Long Shaggy Scruffy Coat

Hi all,

Can someone please give me some tips on grooming a long scruffy coated dog. Think he is a bearded collie X wolfhound. A real scruffer, I have always had short coated dogs, greys, jrt's, foxy.

Im really not sure where to start, i was going to get him clipped but after reading a few threads, am thinking i may not do that now. He has a downy under coat.

His coat doesnt really shed, nothing like my others, yaaay

Can someone give some guidance on what to do first. Yesterday I tried to trim his beard as it is yuckky from eating and drinking, he saw the sissors and was gone, so I am thinking he hasnt had a good experience with sissors, LOL

I will get him groomed but dont want to do it yet, he is a rescue and I want him to settle in first before i introduce more strange things to him.

He doesnt mind being combed, not thrrilled, but tolerates it ok.

I have read all the threads on grooming, and I am even more confused, LOL. Shedding tools, mars, furinator etc......

Thanx in advance for your replies....... ;)

I was looking at the Mars Coat king, but it looks like a pretty dangerous implement if you dont know what you are doing, LOL

Some kind of medieval tool :laugh:

The Mars comb looks dangerous but it has the cutting edge on the inside and it is near impossible to cut the skin. You can run the blade down your arm and you will not leave a mark. It is much safer than many of the dematting combs around.

It really depends on the coat type on what is best to do. If he has a wolfie type coat then you could strip the longer hair out to tidy him up and keep the coat weather proof. A beardie coat would be better trimmed into a nice shape.

Photos definitly needed, though I would also suggest you pop into a groomers just for a chat on what options they suggest - sometimes you really need to get hands on a dog to know what the best way to treat the coat will be.

I have never met such a beautiful natured dog in my life, Im besotted with this boy. He just trys so hard to please everyone :):mad:mad

This is "till death do us part"

Cant find the camera cord to d/loaad to the computer, these photos are courtesy of aunty Fiona,LOL

His coat is actually very soft, I thought it would have been wiry when I saw a photo of him. When I comb him the long hair doesnt brush out, he has a downy undercoat that combs out.

Opinions on what to do please.

Hah! I was meaning to ask Fiona where Jonah had gone! Hw wonderful he has a home with a DOLer, now you will be able to keep us up-to-date with photos! You are very lucky, I met him while he was at Fiona's, and he is just gorgeous!! Are you calling him Jonah or has he had a name change?

Actually i do now of incidients with coat kings,whilst it was due to not being used right the dogs still suffered injuires,the worse being 48 microstitches.

Anything with blades can do damage,the most important thing with a coat king is its used correctly & you get the right one for the dogs coat.

If you want to use something with less worry try an undercoat rake.

Personally i would leave his beard that is his character & once trimmed he wont have that gentleman look.

I would ask a good groomer what they think or even a breeder of either breeds what they use but basically a good slicker & comb through will do the job until the coat is ready to come out

OMG I am astounded............ I jst called everyone in my house to come and have a look at "jonahs" picture i had put on the net. (I showed them yours)

They all said "yeah, what jonahs looking athe camera, so what???????" When I told them it wasnt Jonah but another beautiful boy they didnt believe me, LOL

Tell me about him t-time, has he a gorgeous nature like my boy? Gentle, kind, calm? What breed was he, we are not too sure about this one....we say bearded collie X wolfie......

:):hug::hug: AMAZING

Maybe he is Wolfie cross Old English Sheepdog? I have an OES and he has a nature just as you describe....and his coat sounds similar too.

As far as the grooming goes. I just use a pin brush on Charlie every couple of days (obviously he is a bit more hairy....plus bindi's get stuck everywhere) following him in lines and brushing from the skin and up the hair...so it goes all the way through. I have a comb for near his ears and his beard and nether regions...and just bought a slicker brush for his neck and legs.

Hi everyone, thanx for your replies, will just get a good quality comb and seewhaqt happens. He is being desexed today, and really didnt want me to leave him there, first time I have heard him make a noise. We were thinking that maybe he didnt have a voicebox, LOL.