Feeding Raw Eggs

Just wondering if anyone can tell me if feeding raw eggs to dogs is ok. I have a pure bred female doberman who is currently 6 weeks in whelp and a 14month old redhealer bitch. At the moment I have an abundance of eggs and at times the ratbags help themselves to eggs. Just wondering how many a day/week that they can have and if its ok.

raw eggs are fine for dogs. I give mine one a day to keep their coat nice, but mine are long haired. I am not sure if its ok for whort haired but I dont think it would hurt.

I have also heard that the shells are a good source of calcium.

I have given Zephyr raw eggs before, and he loves them, but have never given the shell :thumbsup:

To those of you who do feed the shell - how do you give it to your dog? Do you give them the whole egg (unbroken) and let them munch it up? Or do u crack it open into a dish but leave the shell with it? Curious to know! Might try it myself!

I hand my GS an egg, she'll take it from me and go to the top of the stairs (outside) and drop it. (Smart thing) Then she'll go gulp it up, shell included.

My BC on the other hand won't eat the shell unless its mashed up into tiny pieces, mixed through his food.

My staffy gets raw eggs a couple of times a week, she has a lovely shiny coat. I usually just leave it on the ground and she picks it up and dropsit. She then licks up the contents and then eats the shell. She has been having them since we went to puppy school and the instructor told us it would keep her entertained.

Cheers A

Edited by luv_is_a_staffy

We have chooks, so our guys get whole eggs a couple of times a week. Lola will crunch it till it cracks and makes a mess, but Harry puts one tooth through the shell and sort of sucks it out. But my dogs are weird...

I have always been under the impression that the white of the egg destroys the biotin in the body, and should only be given to dogs if it is lightly cooked, raw yolks are fine................am I misinformed?

Trish

Yep, few times a week. We crush shells into powder, but I only give egg yolk, since I heard several times now that egg white avidin binds to biotin from yolk and prevents absorption...... Does anyone else also give only egg yolk?

Edited by Skipy

I have always been under the impression that the white of the egg destroys the biotin in the body, and should only be given to dogs if it is lightly cooked, raw yolks are fine................am I misinformed?

Trish

I heard that the whites only cause problems when fed alone. If they're fed with the yolk, they're okay. I think something in the yolk neutralizes or counteracts the affects of the white.

I feed whole eggs once or twice a week.

You can safely feed all the egg. The enzymes in the yolk counteract what might otherwise be a biotin problem. You can feed the shells too.

Lots of protein, and very good for dogs, in whelp girls and pups. My litters have a few eggs a week for breakfast, and I recommend new owners continue to do this.

You can safely feed all the egg. The enzymes in the yolk counteract what might otherwise be a biotin problem. You can feed the shells too.

Lots of protein, and very good for dogs, in whelp girls and pups. My litters have a few eggs a week for breakfast, and I recommend new owners continue to do this.

How many eggs could i feed my pup a week (not wanting to feed to many) it sounds like a great idea, she is just having dry food and some wet food atm, and what ever treats go in kong, from bits of meat to some apple.

Trish

People have different opinions. I feed my 2 soft boiled eggs as well as raw eggs.