:rofl:

I wanna start clicker training now so I have an excuse to eat smarties :rofl:

Well, started doing a little bit this weekend and I have got to the point where I can say individual dog name and it looks up at me from the comfy bed *click!*

I figure that having their attention is a good start.

Where to now? "Drop" when they get on the bed? "bow" when they play bow? (they do a lot of that!)

Someone tried clicker trainig themselves :laugh: and got into the treats bag. Luckily didn't eat the clicker.

Oh... here's the birthday cake too!

post-7113-1148946566_thumb.jpg

Attention to name from the couch - that's good! :laugh: (I'm assuming we're talking couch potatoes here. :wink: ) Now you might want to up the criteria by withholding the click until you get a bit more movement!!

Seriously - capturing bow if they do that, would be great.

And once a dog is awake, I'd be starting on the targetting - clicking for attention to the object first, then waiting till you get a nose touch ... etc. What you're going for is a rapid rate of reinforcement over a short period of time. If you have to wait too long, drop your criteria for C/T - i.e. be satisfied with less, so that the dog can get the reinforcement - at least until they 'get' the idea that their behaviours are causing the C/T.

ETA: That's a seriously impressive cake.

Edited by Tassie

Cool. So i'm doing it right?

I had them touching my hand with their nose when I was saying 'sniff'

but I thought that might be a bit confusing, though, they were doing it. So, I moved onto just the attention to their names. The good part is, they know the click is something good and they are pretty happy when I pull it out.

BTW it was too hard getting them alone to do it (one would always be scratching and whining at the door when he heard the click) so I'm doing two at a time, thats kinda why I started them with attention to their names. So I say their name and THEN the command so they know who I'm talking to.

Yep - sounds like they've got the idea. Don't they love it. It's one of the things I love about using the clicker - it can really empower the dogs, and make them enthusiastic participants in the learning.

I know what you mean about the hassle of getting one alone. I've resorted to putting one of mine in their crate in the car while I work with the other, to save stuff getting knocked over and/or scratched in the house. :laugh: And I guess I'm a bit lazy to do that often - so my guys don't get as much of that sort of stuff at home as they should - which could be one reason it's taking so long for Fergus to get it that he can actually walk forwards and carry a dumbbell at the same time!

I would keep on with the targetting though - it's so much a lead in to other things, as once they understand the concept of 'touch' you can transfer it to objects and agility equipment. And you can use it with a target stick in teaching other moves.

I have the same problem with the two! When they hear click, they crack it if they aren't the one being trained! lol

I taught Molly to touch an empty squeezy sauce bottle last night and then I put it on the ground and she nudged it over

Then I put her in a sit stay and put it a metre from her and she walked over to it and nudged it over

It was so cool!!! So now she targets my hand, the stick and the bottle, yay!!!

Yes theya re the ones the cheapie shop near me has them sometimes they look cute and are different to the iclick sound youve started something now with this targetting you'll have them opening and closing doors in no time

She taught herself how to bash them open!!! lol

Just need to teach her to close! :D

Thats easy! Teach her to target to a margarine lid (or similar), stuck on the door, then decrease the size of the target, put a name to it and once that's reliable take the target away :)