Plastic Milk Bottles And Containers

bark

Hi All,

I often give my dog some soft plastic milk containers or the pasta containers to play with and strawberry containers with treats in them to occupy him whilst I'm at work . He loves running around with them and biting them, especially around the handle. He will bite bits off but doesn't eat it.

Does anyone know if the plastic will cause any harm to his teeth eg make them blunt or wear them down excessively ?

Hi All,

I often give my dog some soft plastic milk containers or the pasta containers to play with and strawberry containers with treats in them to occupy him whilst I'm at work . He loves running around with them and biting them, especially around the handle. He will bite bits off but doesn't eat it.

Does anyone know if the plastic will cause any harm to his teeth eg make them blunt or wear them down excessively ?

I understand the need to keep your dog occupied and I don't think they'd hurt the teeth, but I would be concerned about the dog swallowing any small part that has broken off, or something getting lodged in your dog's throat.

I understand the need to keep your dog occupied and I don't think they'd hurt the teeth, but I would be concerned about the dog swallowing any small part that has broken off, or something getting lodged in your dog's throat.

You're right Emmark, I now replace the containers before my dog is able to break bits off it to avoid that problem

I guess they're cheaper than Buster Cubes or Kongs...but how much is your dog worth to you? :thumbsup:

These sorts of things are OK in a pinch, but why not splash out and buy your dog some safer toys to perform the same functions as these bottles (that is, dispensing food or treats)? A kong can last a year if it's looked after, a Buster Cube is pretty much a "forever toy" as they're hard to destroy. :D

JMO. :(

Great toys, but definately must be removed before overly recycled. My dog's have a specific order in which to destroy a bottle. Chew the lid off first, then the lid ring, next rip off label, then chew bottle flat and ta-da, it's no longer interesting. :thumbsup:

My dog's don't seem to have had any issues with feeling unworthy either. :D

My dog's don't seem to have had any issues with feeling unworthy either. :D

I was referring to the impact of a dog losing its life or being seriously injured due to one of these make-shift toys breaking up into sharp pieces, and either getting caught on the way through or tearing or impacting in the bowel. :thumbsup:

lillysmum

My dog has kongs, nylabones, a variety of rope toys, plus other dog specific toys but none of them are as interesting or appealing as a milk container with lid, ring and label removed. Of course we value our dog which is why I posted the question.

lillysmum

My dog has kongs, nylabones, a variety of rope toys, plus other dog specific toys but none of them are as interesting or appealing as a milk container with lid, ring and label removed. Of course we value our dog which is why I posted the question.

That's great! :)

Perhaps you could try stuffing the kong with treats such as biscuits and peanut butter, or chicken parts and freeze? My dogs love these kongs the best. :p

The point to these types of things is that they're interactive and provide the dog with stimulating activity plus reward (food) for their troubles. :hug: Dogs are busy with their brains AND bodies...makes for a happy and tired dog. :rofl:

Jonty loves empty soft drink bottles (the round ones) cos he loves chasing them all over the floor (polished wood). He has never chewed one up yet, although that could be because of the size of them & the fact that he'd find it hard to get them in his mouth comfortably :) .

Jarrah just picks them up & brings them to you for you to throw - like he does with anything that isnt nailed down & he can get in his mouth :hug: :p .

I've used empty plastic bottle for years for many dogs and pups. When we had a recycling crate I used to leave it on the ground and the dog/s could pick out the bottle they liked best. I do remove the lid and ring before giving them to the dog/s and remove from play when suitably squashed! I've never put food inside, the dogs love them like they are.

Guess it depends on what your dog gets out of the bottle....chewing, or noise factor (which is what mine likes about them, and my parents 6 GSD's did) It's always been empty soft drink bottles, no labels, lids, rings...and occassionally, with a little frozen water...for added loudness factor. As to expensive toys compared with empty, rinsed out soft drink bottles? my kids always loved the wrappings, boxes, when they were little too ;)