Bathing A 4 Mounth Old

bridged

How do i wash my 4 mounth old rotti? She loves going for swims but when i try to bath her the second the water turns on all hell brakes loose she does not want to be in that bath :laugh:

So how do I wash her with uot washing half the house too?

What about one of those clam wading pools for kids ?? You could fill with water/ shampoo etc and she could "play" in it ??? (Works for my son !!)

I think if I were to put that in the back yard she would come out twice as dirty as she was before

Briged, firstly take control.You using the Bath it seems.run the amount of Water you want in the Bath first before you go anywhere near the Pup.that way your not having to contend with Taps.Put the pup on a Lead and put in the Bath and do what your going to do. Tonymc

We bath Billy in the laundry tub.

I run the water first, and fill a bucket with enough water to rinse him off using a big jug rather than run the tap when he is actually in the tub.

The first few times were disastourous, however he is getting much improved, I dont have a lead on him, i just hold him very firmly under his neck, when he starts to squirm a stern no and some reasuring words seem to calm him down and he gives in and tolerates it.

I am not saying we still dont end up with water everywhere but over time he is getting much better with the whole process and I end up with the floor cleaned in the laundry as a bonus!.

I wouldnt use the outside tap as i think the cold water would freak him out more, i use warm water.

The only problem with the tub is lifting him in and out, he may outgrow being able to lift him in, but for now it works for us and i will probably change to the bath tub when he is too big to lift so high. On the upside it is a small contained area and it is easier to control him in such a small space, and i am standing and not bending or kneeling so i have more contol. At the end i pull the plug, wait for the water to drain, wrap a towel around him and dry him off a bit........and then he runs outside and rolls around on the grass for about 4 hours. LOL

Edited by billiam

I agree with Tony take control ,the dog isnt the leader you are & the way you deal with bathing will mould it for life.

Make sure you have a no slip mat in the bath,many people dont use a mat ,dog slips/panics & hell breaks loss.Be orginanized before you start,have the gera ready & reachable,place pup in bath & with a firm tone tell it to stay,dont have a conversation or plead with it or make a big deal its a very firm but simple stay.Some will fill the bath prior & bucket the water we use a tap attachments but also have the hydrobath but we deal with dogs every day & people everyday that say there dog wont let them bath them,they will & they do .It is no different than a child but many people accept way more from the dog & remember 4 mths is easy at 12 months it will be 40 kilos

Be firm,the dog isnt made of china & you are the one in charge.If dog performs have a good grip(use a fixed coallar for grip),it will chuck a tainty but its just that a tainty your response is what makes the results.

You can also use buckets outside but the same thing applies it isnt a game ,you are the pack leader you set the rules & with patience the dogs will understand & enjoy its experience

I suggest you get that 4 month old under control right now...bathing a full-grown Rottweiler who wont 'let' you is going to be ridiculous and dangerous.

Do you have other dominance/disobedience issues?

Na not at all shes very well behaved most of the time its just the baths she hates.

I think i'll try filling the bath then pouring water over her with a bucket she seems to be ok when the taps off i think it just might be that she hates.

The first time we bathed Ben was hilarious. He was just a little puppy back then. We had an outside laundry with an old concrete tub. One held him while the other washed him. He was very sad ;) . We then took him out onto the grass to towel dry him and the little bugger took off with the towel. He ran and ran around the backyard having a great old time playing chaseys, and then went and rolled in the dirt. We had to laugh :thumbsup:

Bath no. 2 was a very different story. We took him to a hydrobath and had someone else wash him. He carried on a bit, but was pretty good and got lots of treats. After that we washed him ourselves at the hyrdobath. He has regular baths and is great now (except he always wedges himself in the corner and you can't wash his back end).

I'd go the hydrobath option, might be an easier way to get him used to it, and you can get some tips on how to go about it yourself.

I wouldnt use the outside tap as i think the cold water would freak him out more, i use warm water.

We got one of those long hand shower attachment thingies. We put it on the taps in the laundry so we can bath the dogs outside with warm water.

I started washing my two straight away once they came home.

They get washed weekly and they now stand in teh bath. They are 9 and 8 months old.

I have a hand help shower attachement that i use, i haev also taught them to ;stand' in the bath.

They will both stand until i have squished the water off them and rub them down then they will shake and get out.

Try the laundry trough if she still fits, i now use th ebath cause Barker is too big for the trough.

But as has been suggested run the water first or get the bucket of rinse water ready and then put the dog in the bath. I wouldn't use the outside tap unless it was a really hot day - although with water restrictions you shouldn't use the hose anyway.