Fish?

Snap

Hi everyone :thumbsup:

I was wondering what type of fish you feed to your dogs? Today I bought a small can of John West pink salmon and a tin of sardines in spring water. What do your dogs like best and what brand is good?

Thanks for any help in advance

Emily

Ok I went to our local seafood retailer here to find the price of fresh crays which was $40.

I then saw bins of fresh salmon like 2 kilo type at only $3.00 a kilo so I bought two of them, took them home ripped the fillets off microwaved for three mins and fed to the tribe 9 Shih Tzu's and 1 Saint Bernard. Boy what a hit it was not one bit if fish to be found little guys had one fillet Boogie had three that's fair. not a sign of what they had enjoyed for tea and all for under ten dollars. So I will be doing a bit more of that on a regular basis now .

Sardines and tuna. They wolf it down. :thumbsup:

The Brunswick sardines come in packs of 3, they're pretty cheap. Tuna - just home brand stff - same as we use for ourselves.

Left over bait, eg pilchards, whole prawns or squid. Not so keen on the big prawns as they can be a bit spiky. These ones will just be about half of a meal, seeing it's not a regular occurrance, but the other stuff is a whole meal about once or twice a week.

Our mutts love tuna steak .. that is when they get near the 18yo Cats bowl (a big no no :thumbsup: ;) ), then there is anything that they can reach from the floor or counter.

Lola is smart, she has worked out how to push a dining chair over to the counter in order to steal a BBQ chicken, all in the time it took me to see a family in the office.. Bloody working dog smarts .. ;)

I buy the tins that say Alaskan salmon. I remember seeing saying you shouldnt buy the Atlantic (????) or something....can't remember now :thumbsup:

I buy the sardines in oil and tuna in springwater.

I haven't bought fresh fish for myself for a while now, let alone the furkids ;)

They get chicken breast and wings most days. They also get yummy veges ;)

Tinned mackerel or sardines are favorites here. Both are really oily, strong smelling (and presumably flavored) fish. I used to sometimes feed the dogs and cat whole raw fish, until Lulu arrived. Lulu likes to play a little game called "slap the fish". This is terribly amusing, and involves taking the fish, gripping it firmly in mouth and slapping it up against chairs, tables, doorframes, walls - anything really. Oh, so funny, and when one has had enough of slapping the fish, or when I've had enough and confiscated the smelly thing, one finds as many uneaten pieces of raw fish as possible from the other dogs' bowls and then hides them all over the house and yard. The idea being that as each piece is sniffed out and removed (by me) another one is brought in from the garden to replace it :eek::thumbsup: . Lulu eats, rather than plays with, the tinned stuff - so that's the only fish I feed now.

• 2 weeks later...