Best Food For Rottweiler Puppy

SkylineGTR

Not Supercoat :laugh:

Supercoat is a very cheap food and you can do a LOT better :D

If you can afford to perhaps look into a super premium dry food, such as Royal Canin (giant breed puppy), Nutro or Eaglepack. I would be feeding Nutro or Royal Canin if I could afford to.

You may also want to feed your puppy a raw diet, called BARF (bones and raw food). Use the search function here to find many, many threads on this diet.

Personally, I wont raise a puppy on BARF, I've heard good and bad. Everybody is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs and I would certainly not think anything negative if someone chose to raise their puppy on BARF, it's just not for me and my pups...as adults, yes that's fine.

whatever you do introduce it SLOWLY

or itll be poop and vomit everywhere.

Give chicken necks, wings, lamb flaps as a snack or lunchtime meal. Its great for their teeth and keeps them busy (and away from other things to munch on hehehehe) There is the Baiada chicken factory in Laverton North, you can buy things in bulk for cheap and freeze it.

A good dry food is Eagle Pack and Nutro is great, both of mine are on it, but once again, start the process gradually. Mix a little of the new dry food in with the old and make the change over a couple of weeks.

ETA ... dammit Skyline where are the photos!

Edited by Nekhbet

Ah, Skyline, you might have opened a can of worms with this question. We all have different ideas and swear by them. Ultimately it is your decision what you feed, don't get too confused. :laugh:

I do not use puppy dry food, only adult. The reason, I want to slow the growth down. My male dog was weaned and raised on Bonnie adult. He is a fit and healthy dog, he is nearly 8 years old and still in the show ring. I find some puppy dryfoods, encourage growth and as a Rottweiler grows unbelievably fast, I wish to slow this rapid growth down a bit so there is not too much stress on joints and ligaments.

So long as your pup is not overweight and is healthy I am sure your breeder has him on a dryfood that suits him. I also feed fresh raw beef and chicken. Dog biscuits, and raw meaty bones. Every now and then I mince up raw veges and fruit and add them to their diet. I also feed pups yoghurt, cottage cheese and tasty grated cheese. These I use for their natural calcium content. They also get pasta when I can be bothered cooking it for them. A nice rounded diet.

whatever you do introduce it SLOWLY

or itll be poop and vomit everywhere.

Give chicken necks, wings, lamb flaps as a snack or lunchtime meal. Its great for their teeth and keeps them busy (and away from other things to munch on hehehehe) There is the Baiada chicken factory in Laverton North, you can buy things in bulk for cheap and freeze it.

A good dry food is Eagle Pack and Nutro is great, both of mine are on it, but once again, start the process gradually. Mix a little of the new dry food in with the old and make the change over a couple of weeks.

ETA ... dammit Skyline where are the photos!

Photos are in the photos section and rotty thread. lol

Thanks for the advise guys, will swith the food over once this bag is done!

I like Pro Plan large breed Puppy

I find its about $100 a 17kilo bag but when you add up the coast of some smaller cheap bags from the supermarket its about the same cost dollar to dollar

I have to feed less, one puppy food I read said 9 cups a day OMG

I find Pro Plan has smaller harder poo the dogs are great and shiney and have energy to burn, their eyes are bright and teeth clean

Its a complete food so I dont have to add anything

There is a thread on supercoat somewhere, I am not a big fan of it myself.

Waste of money I feel as I see so much of it as poop on my lawn.

The best food for your pup is what it does well one

If you contact a few doggies food companies you might get free of discounted trail bags

there is a fantastic pet supplies store which i think is on your side of town?

it is run by Sagitarrian who also comes here, those guys have an excellent range of foods and other stuff, and are very knowledgable in regards to food,

you can spend time in there chatting to them about the whole food thing,

and take SkylineGTR puppy with you, they would love to meet the little many :p

BRB with the details for the store

ok it is 4paws and more pet supplies

Unit 2, 60 Keilor Park Drive, Keilor Park 3042

Tel: 9331 7869 Fax: 9331 7823

good luck with it all,

there are so many things involved with have a dog aren't there ?!?!? lol

and of course you want only the best for them :)

Edited by oonga

Whatever you decide to feed your puppy have a careful look at the ingredients list and the guaranteed anaylsis as it is important to know what you are feeding.

We have been feeding Nutro Natural Choice for over 6 years and are very pleased with the condition our dogs are in. Soft shiny coats, no skin problems, energy levels are high, less stool content (we have 5) and nicely formed stools. :p Nutro has no chmeical preservatives, no corn, no by-products and no added colourants.

We have been feeding Nutro Natural Choice for over 6 years and are very pleased with the condition our dogs are in. Soft shiny coats, no skin problems, energy levels are high, less stool content (we have 5) and nicely formed stools. :laugh: Nutro has no chmeical preservatives, no corn, no by-products and no added colourants.

Don't know what's in that Nutro, but my girl has been unbearable in the evenings to be around since she started on it. Fruit and vegie farts are far more tolerable!

And my boy justs turns up his nose at it and says "where's my chicken wing?" ;)

Hey guys,

He doesn't like eating too much biscuits.

What meats can I feed him?

he likes chicken wings, but can I mix chicken mince with his biscuits?

Or some other meat? Should i cook it or not?

Put simply, what should I feed him besides the dog biscuits?

Thanks!

Did you not get a diet sheet from the breeder

stating all that they feed from 8 weeks of age up to say 6 to 12 months old ..

as Kiash said all of us dog owners feed different.. :rofl:

feed Raw foods preferably than cooked

chicken mince, beef, offal , blended vegs, fruit , sadines in oil,

natural youghurt. cottage cheese ... ( all with in moderation)

turkey necks, chicken carcass, roo tail,

just feed what you are comfortable with and what puppy will eat

try to get you hands on some BARF Books .. Raw Meaty Bones by Tom Lonsdale

Dr Ian Billhurst "Give your Dog A Bone" and another he has "Grow your Pups with Bones.

or you can buy already made BARF Patties..

http://www.barfworld.com/html/dr_billinghurst/meet.shtml

so much to read and can be overpowering but you will work it out :rofl:

Go with what Griff said

My guys would prefer not to eat the dry food, but I mixed things like sardines in oil, or yoghurt in.

Mince roo meat, of chicken mince, make sure it is raw

If you breeder has been feeding one food and you would like to swap foods make sure you do it slowly so not to upset your puppies tummy

I dont feed barf because I am to busy or to lazy, which ever way you wish to look at it.

But I do add raw meat and bones and other goodies to the dry food to make it more intresting

Hey guys,

He doesn't like eating too much biscuits.

What meats can I feed him?

he likes chicken wings, but can I mix chicken mince with his biscuits?

Or some other meat? Should i cook it or not?

Put simply, what should I feed him besides the dog biscuits?

Thanks!

Alot of my rescued rotti pups are fussy bums for the first week or two, but mine are all on raw chicken bones and either raw chicken mince that I mix with dry or I cook up with rice & veges. I often cut up an apple or raw carrot and they are happy to run down the yard with a piece and chew on it. I give them rice and sardines in oil once a week and try to do egg once a week but can be slack.

What kibble are you feeding? If it's a super premium kibble then he probably wont eat much because he wont need to. You need far less of a really good kibble than you would a cheaper kind. Super premium foods are also a complete diet, you do not need to add things to them.

If you do feed meat don't cook it, you're getting rid of a lot of the goodness in it...wolves don't go around cooking their dinner :eek:

I wouldn't feed kangaroo meat to a puppy, too low in fat, stick with beef/lamb/chicken :laugh:

Toohey, dont know why your girl would be having fart problems with Nutro, unless you are feeding something else, none of ours have fart problems, and given that we have 5 of them all of whom are house dogs and all of whom sleep on the bed no doubt if we did have those sorts of problems we would be the ones who would have to evacuate in a hurry :laugh:

Toohey, dont know why your girl would be having fart problems with Nutro, unless you are feeding something else, none of ours have fart problems, and given that we have 5 of them all of whom are house dogs and all of whom sleep on the bed no doubt if we did have those sorts of problems we would be the ones who would have to evacuate in a hurry :rofl:

No, I was not feeding anything else. Have taken them off it now and put them back on their preferred natural diet. We are all MUCH happier.

I would try to use the dry food as a backup instead, slowly introducing a more natural diet. This is even more important for large breeds such as a rotty. You may not see much benefit immediately but many argue that this is an effective preventative diet for the myriad of issues that plague large older dogs.

Meaty lamb and chicken bones are usually a big favourite NOT COOKED.