Made Me Sick

staffshih

Had a little dog in the grooming shop today it was a poodle x. Lovely little dog friendly and quiet.

Well the poor thing had puss coming out of his eye's, nose and mouth its body felt so hot. You could see that this dog was so sick and had a hard job breathing as the puss was blocking it's nasal passages. The smell from this dog was revolting that i threw up. Rang and told the owners that it needed to go to the vet's immediatly as it was getting worse with it's breathing. Don't know if they are going to take it or not.

Is distemper still on the horizon in Australia? I've seen several die of it when I was younger and the symptoms are very similar to what you described.

Many people would never have seen a dog with distemper I guess, particularly if they are under about 35 years of age.

I think this is a serious case of neglect and the owners deserve a warning from the RSPCA. How could they not notice, the smell alone would give it away! I would try to drill it into them that this dog is very ill and needs veterinary attention as a matter of urgency...I would also try to obtain their address (make it seem like it's just business protocol) and phone number and wait a day or two and then report them to the RPSCA. You can't turn a blind eye to cases like these. People make me sick. They probably don't mind spending money on themselves but when it comes to ensuring that their pets obtain the proper care they sooner look the other way...I guess the reason they have taken it in to be groomed is just so as to make it look like it is well looked after as they may have visitors now that it's the festive season.

Many people would never have seen a dog with distemper I guess, particularly if they are under about 35 years of age.

Oops! So I won't admit to having seen quite a number of distemper cases when I was younger, as that would be telling my age! ;) 'tis a rotten disease, though and hope it doesn't make the come-back in epidemic proportions as we used to see it. Vaccinations have helped a great deal in this regard.

Puggles - I think distemper is still around, but not anything near what we used to see, thank heavens.

Edited by Erny

Puggles - I think distemper is still around, but not anything near what we used to see, thank heavens.

Thanks. I wasn't sure.

When I was in Vet Nursing I never, ever saw a case of distemper and I haven't heard of any dog having it for at least 25 years.

Poor little tyke. Not sure how much more you can do though ;)

The last thing you need to fall foul of the privacy laws and get the grooming salon into trouble. (or do you own it? In that case you can make a decision on much strife you are willing to get into)

That is why I suggested that you wait a few days and then make a discreet call to the RPSCA and tell them that you believe that this dog is a case of serious neglect, the RPSCA is bound by privacy laws so they cannot divulge who is responsible for reporting them; something has got to be done, you can't just ignore this situation.

There's no point speculating what kind of health problem this poor dog may be harbouring, that is not doing him any good and the owners are either oblivious that there is a problem or simply don't want to go to the vet otherwise they would have gone by now...I'm afraid to say that his life is in your hands Staffshi and you can do so without getting yourself or the grooming salon in any kind of strife.

Edited by Zorro_007

There's no point speculating what kind of health problem this poor dog may be harbouring, that is not doing him any good and the owners are either oblivious that there is a problem or simply don't want to go to the vet otherwise they would have gone by now...I'm afraid to say that his life is in your hands Staffshi and you can do so without getting yourself or the grooming salon in any kind of strife.

Yes there is a point in speculating, Staffshih can include this info if they choose to contact the RSPCA, and it may educate others on the signs of Distemper.

ETA: Unfortunately the RSPCA are not usually quick to jump, in my experience of reporting serious cases from a Vet Clinic...so hopefully someone helps this dog, but I'm not really sure of the likelihood of that happening.

Mel.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

The last thing you need to fall foul of the privacy laws and get the grooming salon into trouble. (or do you own it? In that case you can make a decision on much strife you are willing to get into)

I'm sorry to harp, but to my knowledge there would be no breach of confidentiality, nor should there be any negative fall-out for a grooming salon (whether the OP owns it or not) to formally enquire out of concern for the well-being of one of their canine clients. If the OP doesn't own it, I would first consult with the owner so he/she knows of and permits the phone call being made.

Wouldn't that be the best place to start, rather than talking of calling in the RSPCA (whom I'm dubious would take timely action on this matter, if at all)? ;) After all, who knows whether the owners of the dog have or haven't acted on the OP's recommendation to seek veterinary advice and attention, even though we might well feel we have cause to doubt that at the moment.

My mum and i own the grooming salon. I have reported it to the local ranger and she is going to check it up for us to wether it has been to the vet's she said that there isn't much we can do, only to advise the owner.

I went into such a panic over seeing this dog as maybe what it has would be contagious, i had a shower at a friends place and threw away my clothing that it came in contact with as i have 6 x 4 week old babies at home and don't want anything to happen to them.

Zorro, you are a fool to think that there is no point worrying about what health concerns the dog may have.

Staffshih, has an moral and legal responsibility to provide a safe and clean environment for her other clients. I would indeed be very very concerned if the dog is ill and has come into contact with others in her salon. It would also be helpful to know what you are dealing with, so that you can clean the salon appropriately and reduce the risk of further infection.

If a dog has been neglected, you can report what you see. What action is taken, is another story, but I feel you have a moral duty to report any abuse or neglect.

Shaffshi, also has a very young litter at home and would take precautions on a daily basis, so as to reduce the chance of bringing any disease home. I too would be treating whatever this dog has, as life threateing to my pups, unless proven otherwise.

Get a grip Zorro

Distemper is still around but vaccination is very effective. There's been several small outbreaks reported in unvaccinated dogs in Western Sydney in the last 3-4 years alone.

Wow, thanks Rappie! I thought it had all but been eliminated.

Could I ask a favour of you to supply some details on what we should look out for. As I said, it has been many, many years since I have seen it and I never saw it during my time nursing.

I hate to pick up a rescue that may have it.