Please Help....

megastar

What is the best way to rid a dog of stickfast fleas? I went into my vet yesterday and they recommended spray, and tweezering out the dead ones. But I have also been told that malawash is better, and to tweezer them out as well.

As one of my girls has a flea allergy I'm looking for the best way to kill them longterm,

not necessarily to quickest way to remove them - I dont care if I have to sit and tweezer them out for the next 10 days, (it will probably take me that long to get through my girls long thick coats anyway :banghead: )

I just want them gone asap!

What is the best way to rid a dog of stickfast fleas? I went into my vet yesterday and they recommended spray, and tweezering out the dead ones.

Forgot to mention, but I think it was frontline spray.

Anyone have any ideas???

Capstar tablets will kill all the fleas on her but only lasts for a day.

I use advantix on my dog with a flea allergy as I want the fleas to die on contact with the dog, not when they bite.

You can also flush the dead ones out by bathing with an extendable shower nozzle that attach to a tap or a hydrobath

will capstar kill stickfast fleas as well as the normal fleas? I have two dogs to treat, but will be treating the cat as well.

Good question.

Just rang novartis and they said that they have reports that it does, but you have to then pull them off.

Found this

ECHIDNOPHAGA – STICK FAST FLEAS

The stick fast flea is found on dogs and only rarely on cats in the Territory. However, it is more

likely to be found on animals in rural areas. The adult female flea attaches to the host and does

not jump away. It remains attached for up to six weeks. It burrows into the skin and lays its eggs

in the skin. The eggs hatch there and the larvae fall off the host and develop like the other fleas.

It takes about four weeks to develop to the adult stage.

The flea is generally found attached to the foot in dogs but also occurs around the eyes and the

perineum. On cats it is mainly found on hairless parts, such as the ears.

Most treatments for fleas are directed against Ctenocephalides but should also be effective

against Echidnophaga. As the life cycle of stick fast fleas can be completed on dogs, the same

methods can be applied for treating their environment. If chickens are the source of infection,

then they must also be treated. If dogs are infected with native species of Echidnophaga, then

wild life is probably the source of infection. You need to be aware that the dog may be picking

up the infection whilst running in the bush.

Recommended actions for severe problems of fleas on dogs or cats:

1. Consult a pest control operator to spray your house and yard. Alternatively you can spray

dog/cat resting areas, kennel or bedding with a product like Exelpet Fleaban Yard and

Kennel Concentrate weekly for three weeks until numbers are greatly reduced. Dispose of

bedding if possible. Elevate kennel above soil. If the animal enters your house, ensure you

vacuum clean thoroughly and spray the contents of the vacuum cleaner with insecticide.

Note: This product is an organophosphate (diazinon) and is toxic to humans. It is poisonous

if absorbed by skin, inhaled, or swallowed. Avoid inhaling. Wear gloves. Wash hands with

soap and water after use or immediately after spills.

2. Treat dog with Frontline Top Spot Dog. Apply between shoulder blades onto the skin or

spray. Treat cats with Frontline Top Spot Cat. Apply between shoulder blades onto the skin

or spray.

Repeat treatment monthly until flea numbers are low.

Advantage or Revolution could also be used.

Or for ongoing control, use Program tablets for dogs and suspension for cats or Sentinel for

dogs. These contain lufenuron, an insect development inhibitor. It does not kill adults but

prevents eggs hatching. An adulticide treatment may be required initially. These are

effective for one month.

Alternatively a flea collar could be used or a wash.

3. Restrict animal movements to treated area so no fleas are picked up elsewhere.

4. Treat all dogs and cats at the same time.

5. Do not allow dogs or cats with fleas into your yard.

Please visit us on our website at www.primaryindustry.nt.gov.au

Thankyou so much Janba!!! I couldnt find anything like that when I searched! Have been to the shops and had a choice between a maldison based and a diazinon based product, I got the maldison based. so I will go and treat the dogs with it, and spray the yard with it too, but I will treat the cat with capstar although she basically stays inside and I havent seen any on her (prevention is probably better than trying to rid her of them she is a cranky old b!+c#)

Best of luck with the fleas. I hadn't heard of stick fast fleas either! I do remember how bad the fleas were where i lived in Qld as well. What product do you usually use? I guess if they're a problem you do need to treat the whole environment and the dogs/cat. Could take a little while to get rid of them all though.

We havent had a problem before...

There are cats that continually roam around the place, and I have had issues with the owner in the past over his lack of care of all his animals, (and because on the odd occasion my cat has gone out to toilet, his cats have attacked her - she refuses to go out at all now). It's my guess that all his animals are infested, and add to that the fact that he has a dozen chooks and geese in his yard, the co-incidence is too great for my liking.

The dogs across the road have them too. And we have actually limited their exposure to each other for this reason, much to Megs disgust! But its the same with the cats roaming in their yard as well.

Stickfast fleas are a beast of a thing!! Living in semi-desert red sandy country we are p-lagued with them..... they live on rabbits in the wild too!

Indoor dogs get advantage or frontline spot-on...applied at several spots around the body/ears..not just one or two. This does work :banghead:

Outdoor dogs/those not near the cats..get twice weekly sprays with permethrin..on feet, belly and ears/forehead only. works a treat :banghead: I love permethrin..no smell....is a bit 'sudsy' and sticks to the coat, and the dogs will stand perfectly still for their spray because of it!

I have nevrr tweezered them out...once dead they fall off with normal brushing, etc.

Works well on the brown(kangaroo) tick, too :banghead:

Poultry get vaseline or olive oil smeared on combs/wattles. Cats get olive or paraffin oil on ears and around eyes ...this also helps with furballs.

Stickfast fleas ,in large numbers can cause severe irritation, anaemia , and I have seen them kill caged birds, due to blood loss.

They are SO small, and on dark-coloured dogs, easily missed because they don't move.

That's just amazing. You learn a new thing everyday. I have worked as a vet nurse and then had a mobile dog wash and I have never come across them. I have had dogs with so many fleas that it physically made me sick with the blood and smell but never fleas that stick on like that. wow must be horrible little things especially hard to get rid of.

Well, I have now swabbed both dogs with the stuff,

and sprayed the entire yard with it... as luck would have it it is now starting to rain

:) Hasnt rained here in well over a month and the day I spray the yard it showers!

About to change heartworm meds back to Sentinel (next dose) just to be on the safe side again :rolleyes:

I had a real flea problem about 6 months ago. I changed from advantage to using Sentinel Spectrum, which is an oral tablet, that prevents fleas, does intestinal worms and heartworm. (My dogs spend a lot of time in water, so the tablet is much more effective than a spot on treatment.) I also began rinsing my dogs in Fido's flea rinse concentrate about once a week. It took about 4 months to actually fully see the effect, but now I don't have a flea problem at all. It took time, patience and consistency. I also sprayed the kennels, around the yard where the dogs spend a lot of time etc a couple of times as well with an insecticide.

Usually I give Star the sentinel spectrum, but because of the price I was buying it on line and forgot to order some before I ran out ( I know, how hard is it to remember to order before the month is up :) ) so was treating her with another heartworm product. Will go back to sentinal now, as the allergy isnt worth taking a chance on her getting fleas again.

I feel like a bad mummy :rolleyes:

I would check with your local council about poultry & what the owners are expected to do.

Stickfast are the worst & if there chooks are infested then they most certainly should be addressing the issue especially if there spreading around to all.