Milk

Arley

Just a quick question.. I keep hearing that it is bad to give ur puppy the same milk as we drink that its bad for them. and Arley loves her Milk in the morning? is this true i have being giving it to her for over 2 weeks and no effects.

I've always been led to believe Cows milk isn't good for little tummies .. (canine or human) .. and as such don't ever give my dogs Cows milk.

We opt for Di-Vetelac or BioLac for our guys when young and then later on give them Goats milk as a treat. There are plenty more experienced/qualified people here to give you advice in this area so will be good to see their responses.

ETA: my human kids were also bottle fed & raised on commercial formulas or goats milk until they were old enough to tolerate cows milk.

Edited by HuntinHound

some dogs don't tolerate milk well, from memory don't produce lactase to digest lactose,

however - our dogs have always had goat or cows milk, we used to live near a goat dairy and they feasted on raw goats milk, and over the last eight years, a neighbour sells us his exess raw cows milk in large amounts very cheaply. (yes I know....raw.... :thumbsup: but we've never had a problem, come to think of it, neither have we since we drink it too !!)

our dogs still have a warm milk supper - even the older one's.

If they dogs have it from an early age, and digest well, I don't see a problem.

fifi

I wouldn't be giving cows milk...

Try natural yoghurt... I give this to my pup and it is really good for their tummies and puts good bacteria in there...

I get a natural organic full fat 1kg tub that lasts nearly 2 weeks for about $5

I think that cows milk might give them an upset tummy....

I've been advised by more than one vet that the only drink a person should offer a dog or pup is water. In cases of severe dehydration where an IV fluid line is not required (or before making the decision to administer fluids via IV lines), then it's quite OK to offer water that has some electrolyte solution added. I also add ice cubes to my dogs' water bowls in hot weather. :thumbsup:

Dogs and pups are just like people - not designed to digest lactose! Cows milk should be reserved for...cows! ;) If you feel you simply must give your pup milk, then please obtain the powder from your vet and make up as per the directions. But it's really not necessary and IMO a complete waste of money. ;)

Guest Piximatosis

My dogs have goat's milk on a regular basis. They love it and have no problems with it!

The only reason they don't have cow's milk is that it upsets my own tummy so I don't buy it. :thumbsup:

When pups are small, they are able to digest cow's milk, which contains lactose, because they have "lactase" which enables them to digest it.

If they grow to adulthood without having any more milk, there is a good chance they will not be able to digest it, as they do not manufacture lactase. If you keep feeding milk, they are always able to digest it.

I feel ALL my puppies cows' milk, and I sometimes feed my adult dogs cows' milk. I ALWAYS feed pregnant bitches and lactating bitches cows milk. Contains calcium, and is very good for them + they are happy to drink it, pre-whelping and post whelping, when they may not be willing to eat "solid" food.

The extensive diet chart which goes home with one of my pups contains a recommendation to feed the pup cows milk - nearly all owners do, without problems.

I was feeding dogs cows milk before "puppy milk" was invented - and I still do. It is a very rare dog which is milk intolerant, and if a dog is, you know straight away.

If your pup likes milk, keep feeding him on it, don't worry about buying puppy milk, with is more expensive, and is no better IMHO. There is no reason not to.

I think it is worth keeping them on cows milk - there is usually a time when it comes in handy - if the dog is recovering from an illness, or is in poor condition, it is an excellent "building" food, and you can add things to it to bulk it up (ie, cooked rolled oats, eggs etc) to put condition on. And, it is a food by itself.

There are thousands of breeders out there feeding cows milk in a regular basis, without any problems.

If you keep feeding him milk, he will always be able to digest it.

I guess it depends on whether your dog can handle cows milk. My breeder told me

to give my border Biolac and he loved it but stopped drinking it after 4 mths and

now its only water. I didn't even think to give him cows milk. I guess my way of

thinking was he's only a puppy and like with human babies, cows milk might be too

strong and upset his tummy.

But every dog is different and can handle certain things diffferently.

If your baby likes cows milk and has no issues, keep going with it.

My 7 kids and all my dogs have been raised with cows milk - raw - we always had a cow and never had a problem with either the kids or dogs. This was years ago before we were told all the dreadful things that might happen - ignorance is bliss!

Ollie used to drink cows milk and then went off it when he was about 2, preferring my soy milk..

Now he has decided that he likes cows milk again and as long as it does not upset his tummy and give him the runs - he can have a small bowl most mornings...

There are some things that are downright dangerous for our pooches and there are some things that can be OK in moderation - remembering that like us, they are all different...

Cheers

Jodie

My 5 month old lab just LOVES milk, but I only give it to him occasionally as a treat. I've also heard the theory about cow's milk, so instead of buying the expensive puppy milk, I buy 'Laddell's Lactose Free Milk', it is much cheaper and he loves it just as much. You can find it in the long life milk section of the supermarket (it has cows in a green paddock on the front). :laugh: Hope it helps!

• 3 weeks later...

We just got our boy today! The breeder has been feeding Advance Rehydratable Puppy soaked in some warm water and yoghurt for breakfast. Rehydratable with rice and canned food for lunch.

Rehydratable iwth either canned food or meat of choice. then for supper some puppy milk and raw each 3 times a week.

All of the above has been written down for us but I didn't get a chance to go thru it before we left...

I can't find on the packet of Advance Rehydrateable how much to give over a day - Bronson is a male Lab.

Where do you get puppy milk from - is it a powdered form?

Where do you get Natures Gift canned food - vets?

And how much yoghurt is enough to add to the morning meal?

I am a nervous first time parent!

Edited by rooster78