Clipping A Peke

frufru

Had a request today to clip a baby pekingese (purchased from a pet shop grrrr). I don't generally like clipping double coated breeds unless there is no alternative - but I did a little research and found some breeders (generally in the USA) who recommend clipping for pets. Can anyone offer any advice or experiences?

I have clipped numerous pekes as instructed by the owners and only one grew back patchy but they later discovered it had a thyroid problem, sometimes owners will be shocked the first time because they will be a completely different colour when cut short. All brown/red pekes I have clipped have been grey underneath.

Why on earth would they want to clip a baby.

If they cannot maintain the baby coat now, will they put in the hard yards to properly care for this dog for the rest of its life. There is more to keeping a Peke comfortable in hot weather than clipping it, if that is the aim.

I would have to seriously question these people.

I was asked last week to clip off a 13 week old maltese, because although the puppy was cute they really wanted a short haired dog!!!

Edited by Nadia

That good ol pet shop purchase. I don't think they even know what the dog will look like as an adut. You know what the worst thing is - every time I go past the local Pets Paradise store there are people in there looking at the puppies.

If you had seen some of the pekes in rescue and the hopelessly matted coats, you'd maybe encourage these people who obviously care enough to pay the money (today, anyway) to clip the coat if they can't/won't maintain it.

I agree wholeheartedly that it is not a good option and maybe they should have been better prepared. Mum has always had poodles (and bred spaniels back in the old country) and her peke (from rescue) is the biggest challenge she has had in grooming. Dolly has to be thoroughly brushed every 2-3 days tops to maintain her lovely coat. This is one gorgeous but high maintenance breed!!!

Pet shops - what can I say that hasn't been said a million times. There is one in Ashfield mall, full of oodles who cry and bark...I hate going past on my way to Woolies.

Thanks Ginger and others - it's not a breed I am familiar with but my small amount of research made it clear that this is a very high maintenance breed in terms of coat so will nicely go through the options with the couple - just didn't want to dive in (so to speak) and end up creating a coat that is even more difficult to deal with.

I encourage my customers to start having their dogs clipped as young as possible most poodles are clipped well before they go to their new homes. If done correctly their is nothing wrong with clipping a baby and these people are obviously trying to do the right thing.

I am wondering why any groomer would encourage a pet owner to keep a dog in full coat just because it looks nicer especially if the owners dont feel they can maintain it.

I encourage my customers to start having their dogs clipped as young as possible most poodles are clipped well before they go to their new homes. If done correctly their is nothing wrong with clipping a baby and these people are obviously trying to do the right thing.

I am wondering why any groomer would encourage a pet owner to keep a dog in full coat just because it looks nicer especially if the owners dont feel they can maintain it.

Why buy one of these breeds if you have no intention of maintaining its coat right from day one. Baby Puppy coats are not not that hard to maintain.

They could buy a pug, similar look no coat.

My concern is that these dogs do not always get lifelong care. Many owners want them also clipped off because they feel they wont cope with the heat. It takes more than a haircut to help these breeds cope with summer issues.

They are cute babies, but need a committed owner.

Poodle are a clipped breed. Face, feet and tails yes they clipped before they leave the breeder, often several times.

Pekes are not a clipped coated breed.

Ask any peke breeder out there how many dogs they have in full quotes all the ones i now clip them off & also encourgae there pet owners to clip.Yes there not clipped when they leave but in adult coat there is no reason why they should be in full coat.

We also board many pekes which are clipped off & they are dogs to the fulliest.

Peke breeders who have dogs in full show coat generally band the coats around the face & tail to keep tidy & the dags from clinging.

People who have pekes as pets are very aware of the heat issue but pekes make great pets & clipped off are true dogs & live a great life rollicking about.Commonsense tells you that pekes arent the norm being so low to the ground & they collect everything in there coats even on the best manicured lawns.

I have been associated with many BIS pekes who on retirement had a haircut party

FruFru dpending on the coat we use either the clip ons or a 4.The heads we leave full but balance to the body.If the body is done regular you can maintain the dog in a good fluffy clip which is practical but still gives you that classy peke look.

I know a peke is not a clipped breed for showing doesn't mean anything, if someone wants to keep their dog comfortable and pay the money to do so they have every right.

Bearded collies are not a 'clipped' breed either but most breeders i've spoke to keep any dogs not being shown quite short.

Now I know why so many customers come in complaining about other groomers not doing what they are asked.

We are talking about baby puppies, of course many retired show dogs and adult pets are clipped off. I am questioning the need and the motive behind wanting to clip a Baby Puppy.

I have been asked to clip off baby shih tzu, maltese, poodles some as young as 9 weeks old.

Would it not raise questions in your mind??

Why bother with a coated breed??

Most of these pups come from pet shops so you have to wonder if much thought has been put into the initial purchase and the necessary after care of the pup.

Reasons why sometimes people do not get the "CLIP" they ask for....

Badly matted coats that make it impossible to send the dog home witht he requested 4 inches of fluff.

Cocker ears that clunk on the floor when clipped off, impossible to send that one home in a show clip too.

Would you clip a swf off with a #30 simply so it does not leave hair around the house at night when it spends its days outside in a QLD summer.

Clipped any Labs lately because they shed??

Sometimes owners ask the impossible or simply haven't a clue.

edited because of gremlins

Edited by Nadia

Yep your right but I don't really understand what the problem is, it doesn't hurt the dog and the owners want it done. If it was your own dog then by all means make that choice, I know a baby coat is easy maintenance but many owners run into trouble as soon as it starts to change into adult coat, if they keep it clipped they wont have that problem. IMO much better than a hot, matted dog with a bad skin condition.

We are talking about baby puppies, of course many retired show dogs and adult pets are clipped off. I am questioning the need and the motive behind wanting to clip a Baby Puppy.

I have been asked to clip off baby shih tzu, maltese, poodles some as young as 9 weeks old.

Would it not raise questions in your mind??

Why bother with a coated breed??

Most of these pups come from pet shops so you have to wonder if much thought has been put into the initial purchase and the necessary after care of the pup.

Reasons why sometimes people do not get the "CLIP" they ask for....

Badly matted coats that make it impossible to send the dog home witht he requested 4 inches of fluff.

Cocker ears that clunk on the floor when clipped off, impossible to send that one home in a show clip too.

Would you clip a swf off with a #30 simply so it does not leave hair around the house at night when it spends its days outside in a QLD summer.

Clipped any Labs lately because they shed??

Sometimes owners ask the impossible or simply haven't a clue.

Ok misinterpreted what you were saying, I understand the reasons you have listed why owners don't get what they want (I deal with it all the time) but I do have lots of people coming in saying 'another groomer wouldn't clip the dog because it's a pom' or 'I didn't want my poodles FFT shaved but the groomer did it anyway because it's a poodle and it has to be done'.

I rarely get people giving stupid reasons why they want their dog short and I don't usually question why someone wants a coated breed clipped off even a baby because these are the owners that usually maintain their dog the way they should, it's the one's who want a long coat left on that tend to cause the problems and not look after their dogs, perhaps you've had different experiences to me.

BTW I have never had anyone ask me to shave a lab :laugh: I don't think i'd know what to say.

Our family had a peke when I was much younger and she always got clipped as it was in Singapore and it's really quite humid.. I thought she looked really cute as she always came back looking younger and very 'light' and the groomers usually put a little ribbon .. :confused: but that usually didnt last very long..