When To Pick Up Puppy

luckyheidi

Hello,

We are interested in getting a puppy who was born on the 25th July, making it 5 weeks old today.

Initially the breeder said the pups would be ready to be picked up on 5th Sept at 6 weeks of age. Now they say we can pick up on this Saturday (2/9)

I am concerned that this is maybe too early for the pup to leave the mother. It has been suggested that it is best for pups to remain with their mother until at least 8 weeks. I am unsure as to what is best for the pup. We are willing to wait a few weeks if this is best for the puppy, if the breeder will allow it.

We are keen to get the new puppy home but I want to do what is best for the puppy.

Thanks for any help/suggestions offered.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello,

We are interested in getting a puppy who was born on the 25th July, making it 5 weeks old today.

Initially the breeder said the pups would be ready to be picked up on 5th Sept at 6 weeks of age. Now they say we can pick up on this Saturday (2/9)

I am concerned that this is maybe too early for the pup to leave the mother. It has been suggested that it is best for pups to remain with their mother until at least 8 weeks. I am unsure as to what is best for the pup. We are willing to wait a few weeks if this is best for the puppy, if the breeder will allow it.

We are keen to get the new puppy home but I want to do what is best for the puppy.

Thanks for any help/suggestions offered.

I'm no expert, but I must say based on my reading and limited experience that does sound very young. I'm getting my new puppy at 8 weeks which I think is usually the arbitrary minimum.

What breed is your puppy?

Luckyheidi, when you say "breeder" is this a registered breeder? I hope not. To release a puppy to its new home before the age of 8 weeks is a breach of the ANKC Code of Ethics. I have quoted the relevant section below.

6. Any puppy that I shall sell or otherwise transfer from my care must be a minimum of eight (8) weeks of age. Upon the sale of the dog I shall provide the owner with such registration documents as required by my ANKC Member Body Rules/Regulations and a current vaccination certificate of that dog issued by a veterinary surgeon.

Are you supposedly getting papers? Will the pup have had its first vaccinations?

Luckyheidi, when you say "breeder" is this a registered breeder? I hope not. To release a puppy to its new home before the age of 8 weeks is a breach of the ANKC Code of Ethics. I have quoted the relevant section below.
6. Any puppy that I shall sell or otherwise transfer from my care must be a minimum of eight (8) weeks of age. Upon the sale of the dog I shall provide the owner with such registration documents as required by my ANKC Member Body Rules/Regulations and a current vaccination certificate of that dog issued by a veterinary surgeon.

Are you supposedly getting papers? Will the pup have had its first vaccinations?

Hello poodlefan,

Thanks for your quick reply,

Apparently, they are not a registered breeder and they told my husband that the pup will not have had it's first injections, which concerns me (to keep costs down!!). Although they have been having vet checks each week. Alarm bells seem to be ringing in my head about this pup which my 13 y-o wants dearly but is understanding of our concerns and that we may need to look for another puppy for her.

LH:

Hello poodlefan,

Thanks for your quick reply,

Apparently, they are not a registered breeder and they told my husband that the pup will not have had it's first injections, which concerns me (to keep costs down!!). Although they have been having vet checks each week. Alarm bells seem to be ringing in my head about this pup which my 13 y-o wants dearly but is understanding of our concerns and that we may need to look for another puppy for her.

LH, what breed of dog are we talking about? If the "breeder" isn't vaccinating and is prepared to release the pup so young, I'd be very concerned about what other short cuts have been taken, and in particular about health testing for congentital health issues common in the breed.

I think your instincts are right - the pup available "right now" may not be the right pup in the long term. If you tell us what you are looking for, we may be able to help. Where are you?

Edited by poodlefan

I would be walking very quickly away from that puppy manufacturer indeed.

Find a caring and responsible REGISTERED breeder with whom you feel comfortable. You may need to wait a while longer for your puppy but good things come to those who wait.

Good luck and hugs to your teenager who sounds like a very wise and responsible person indeed!

Guest Pandii

I would run from there very fast.

You have come in asking question, which I believe means you are not totally happy with the arangement you have. Some of us wait months or years to get the pup we want.

Letting the pup go early means less cost for the "breeder" as they no longer have to feed or care for. Lack of vaccinations is not good, what about worming etc and other health checks.

Your Child is 13 they are older enough to relise that somethings you have to wait for. If you want a pet for your child that is happy healthy and well raised please wait while you do a search to find out what is best

This is the best place for information, alot of registered breeders here that are more than happy to help.

What breed were you after??

Ooopps WELCOME

Edited by Pandii

Hi there

This sounds like a BYB, a puppy should not go to its first home before it has been vaccinated, the first of which is at 6 weeks.

Breeders normally start the weaning process at 3 weeks and at 5 weeks they are only just feeding themselves.

The Mum is usually taken away from them at night for the first time at 5 weeks.

5-8 weeks is the crucial time for them to learn social skills through their litter mates and Mum.

We dont let any of our puppies go before thay are 8 weeks old.

It will be disappointing for your daughter BUT PLEASE dont get a puppy of this age, or from a BYB.

Any responsible and registered breeder will not allow a puppy to leave prior to 8 weeks.

As what's been said above I would be finding a more suitable (registered and responsible, prehaps look on the DOL breed pages) breeder to buy a puppy from that cares about their puppy's well being not the $$$

Edited by Hazz

Welcome to DOL

I agree with what everyone here has said, 8 weeks is a minimum for a puppy to stay with its brother and sisters and mum

and for the "breeder" to not give the vaccinations, must be ringing alarm bells, and you could also be setting yourself up for health problems later down the track as registered breeders would have tested the parents and made sure they are clear of what you particular breed problems are. I dont know what breed you are after but

the breed list here has breeders that you could contact,

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/list.asp

I know it is hard on the kids to wait but it would be harder if the puppy turns out to have health problems down the track.

At least contact a couple of registered breeders from the list and you will notice a difference in what this back yard breeder is offering.

My daughter has had her heart set on a pure-bred Pembroke corgi. But we could not afford it just then, so she thought that she would get something cheaper. She found this pup which is a mixed breed (Rhodesian Ridgeback/Huskie/ Border Collie). We have not paid a deposit on the pup, so we are not committed.

When she comes home from school today, I will discuss with her all your advice which I know she will understand and it looks as though we will need to bite the bullet, as they say, and look into a female Pembroke corgi again.

She has done a lot of research into training methods and breeds, so she is getting well-prepared to look after this pup especially taking charge of its training, etc. Has high hopes for the pup. This will not be a new puppy fad and then forget about it, she is committed to the longterm care, which I must give her credit for considering her age.

We live near Frankston (Victoria) so will look into some local breeders around here.

Thank you everyone who has taken the time to offer suggestions and advice, for which I am really grateful. Only found Dogsonline this morning after I was told of it. I will now be a regular browser on here, as will my daughter.

Also consider having a look in the Rescue Forum or on www.petrescue.com.au

Please don't buy a crossbred pup from a BYB or Petshop.

Out of curiosity how much was this person selling the pups for ?

A rescue with desexing, vaccinations and microchip will cost you $200-$300.

LH:

(Rhodesian Ridgeback/Huskie/ Border Collie).

Crikey... you could end up with anything... in terms of size, temperament and trainability. :D

The right pup will be worth the wait. :laugh: If your daughter hasn't considered the Swedish Vallhund, that's another breed she'd probably like. :thumbsup: Kind of like a Corgi and possibly an ancestor of them.

My daughter has had her heart set on a pure-bred Pembroke corgi. But we could not afford it just then, so she thought that she would get something cheaper.

how much are you willing to spend? the WA price for corgis is ALOT cheaper than the eastern state price even if you include shipping. I could get you in contact with a great breeder which (I think) has one male pup left. You will find the waiting list is longer for the females -.

they are great dogs! i have a 17 week old boy and he's brilliant. so smart - lots of character. feel free to PM me if you would like some more info! would love to help you out.

Please go to a registered breeder.

I am currently waiting for my pup to be born. It is a waiting game, but in the meanwhile, I have build up a dog kennel and paint it : ) looking for good dog bed, bowls, etc.

There still be at least another 2 months till the pup comes home, but you will find it enjoyable as you can prepare all the things for the pup to come home. Make sure your garden fence is secure, no gaps in balcony, rearrange furniture inside the house for the pup to stay, etc

luckyheidi you are far better advised to save up for a corgi from a reputable registered breeder. If you buy a purebred dog you know exactly what you're getting, a RR/Husky/BC cross (if this 'breeder' actually knows the lineage of the sire and dam, which I doubt) could grow up to be any size, with any sort of coat and any sort of temperament.

I don't believe that the puppies have been vet checked every week, if they're not prepared to pay for a vaccination why on earth would they bother to pay a vet to look at the puppies on a weekly basis, it just doesn't make sense. Plus there is no need for puppies to checked every week, puppies are usually checked when they're born and then again at six weeks when they receive their first vaccination. It would be the height of stupidity to take babies into a vet's surgery once a week where they would be at risk of picking up parvo or kennel cough or anything else that is going around.

Puppies are sold at a minimum of 8 weeks because the 6 week vaccination takes 10 to 14 days to take effect, there are other reasons connected to the psychological wellbeing of the puppies, but as far as the puppy's physical health is concerned it would be foolhardy to send a puppy out into the world without giving the vaccine time to work. Of course it's even worse selling an unvaccinated puppy, that's not only stupid, but irresponsible as well, this person obviously only cares about the money involved, he/she has absolutely no interest in the fate of the puppies.

I wouldn't even consider buying a puppy from this person, although I do feel extremely sorry for the puppies and the dam who will no doubt be bred again on her next season, especially if the 'breeder' makes good money from this litter.

also - the corgi breeder that i was lucky enough to get Doug from had him:

- vaccinated

- had his eyes checked

- had him micro-chipped

- had him registered with the canine association.

I also got a bag of puppy food, a kit with some worming, scourban, a toy AND she washed him and clipped his nails before he came home!

All of which is included in the price. if you do the maths, it will probably work out that you are getting the pup cheaper thought a registered breeder because you don't have to pay for that stuff, you get great advice AND the breeders have thoroughly checked the lines to ensure that your pup has the best chance of not having hereditory problems.

You also know exactley what you are buying too! No chance the pup will grow into a horse!

:thumbsup:

AND you get cheaper pet insurance too!!

luckyheidi :thumbsup: Interesting combination of breeds!!!

Hmm...could be a tricky pup for a child to train, as well.

I agree here..does not sound the perfect pup for your family at the moment.

Bit young,no vacc's,very uncertain temperament/size/health

may be a tough-love lesson for your daughter, but through folk on this forum you should be able to find something more suitable :D) there is lots of advice and info here for new-puppy people!!

Best of luck

welcome to DOL.. glad you looked its a great site with lots of experienced and knowledgable people

loads of great advice.. i would strongly recomend buying from a registered breeder... seems expensive at first but u will save int he long run.. i now how excited you are about the pup but pleaseeee think about all the advice thats been given here..

does seem odd they said they have been taking pups to vet once a week and not prepared to give first vaccs..

i was talking to your son earlier and he told me about their idea where to pick up , that is a huge concern, i think. just dosnt seem right...

id hate for your daughter and your family to be heartbroken if something (god forbid ) happens to the pup healthwise,, you could loose a pup, kids and yourself will be devasted and loose money as well.. if u went through a breeder,, most breeders are kind enough and will work through any problems or concerns you have and will help you.. i can pretty much guarantee this so called "breeder" and i use that term very lightly for these people will not help...

it is well woth the wait IMO to find the right dog. there are also some great dogs in rescue that need loving homes, and have had all their vet work done, so theres a cheaper option to go for as well...

(did you look at the little pup that was posted in petrescue ) what a cutie.. awwwwww

good luck with your desision, hope to see you around more.. take care simone..