Sporting Cut For Maltese - Any Ideas?

My little girl is due for her first 'proper' trim. I dont really like the style of cut I have seen before on Maltese - either the same length all over, or left long and tied up over the eyes.

Does anyone have any ideas on a more sporting style - good for a girl who is a Princess, but also likes to get down and dirty (and will be starting agility when she is old enough)? She may be a cross, as her fur is wavy and very light, so it's not going to be easy to shape ....

(a pic of the dirty Princess is attached :p )

post-6387-1156317514_thumb.jpg

Edited by BittyMooPeeb

I used to groom a malt x.

She used to have a teddy bear head with her undercarriage clipped close underneath. Virtually from "wrist to wrist" on her front legs, "ankle to ankle" on her back legs and a line straight down the middle from between her front legs up to her tail which was left long but trimmed in a setter style. Back and sidecoat allowed to part but scissored level with her belly.

She had enough long hair left so that you could see what she used to be, but short enough to allow easy care and swims at the beach without heaps of drying and no long hair left to mat up.

This is actually on a malt x bichon (or poodle, but the eyes are very bichony)

SophieAfter.jpg

I like this one because the legs are left longer which helps to disguise weird bendy bits. Also on Blossom I wouldn't leave the ears long I'd either round them off or follow the ear shape - they look younger this way.

Not sure if this length is practical for the mud. :mad

You could always have a schnauzer cut :rofl:

I already have two with a schnauzer cut :laugh: . We had a schnauzer as kids so it's the only cut I know! . Blossom's eyebrows are too floppy for this cut though, and I dont want people to think I am addicted to the schnauzer cut or anything ...... :mad

ETA: I'm not sure what the lamb cut is?? But I'll do a search ....

Edited by BittyMooPeeb

I like this one because the legs are left longer which helps to disguise weird bendy bits. Also on Blossom I wouldn't leave the ears long I'd either round them off or follow the ear shape - they look younger this way.

Not sure if this length is practical for the mud. :rofl:

I definately like longer fur on the legs - I do the same with Peebs and Nessie. For some reason I dont like that ear style (never have :mad ) so I like the idea of rounding them off - she doesnt have much length on her ears anyway.

Hmmm - maybe I should come in and get you to do the initial shaping (and give me some tips :( ) and then I can follow the same lines when she needs a trim .... :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...
This is actually on a malt x bichon (pic above)

Not sure if this length is practical for the mud. :rofl:

I took Blossom to the wonderfully talented Vehs for a 'style cut' and am absolutely stoked with the result :rofl: . I've attached some before and after pics of Blossoms new, cute, 'sporting' cut :)

Before

Muuum - does my bum look big in this?

Yes dear, I'm afraid it does :)

post-6387-1157273783_thumb.jpg

After - where did that huge bum go?

post-6387-1157273814_thumb.jpg

Before

There's a dog in there somewhere (under the fur and duck poo!)

post-6387-1156317514_thumb.jpg

After

Purrdddyy :love:

post-6387-1157274140_thumb.jpg

before

I was a bit of a ragamuffin ...

post-6387-1157274332_thumb.jpg

after

But now I'm a sporting princess :D

post-6387-1157274432_thumb.jpg post-6387-1157274493_thumb.jpg post-6387-1157274533_thumb.jpg

THANKS VEHS :rofl:

Edited by BittyMooPeeb

You need to put up the original pic of Blossom when she was in Canterbury Pound, when she looked like she was in jail.

:) She was probably in gaol for the heinous crime of stealing dirty underwear :eek: (they didn't rehabilitate her :eek::eek: ).

Here's her pound shot:

post-6387-1157427769.jpg

(you can see from the bend in the bars that she has been trying to escape :eek: )

Edited by BittyMooPeeb