Puppy Sleeps Outside From Day 1 ?

beaglenewb

I dont see the point in owning a dog if it spends its life outdoors. I have crates for mine and they now sleep in my bedroom with the added bonuses of protection and peace :thumbsup:

Yes if they are inside all the time and suddenly you make a sudden shift in their lives (like spending majority of time outside while you are home) the dog is going to be wondering what the heck is going on. Its completely shifting its pack structure for it, and for some breeds especially that are so people orientated, can be hard so they carry on. Can get used to it but I dont see a point to it.

I dont see the point in owning a dog if it spends its life outdoors. I have crates for mine and they now sleep in my bedroom with the added bonuses of protection and peace :rasberry:

Yes if they are inside all the time and suddenly you make a sudden shift in their lives (like spending majority of time outside while you are home) the dog is going to be wondering what the heck is going on. Its completely shifting its pack structure for it, and for some breeds especially that are so people orientated, can be hard so they carry on. Can get used to it but I dont see a point to it.

Hi of course he will be let into the house sometimes but when I am at work and at night he would be sleeping outside. We will love him to bits. He is going to be my walking buddy :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info :rofl:

Beagles don’t do well being separated from their family, they are very much a pack orientated dog and are at their happiest when involved in a family unit. Most beagles adapt to being both inside and outside. All my beagles sleep inside and settle straight away in their crates, much better than them up all night sniffing and baying at cats, fox’s and Bats!

our boy sleeps outside, for the first few weeks he slept in the laundry, we set up his kennel outside, with mattress outside, and it is all under a large very protected shelter.

We gradually got him use to spending time outside and he would sleep in his kennel in the day. We would put treats in there for him to entice him in, and we left the top off for a while until he got use to it, then, One night he fell asleep in his kennel and i woke him and brought him in, the next night he fell asleep out there i left him, i got no sleep but everytime i checked on him he was fast asleep all snug in his kennel.

Now he either sleeps in his kennel, on the swining chair or on one of the out door chairs, these are all under shelter and he doesnt seem to mind one bit. I often check on him during the night and he rarely even lifts his head when he sees me, just opens his eyes and goes straight back to sleep, he gives us no trouble at all.....he is not a beagle so i cant comment on beagles specificaly.

He is mainly an outside dog but spends time inside during the day if we are home and of a night he is usually in for a couple of hours. He is played with every day, walked every day and spends lots of time with us either inside or out.

Sometimes i think the term outside dog has a certain negative connitation to it, but not all "outside dogs" are just left out there and ignored.

We had the intention of our guys being outside at night dogs, and it worked for the first couple of weeks with Indy. Then we had a number of nights where it was BUCKETING down with lots of really close thunder and lightning, and he was out in the rain scratching on the back door to come in (it was a rental). That was probably the opportunity to crate him, but we were suckers! Now we can't believe we'd let a little tacker outside (even when it can be totally sheltered), and when Keg came he never had a night outside.

We absolutely love having them sleep with us, it's just so special, but I understand it's not for everyone. Would NEVER do it with a skinkid though, that's just sick! :thumbsup::rofl::rasberry:

Hi Thanks

I will take all that info in and see how we do. Hopefully he won't whine at night. Or in the morning the whole family will be whining :thumbsup:

our boy sleeps outside, for the first few weeks he slept in the laundry, we set up his kennel outside, with mattress outside, and it is all under a large very protected shelter.

We gradually got him use to spending time outside and he would sleep in his kennel in the day. We would put treats in there for him to entice him in, and we left the top off for a while until he got use to it, then, One night he fell asleep in his kennel and i woke him and brought him in, the next night he fell asleep out there i left him, i got no sleep but everytime i checked on him he was fast asleep all snug in his kennel.

Now he either sleeps in his kennel, on the swining chair or on one of the out door chairs, these are all under shelter and he doesnt seem to mind one bit. I often check on him during the night and he rarely even lifts his head when he sees me, just opens his eyes and goes straight back to sleep, he gives us no trouble at all.....he is not a beagle so i cant comment on beagles specificaly.

He is mainly an outside dog but spends time inside during the day if we are home and of a night he is usually in for a couple of hours. He is played with every day, walked every day and spends lots of time with us either inside or out.

Sometimes i think the term outside dog has a certain negative connitation to it, but not all "outside dogs" are just left out there and ignored.

I reckon you should start as you mean to go on.

My dogs are crated or penned inside at night. Pups have been sleeping inside since 12 weeks (they can hold their bladder all night at that age).

That way I know exactly where they are, that nobody is playing with toads or barking while I am asleep

I don't see the point of having a dog if you intend for it to live outside, unless you also intend to live and sleep outside. I take it the latter isn't what you mean? :rasberry:

Please consider having your pup indoors with you. It's much kinder for the dog in the long run...and not to mention your neighbours! I'm sure any younger dog would be awfully noisy if they were left outside ALL NIGHT. :rofl:

You can invest in a crate...they make wonderful dog beds, make house training easier, give the dog a safe place to be no matter what's happening around them (some dogs are frightened of storms or fireworks or both, and if left outside, will escape or die trying to escape). :thumbsup:

I wouldn't like to sleep outside so my dogs dont :rasberry: There has been a few fosters that have slept outside but that was because they started whining when I let them sleep in the bathroom (with a mat, water etc).

In the beginning, my dogs were supposed to sleep on the floor (on a mat) in the bedroom but for some reason they migrated to the bed and they've stayed there ever since :thumbsup:

The most crucial time for toilet training a pup is when it comes home,if you want a house trained dog then it needs to be trained in the house.Whilst some dogs can learn both dont expect the pup in say 2 yrs time to come in the house & be clean if its been an outside dog.

Personnally for me i couldnt have the dog in winter sitting inside with me & then when im ready to go to bed turf it outside in the cold when its been in the warmth.

I agree people spend a great deal outside but when its 40 there inside & when its peeing down with rain or freezing there not outside but the dog still is

Billy is perfectly house trained when he is inside, he will actually go and sit at the back door to go out to toilet, alternativley if he has not been out for a while i will just say come and do a wee, he comes out with me does a wee and waits at the door to come back in with me.

We trained him just like normal when he was spending time inside.

We were out all morning, we filled his shell with water, he has lots of shade and toys and nice places to rest, He has been inside here all afternoon in the aircon, he is now outside as we are going to eat out there, and he will probably come back in later. Sometimes he doesnt want to come in if he has a particularly fun thing to keep him busy.

We love Billy to death, spoil him rotten, i dont feel at all guilty if he is outside when we are at work or sleeping as he seems perfectly happy and is well sheltered and entertained, and he never barks or whines.

I understand having dogs sleeping inside, but i dont think its the only option and i would hate people to feel guilty about it when it can work well with some thought and preperation.

My boys are outside during the day. Spartan, who is 4, spent the first part of his life predominantly indoors as my mum was home most of the day. when i moved out and took him with me, he started out inside and we gradually moved him outdoors. Well we soon got complaints that he was barking during the day, so we got him a companion and he has been fine ever since.

The youngest boy, now 7 months, has spent the majority of his daytimes outdoors. He has not had a winter yet, but they have a shell pool, a lot of shade and undercover and comfortable beds.

I would say, start as you mean to go on unless you want another dog to keep your confused one company!!

Oh and my boys sleep in the house at night... in our room... on our bed...

edited to add about the night time bit

Edited by SparkyTansy

You have the cutest little pup there!!!!

We actually looked at getting a beagle then decided on a lab. Anyways we let Portia sleep in our room when we first bought her home to let her settle in. THen when we tried to teach her to sleep outside (when i say sleep outside i mean we go to bed at 11pm and are up by 6pm everyday) she winged and barked to be let in. We tried everything to get her to settle, toys, ignoring, ect but nothing works. We have extremly nasty neighbours so now we have to let her sleep in our room and she now thinks that everytime she barks she will be let in the house. She is in the house 90% of the time and i love it, but it makes it hard when she sheds consinuosly and i have to vaccum 3 - 4 times a week. I do this because i lover her but If you choose to have an outside dog then i think you should start it from day one and dont give in. Also talk to your neighbours and ask them to bear with you while you do this as it may take some time.

Thanks hope this helps.

My family always had dogs that were outside dogs.

Now I let my dogs come in when we are home, but they go outside to sleep. (Some of you may remember my terrible tales of woe trying to crate train Coda to sleep inside). They have kennels and a trampoline bed outside, but most times they prefer to lie on the concrete.

IMHO it is not a bad thing for dogs to sleep outside, provided they have suitable accommodation.

I was told by Onslow's breeder to start as I meant to continue so he spent his days outside whilst I was at work (I came home at lunchtime) from day one. He is able to come in when I'm home if he wants to, but he loves being outside. Often he chooses to stay out all night when it's hot, otherwise he sleeps on my bed. However he is not allowed to sleep inside at my mum's place and he just automatically goes outside at nighttime without any complaints when we are visiting. Likewise in the morning, when he sees me getting ready for work, both just automatically go out the backdoor without any fuss. May have something to do with the fact that they get a biscuit each too :thumbsup:

Tilly spent the first few weeks in the bathroom whilst I was at work and then when she was a bit bigger she too went outside during the day. She is inside more though than Onsy coz she likes to be with me constantly :rasberry:

Edited by Onslowsmum

I agree with the poster who said that having an mainly outside dog has bad connotations attached to it.

My Sibe choses to be outside, he loves it. He sleeps outside (his choice) on our deck, which is a semi-wrap around deck and is completely enclosed (except for where it leads to the backyard).

I don't think it is cruel to let him sleep outside. He is extremely spoilt and well loved and I do not like how people assume because he is mainly an outside dog that he is getting the bad end of the stick or that we are being cruel, or not giving him enough attention.

Our Beagle pup sleeps inside but her bed is in the lounge room, next to the door that leads onto the deck... how is this that different to where my Sibe sleeps? She is closer to outside than she is to our bed rooms. How is that any less "cruel" than where my Sibe sleeps? She also spends a lot of time outside, her choice.

The only one of our dogs that is inside majority of the time is our elderly Tibetan spaniel and she does not get anymore attention than our other two dogs (we spend a lot of time outside and most of our house opens up onto our deck so we are always going in and out).

Also ALL our dogs are put outside when we are not home. With my Tibbie she is put on a separated part of our deck so she isn't harassed by our younger dogs. Again I do not see how this is cruel if 1) we are not home anyway and 2) they have access to the backyard but also have access to our deck which provides them a space that is enclosed and separated from the elements and more than adequate shelter.

When it is a hot day we have a concrete slab under our deck that we hose down/wet - my sibe LOVES this. If we are home and it is hot enough for us to have the aircon on we let everyone come inside.

I think our animals live a great life :thumbsup:

ETA: I forgot to mention that my Sibe started sleeping outside when he was 12 months old because we moved to a much smaller house and my mum didn't want him inside there. He used to sleep on my bedroom floor every night until this time and I was dead set against having him outside. The first night he howled for a little bit and then that was it. He adjusted very quickly and very well - I gave him the choice to sleep inside one night and he kept going to the door, wanting to be put out. He likes it :rasberry:

Edited by husky87