Tongue Sticking Out, But Don't Drink Water

skwo2

I went back home from work at lunch, I took my 9 weeks old pup outside for toliet break at lunch time, she is tired at that time. Anyway, I let her to play for a while. She is licking on the cover of the sewsage, and after a while, she stick her tongue out and walk, looking very thirsty, so I put a bowl of water in front of her, she wouldn't drink it. But she just keep her tongue out for a little while. So I took the bowl of water in front of her again, and still no drink. I tried more a couple of times. Then of course, I brought her inside the house, knowing that she is tired and hot. Anyway, she didn't stick out her tongue her more.

My question is: why she doesn't lick the water that I gave to her? Is it sticking tougue out is the only reason when dogs are thirsty, could it be any other reason that a dog may stick out its tongue

Could her tongue be burnt by the metal of the sewsage cover, it is aluminum metal type of thing. It is about 28-30 degrees (guessing) in her in Sydney Hills District. How should I check? She wasn't screaming or anything in pain.

She was outside with me for 30 mins or so.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perhaps she's just not thirsty. Dogs also stick their tongues out, or pant, when they are hot...it's how they cool down.

If you're concerned about things perhaps you should ask the breeder...it sounds like you haven't had a dog before and they would be the best people to help you :thumbsup:

Is it sticking tougue out is the only reason when dogs are thirsty, could it be any other reason that a dog may stick out its tongue

Dogs will hang their tongues out to cool down

Do you leave water out for her inside as well ?

She'll drink when she's ready, was probly having too much fun to stop for a drink at the time

Photos? :cry:

Highly doubtful she would have burnt her tongue. You can check if it was hot by placing your own tongue on the metal cover. If you don't get burnt it's probably ok. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :p :p

Skwo2, have you asked the breeder any questions since you bought your pup?

Highly doubtful she would have burnt her tongue. You can check if it was hot by placing your own tongue on the metal cover. If you don't get burnt it's probably ok. :thumbsup:

Now, THAT is something I want to see a photo of :thumbsup:

Edited by Allerzeit

Thanks guys. Um.... if I contact my breeder for every doubtful question I ask, I think she will be sitting on the phone all day.

Btw, what are the signs of dehydration?

Yeah, there is always a bowl of water inside the crate with her. But she always just step into it and make the floor wet. That's another puppy problem that I have to solve out, how can I prevent this?

Off Topic - As with photos, I am really busy at the moment, but sure I am going to put one up....... perhaps tonight?

As has previously been said, you need to have water available for the puppy at all times.

Edited because we posted at the same time. You really should be asking the breeder questions and not just the people here. That is what breeders are for, asking questions. Your breeder should always be the first [erson you contact with questions.

Edited by Norskgra

You can check if it was hot by placing your own tongue on the metal cover. If you don't get burnt it's probably ok. :thumbsup:

This is a great idea. It works equally well in winter for humans to find out if metal is frozen as well.

You can check if it was hot by placing your own tongue on the metal cover. If you don't get burnt it's probably ok. :thumbsup:

This is a great idea. It works equally well in winter for humans to find out if metal is frozen as well.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I agree

yes as everyone has said ... just trying to cool down .. my daccy has the longest tongue thats hangs down . he too looks like he's about to drop from heat exhaustion ... ha .. and he's just walked to the letter box with me ..

regards daccydog

If the puppy is staying in the crate for long periods the best thing for water is a lickit bottle. They attach on the outside of the crate so no chance of being knocked off and the pup/dog learns extremely fast to use them. My adult dogs learnt in like about 10 seconds. If the pup won't lick the nozzle you can put just a smear of honey, vegemite or something on the end and it will soon start licking and realise that water is coming out. I never had to put anything on the end for my adults or pups, they just smelt the water I think.