Why Does My Dog Do This?

DogCat

Roc,s is about 7mths now.Only had him for a month and he came with his own little teddy bear.Roc,s sucks on teddys leg and kneads it with his paws.While he is doing this his eyes are nearly closed.Why does he do this and is it something that will last forever or will he grow out of it?It can be annoying at times when he does it near me,cos it can be so loud.Should I wean him off it or will it affect him in anyway? :thumbsup:

how absolutely cute. He is preteniding to suckle, its a comfort thing. Have you seen young babies feeding off their mum? They pump with their little paws while they suck to help the milk flow, kinda like milking a cow.

Not sure how long teddy will last, but Im sure it smells a lot like his beginnings. What breed is he?

He was put down as a JR/Staffy x to me.So really have no idea.Can see the JR in him for sure.Teddy wont last long cos he has been de-fluffed by my other dog.Rocca just has Teds plump legs to suck on now.I find he is a very highly strung dog so maybe this is way of relaxing and winding down.I think I will just keep supplying him with new fluffies.Yes it is kinda cute really.When I can work out how to post pics here I will pop some on.I am very blonde when it comes to these things.

Goodmorning :thumbsup:

Yes Joey does a similar thing when he's upset bout something or over excited..he also tugs and nuzzles into my hair....hes 2 years old ;)

I stopped making a fuss out it ages ago...if i did, he would do it more...

I just let him do it now, he doesn't seem to do it for as long periods as he used too :dropjaw:

Theres been some other recent threads bout this behaviour that you could do a search for on here as well if you want :vomit:

until i did a post on it on here long time ago when i first got Joey, i thought he was the only dog that did this ! LOL

Edited by Jules loves Joey and Renae

My aunty had a daschund cross kelpie (was the size and shape of a daschund, with the kelpies colouring and face) she "sucked" all her life right up until she passed away at the age of 16. She especially did it to the inside of sleeping bags (while you were in it :D :hug: )

I though it was cute, but the sound became quite annoying, especially if you were tired.