Lots Of Help Needed

tommygirl3669

Please help, all opinions needed. My dog, had puppies only 2 days after I had my 2nd child. I only got her 3 weeks before I had my baby, so she was obviously pregnant, but I never knew.

Now, they are 5 weeks old, and I have no idea which out of the 3 to choose. 1 of them has a bit of a wobble which is neurological.....not enough to warrant me putting her down though, as she is getting better every day......the one I like for looks and alertness is gorgeous, and the biggest of teh group is so affectionate and is beautiful too. I don't want to give any of them away, but I know that I need to. I love the little one that has problems, but don't want to keep her if I can't accomodate her needs, I don't want to put her down because she is getting better....my fear is that I will give the pups away, and keep the little bobbly one, and have her pass on, or the vet say she isn't doing well.......any ideas guys??? I know your a brainy bunch so please help..I love them all so much, and I am already heartbroken knowing I have to give one away.

Charene

It is a hard decision. The sensible option is to go with long term happiness for yourself, which is the pup with the best temperament and health. I always go temparament before looks. Can you keep the sickly pup as well for a few months to make sure she's ok and then adopt her out as well?

That's all I can think of..

You should be keeping the one with special needs.if its too much for you to accomadate them then just remember finding a permant special home will be alot harder.As you made the decision to keep her alive it really should be up to you to raise her .

Your fears of the special needs pup should be considered before placing her out & expecting someone else to deal with the hard decisions & issues that you dont want too.

Whilst the litter wasnt your doing you are the one who made the decision to keep her alive despite her problems.

You cant just keep the best because another is a problem.

You need to advertise & see what sort of people are willing to take on the special needs pups as you may find placing her out to be very hard as pet people also hope to have there pup grow into an adult

Thank you for your advice Bellas person. I am having to face the hard decision of either putting down the disabled dog, or finding her a good special home/rescue until I can find her a home. I don't have the time to dedicate to her, and her needs. I love her very dearly, but I need to consider whether it would be cruel to keep her, and wether it would be unfair to keep her any longer for our families sake(but we are all so attatched to them all at this point in time) I wish I knew the extent of her neurological disorder, but all I know is that she falls over every 10 steps, and she is always bobbling along. The vet can't say either.

I just can't chance the fact that she is going to get better/worse....I know she is getting better everyday, which is why it is heartbreaking, but, I have my 2 children, and my husband to care for as well.............I hope I make the right, and least cruel decison on all concerned. If only I had known My mum dog was pregnant I would have been better prepared. But I didn't because I only got her 3 weeks before she had the pups, so, I can only do what is best for them now. I hope my heart leads me to the right decision.

Charene

Thank you showdog, I missed your entry before typing my last one.

I do agree that I did keep her alive, and in all honesty, despite the vet persuading me to keep her rather than putting her down, I don't know wether I could have done it anyway. I do agree it will be harder to find her a home, and a good home at that, however, I don't think I am the good home that she needs. Because of not knowing the full extent of her disorder, I am going to see if people will be able to give me any numbers of "special homes" for her, as, I don't feel my house can accomodate her. With a 2 year old son, and a new one, plus the mum dog, amoungst our aquariumed friends, it is alot for me to handle.........I am still tossing up the idea of keeping any of them......it is my mind tangling with my heart, and I want to keep her, and all of them, but know I can;t provide the time, and needs for the bobbly one nor all of them together like i would love to do.

Thank you for your time Showdog

Is there any reason why you intend to keep a puppy from the litter ? I'm sure you have your hands full with your 2yo and newborn.

I would be desexing the dam as well, I also agree with Showdog in regards to the disabled dog - also probably would be best to consult your vet about the type of life she would lead or would it be best to pts.

Why aren't the rescue group you adopted her (undesexed and pregnant) from helping you with rehoming the pups??

Pretty poor form to leave you with something THEY should have taken responsibility for (that being keeping her in care to have the litter or DESEXING mum PRIOR to her being placed in a home)!!!

Regardless, I don't think it's fair to send a pup with neuro problems into a home unless you have a diagnosis or at the very least, a better idea of what her needs are going to be as she grows up.

Is there any reason why you intend to keep a puppy from the litter ? I'm sure you have your hands full with your 2yo and newborn.

I tend to agree with Hazz... and the fact that even though the pup has some problems, a 'normal' pup will be just as time consuming and need as much supervision and work (if not more).

If you want to consider it.... I am willing to take on the pup with neuro issues if she can get to Sydney (when a bit older).

Does she have seizures, difficulty eating etc or she just walks 'funny'??