Can You Teach A Dog To Swim Properly?

I took the boys out too go swimming yesterday and ive noticed Darcy cant swim normally, he will be more upright then streamline in the water basically due to him lifting his front legs out of the water then slapping them on the water which not only is noisy but it does confuse him when he is out there fetching something and he does sometimes loses sight of it admist all the water splashing everywhere.

He does however swim 'normally' when he has something in his mouth as it brings his head down and forces him to swim normally lol

I wish to eventually get him into retrieving trials but its no use if he cant swim out properly and effectively lose his mark.

My best friends Dachshund swims like a cork :D :confused: he starts of normally and slowly starts turning....he ends up on his side and then his head ends up underwater with the legs sticking up into the air ;) .....I guess that's what happens when you're a sausage and you try to swim :laugh: :D :)

My Staffy would sink when he jumped in the pool. I put one of those dog life jackets on him and left him to it. After about 6 weeks of swimming every day with the life jacket on, i let them into the pool area without the life jacket on and he just jumped in and started swimming normally.

I believe that the life jacket keeps there back end up which allows them not to splash too much with the front paws, and they seem to use their back legs more as they are not just trying to keep above the water.

Might be worth a try.

Thats the thing he can do it properly without all the splashing but only when he has something in his mouth.

Darcy really loves to swim or actually more the retrieving side, he gets so excited he starts shaking and whining.

Big Ted did the whole "slap the water" swimming thing. I found taking him out of his depth and holding his rear end up by his tail got him sorted.

Darcy is getting the hang of it via holding something in his mouth. Lil swims like a fish but isn't into it.

I read one study of retrieving dogs that found the best swimmers used only their front legs but trailed their bag legs behind them, rather than lowering them.

Geordie swims like that too..... :D

He has only had one visit to the beach because we are so far away, he usually swims at the dam here, but not where he can't touch the bottom.

I plan to take him on holidays to the beach for a week or so - so that I can go in with him and build his confidence a bit.

Mel.

I've tried the supporting byt the tail and under her tummy but her head goes under and she sinks!!! Maybe I should invest in one of those life jackets for Maple.....i've had kelpies and german shepherds that swim better than she does!

:D I thought it was only my pup that swims like that - it's kind of overarm instead of doggy paddle. My boy dog swims beautifully and always has! Tilly scares me that she is going to drown she takes so much effort but gets nowhere!

I noticed last time i took them swimming that she stayed very close to shore, in the water though, but four legs firmly on the ground and watched Onsy swim. M aybe she will learn by watching him and enjoy it but if she wants to paddle around the shore that's fine - her human mum is a hopeless swimmer too :confused:

I've tried the supporting byt the tail and under her tummy but her head goes under and she sinks!!! Maybe I should invest in one of those life jackets for Maple.....i've had kelpies and german shepherds that swim better than she does!

gusgem,

I am not laughing at you and your dog, but with you.

If I had a dollar for everyone who sees a labrador swimming and saying " all labradors love water and will swim all day ", I would be a rich woman.

It is quite normal for a puppy or a dog not used to water to lower their back and hind legs and create a large splash.

As I do my puppy type tests, I throw a toy purchased from the $2 shop, which has a yellow and pink tennis balls on each end. This helps the pups to more easily see the article as they are swimming than say a normal retrieving bumper.

In my experience, - mind you I have debated this until the sheep come home, there are natural water dogs, those who simply will swim for the heck of it. Those are the ones I love!!!

Anyway, the further you throw the retrieving article the better swimmer a dog becomes, as they flatten out in time.

Good luck. The warm weather is a great time to train on cheating concepts (bank running etc). Mind you be careful where you access water, SNAKES ARE ABOUT!!!!!!!!!

This is very interesting, i had an Amstaff that couldn't swim, i onlt found out after he fell into a deep part of the river and kept going under, i had to jump in and save him!!! My bitch Marley will not swim i think she can she just doesn't like it she prefers the hose whereas Ned loves the river and would happily swim all day if you let him, but he hates the hose... hmm dogs are are funny little individuals..... :D

Was hoping you would reply LL!!

I took a brightly coloured dog toy that floats with me yesterday but maybe it was big enough in the water for him too see, will go searching for another one.

He isnt at all hesitate about going in the water the only real problem we have is his splashing lol, if you have been to KCC park where that water is out the back he swam out too the little island because he lost the toy, located it again and jumped back in to get it lol

I am wanting to start training him in retrieving trials is there any beginner tips you can give me to start on him at home?

I am making him wait after i have thrown the toy then releasing him too get it, is that good too do or pointless to start teaching at the moment?

My 9 month old lab puppy has been swimming for about a month. Her first attempts were so funny, her bum would keep rising out of the water:

194892378.jpg

then at other times she would start splashing madly:

192568169.jpg

Now after a month of swimming she is a strong confident swimmer and it is hard to keep her out of the water:

194893564.jpg

192566854.jpg

although she does occasionally try to catch a ride!

193615217.jpg

Awesome photos!!!! ;)

I think I got a swimming dud.... :rofl: She absolutely loves water, but will not take that next step to actually swim..... Tried going in myself today while it was hot.... made no difference at all. :confused:

Frustrating as I really want to add it to her fitness/weight loss program over summer until she's old enough to be doing more road work.

Check out my web page, I have an article on how to teach your dog to swim, practice makes perfect. Both of my dogs were scared of puddles when I first got them. My mum dog a Cavalier is a natural he just followed Moses in, and when my mum walks him he heads to the nearest water and waits for her to throw something in for him to retrieve.

http://www.dogtrick.741.com/josh_dive_into_water.htm

I have photos and a video and instructions.

http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?showtopic=9220

I also find that dogs new to swimming panic a bit and do upright swimming. I try and get my dogs used to water as soon as I get whilst still puppys.

In the USA dock jumping is a dog sport, the dog runs to the end of the pier and jumps off, Josh is a natural at this, I am thinking of buying a dock jumping instructional video, shows methods of getting dog to do running jumps. I always check water depth first.