Post-puppy Blues?!

Whippy

Hi everyone. I was so looking forward to getting our own puppy , but 10 days in I am wondering what the h**l have we done. She is very cute, but I am finding the constant saying no very wearing. That plus the sleep deprivation..........I guess I am just looking for some confirmation that it will get better..........we have even talked about giving her back, that is how bad it feels.

Feel bad for admitting this, so would be grateful for any sincere/non-judgemental advice you may have. :rolleyes: :p

Thanks

Pups are a great responsibility and it will get better. Just think long term, I know it's hard right now and you find yourself feeling very niggly and tired, but think long term. The more you say NO now, the less you'll have to say it later on :p The mor you train at this stage, the more she'll take in and it will become her way of life.

Enjoy your puppy, but remember she relies on you for direction and she's only a baby :rolleyes:

I think every puppy owner goes through the "oh my god what have I done" stage.

If you find yourself having to say "no" all the time, perhaps its best to arm yourself with some better training methods. Go out and buy a copy of Gwen Baileys' book The Perfect Puppy. I think you will find it useful.

With puppies its the joy of knowing that the hard yards you put in early on will be rewarded by a happy, healthy well trained pet.

At least they grow up faster than children!

It WILL get better!

I always said after my whippy that from then on I was getting adults :rolleyes: Then I got the greyhound pup (who is a piece of cake compared to Coco!)

Once they are house trained, sleep through the night and finish teething they become a delight. Eventually you start saying 'no' less and they start listening when you do- but time flies and she will be worth it when it all comes together.

Anything in particular you are having a problem with? PM me if you want to know particulars- ie. how long it took us to house train, when the destructive phase started and ended, training tips etc.

Puppies are always hard work and everyone always thinks 'sheesh wat have i done' but at the end of the day when she gets over this stage you will think 'argg wat would we do without her' and those big eyes look at you wish such love.

Mine is 5 months old and I still think geez what have I done lol, I am even looking into getting him a playmate lol

We have all been in the same place as you, sleep deprivation makes us think the strangest things

It will get better

Hi everyone. I was so looking forward to getting our own puppy , but 10 days in I am wondering what the h**l have we done. She is very cute, but I am finding the constant saying no very wearing. That plus the sleep deprivation..........I guess I am just looking for some confirmation that it will get better..........we have even talked about giving her back, that is how bad it feels.

Feel bad for admitting this, so would be grateful for any sincere/non-judgemental advice you may have. :thumbsup::cry:

Thanks

Hi Whippy, don't be disheartened. Maybe ask yourself, besides saying no, have you said yes too? Try to say more yes, if puppy chew something, say no and quickly grab something for him to replace what you took away. AND say YES!!! so it's a lot of YES YES YES too! and GOOD DOG! praises works wonders!

Those things that you can't let puppy do, for eg. chewing, grab some citronella oil or chilli power, dilute with water and smear on the things you don't want it to chew. Always distract distract distract!

By the way, get some books, one of the books I read is Dog Whisperer, it's quite good. You'd need several books.

Edited by flycow

I know exactly how you feel. I have a 10 week old Old English Sheepdog and although he is VERY good....I have never felt so TIRED! I guess you might want to think of it as easy training for when you have babies!

I can't wait until Charlie gets older, but at the same time, he won't stay this litte for long either, so make sure you make the most of it, and try and do all the right things.....and like flycow said...say YES to her as well.

Ok....It's 6:47pm....Bedtime??????

Good Luck...... I'm sure your baby will grow up to be a great family member

:thumbsup:

:rofl: Having a 8 week old staffy girl "Bella" I know what you are saying (lucky we already have Ty who keeps her amused etc)!!! It will just get better and better :rofl: Ty is nearly 2 and is a dream dog now ;) He was one HYPERACTIVE puppy :D :D

My partner and i are about to become the proud parents of two beagle puppies!! Does anyone else have two puppies they got at the same time? How to they interact with each other? Any tips or things we need to do differently, having two pups?

Beagle Lover :rofl:

are they littermates?

i have heard that training gets a lot harder when you have 2 pups - especially when they are littermates - and that you need to make sure that you spend some 1 on 1 time with each of them everyday for your training to be most effective.

Tho - I have never had 2 pups before. I imagine it would make some things easier (such as reducing whining and seperation anxiety issues) - but others harder (toilet-training).

Goodluck! :rofl: Keep us informed of how it goes!

:rofl: You're not alone!

It's tedious at times, but all the "No"'s (and "Yes"'s) add up to a trained dog who'll be SO much better to have around!

Keep up the good work. It's not too long b4 you start to see rewards.

Physical exercise, chew toys/ bones and very short bursts of training help keep pup more civilised as his/ her brain and body are tired. Ask your breeder for advice with exercise as you don't want to overexercise a pup, either....e.g. running, long walks.

are they littermates?

i have heard that training gets a lot harder when you have 2 pups - especially when they are littermates - and that you need to make sure that you spend some 1 on 1 time with each of them everyday for your training to be most effective.

Tho - I have never had 2 pups before. I imagine it would make some things easier (such as reducing whining and seperation anxiety issues) - but others harder (toilet-training).

Goodluck! :rofl: Keep us informed of how it goes!

Congrats beaglelover. I agree with bikle having two pups might need separate training times. I have never had two at once but I have kept more than one Budgies at once and also single Budgie. Single is definitely easier to train, will this count? :rofl:

Welcome to DOL!!!! :rofl:

Having a puppy is definitely very wearing but also very enjoyable in the long run. You get a best friend as well as companion and family member who will devote all their love and attention to you :D (most of the time anyway :rofl: )

Miranda is right, a human baby requires a lot more of your time and do a lot more other things than puppies :D I still want kids though regardless so I dont know what I'm on about!!!! ;)

we have got a 14wk GSD pup and are so thrilled with him we are going to get another pup, also have older GSD so pup has something to play with when l am out. l prefer 2 or more dogs to keep each other company if owner has to go out and work.

my partner and i have a 10week old pup and he has learnt to tell us when he needs to go outside and he hasnt dirtied inside in about a week. He already knows to sit and wait for his food bowl to be on the floor before going to it. He srops something if we tell him to and he comes straight to us if we call him from a distance.

I cannot believe how well this pup is doing. He knows who we are and loves playtime but also loves a cuddle.

Pups is a border collie x blue healer.

Mel

PS: Hold in there, its so worth the tiredness and all the 'NO's. Its amazing how much love you get and give a puppy.

Espically one you have taught yourself.

Well thankfully I can say how much better it is geting already! ...... i think it was purely sleep deprivation talking before. I really felt like I wanted to give her back, and now I can't even contemplate such a thing. We also had our first puppy school class which was a great thing to have done......she really enjoyed it and it was also useful info for me too. I just can't wait until we can take her out for walks now!

Lack of sleep can do weird things to you!!!!!!

thanks to the good advice everyone

x

Glad you are feeling better!! I really related to your post - we have only had Indy for 2 nights and I am exhausted!! I even asked my hubby if he will do the early shift tomorrow!!

I am trying to look ahead too! I must say - she is already responding well to the outside for pees rule!!

Keep looking up with me!!

I went and saw my dog trainer before bring Bailey home. She gave me fantastic advice and got me sorted out with what to do to get him toilet trained. In the just over a week we have had him he has only has one accident inside which was not his fault (he said he had to go out but I was on the loo and couldn't get to him in time) He is crate trained at night and only barks if he has to go out. He has had his first visit with the trainer and we have started training to sit.

I certainly don't have puupy blues, I think I am having the best time ever and I know bailey is going to be a mate for his life. But I think being very well prepared before hand. Knowing I was going to and how to crate train and knowing to start house training the minute he comes home before he even comes inside really made the difference to us.