What My Vet Said About Fleas

ruthless

This thread's pretty old. Our current routine is Permoxin the dogs frequently and we also spray the garden every couple of weeks. I think we'll give them a Sentinel once or twice a year as well from now on though.

Sentinel needs to be given monthly continually to be effective. It is also monthly heartworm protection so don't double up!

• Thanks 1

This is the flea season and its pretty bad this year.

For starters, Frontline doesnt seem to work anymore. We dont even stock it at the salon because we had so many complaints. I would recommend Advantage for the top spot.

Give Angel a flea bath (really good lather up and make sure you cover her head to tail) and 24 later put on the Advantage top spot. While she is in the bath soaking (flea treatments in the bath must be left on for usually 10 mins) wash ALL her bedding and spray down anything she might sleep on that is not washable (eg the couches) with a flea spray (can usually buy something suitable at the supermarket).

Hopefully that should fix the problem. If not, then you might have a breeding ground in your yard (fleas breed in sandy areas), and you will need to get an outdoor spray.

:)

I use it still but you have to use it correctly - make sure that you get skin contact, between the shoulder blades, and that the dog stays completely dry for 24hrs. You also need to be using the right dosage for the right weight - its better to be a little over than under.

I use it because when I show I don't need to worry about it being affected by baths and grooming products, like the other spot on's do.

Oh, and the best results I've had are with a little bit of garlic in the chook mince that I feed my lot - the garlic seems to deter to fleas. Don't overdo it though!

Hi,

We found 2 fleas on Angel this morn. She's been scratching like crazy for the last week but we didn't know why till today. She's scratched herself raw in places. I rang the vets and they said to wash all the dogs tonight with their normal shampoo and treat with spray on frontline tomorrow or the next day and wash all their bedding and hoover the house. I told him she gets Sentinel at the start of every month and he said that's not enough as it only sterilizes the eggs. He said we should use that and topical Advantage. Either all year round, but especially in the hotter months.

We're in Sydney and they don't hang out with other dogs very often, so I don't know where they could've come from. What's everyone elses flea routine?

Comfortis will work a treat

Vaccum like crazy and wash bedding if you have an infestation. I heard vinegar spray in the yard will help too.

10% of the fleas are on the dog 90% in the house. They could have sprung in to your backyard quite easily.

• 3 months later...

as a vet nurse my favourite product for flea problems is 'comfortis' this is really good for dogs who have allergies or really sensitive skin as its a chewy once a month. Internal tablets will help with less reactions as there isn't any topical spot on going through the skin. as for worms and heartworm you can continue using sentinel as extra (double flea treatment wont hurt) you can change to interceptor instead ( same brand of sentinel) but this will only do heart worm and intestinal worms. with these two products you WONT EVER have a problem with fleas... you need to treat every pet in the home.

With treating the environment that is useless.. BUT the environment is more of the problem not the pet. 5% of fleas are on the pets the rest is inside/outside. If the pets are on flea treatment they are the treatment for the environment. when the fleas hatch they will jump on and die. treat your dogs as if they have to go outside to pick up the fleas. They can lay dormant in the environment for up to 6months so don't forget treatments or you back at square one. washing your pets wont remove any fleas ! thats very hard. as long as your on a good product your fine.. with sentinel because it only sterilises the eggs and doesn't kill the flea you need to use 'capstar' with it, this will kill any fleas on the animal within 20 min but is only short term.

goodluck.

• 2 weeks later...
After each wash I would rinse the dog with Permoxin. I would also treat the area, bomb your car and so on. Once the Malaseb washes finish I would continue with the top spot each fortnight until summer ends.

Be cautious with Permoxin. It is a nerve poison, and will put some dogs into horrible seizures. I almost lost a girl after using a permoxin-based spot-on flea and tick medicine. I used it on two dogs. The one licked the other and bingo, the 'do not ingest' medicine got injested. She has had recurrent seizures thereafter and is now on phenobarbitol to prevent seizures.

You need to exercise caution with any pesticide/flea prevention - unfortunately though, these are the products necessary to get rid of a flea problem.

I, thankfully, haven't had a problem with Permoxin (or Advantix) and have used it for many years on my own dogs and in my salon. I'm sure some people have though.

You need to exercise caution with any pesticide/flea prevention - unfortunately though, these are the products necessary to get rid of a flea problem.

I, thankfully, haven't had a problem with Permoxin (or Advantix) and have used it for many years on my own dogs and in my salon. I'm sure some people have though.

Biggest problem I know of with Advantix is that it can be lethal to cats. I'd not recommend it for any dog/cat households - if the cat brushes against the dog or licks it, it can be bye bye kitty. :(

It's not quite that easy. You simply need to separate them for the first 24-48 hours, same with Permoxin until it binds.

I know plenty of dog/cat households who use it with no problems.

I used it for years without issue until I stupidly applied Advantix to one of my cats as a top spot. :(

Edited by Clyde

• 2 weeks later...

Biggest problem I know of with Advantix is that it can be lethal to cats. I'd not recommend it for any dog/cat households - if the cat brushes against the dog or licks it, it can be bye bye kitty. :(

I actually didnt know that!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

We found 2 fleas on Angel this morn. She's been scratching like crazy for the last week but we didn't know why till today. She's scratched herself raw in places. I rang the vets and they said to wash all the dogs tonight with their normal shampoo and treat with spray on frontline tomorrow or the next day and wash all their bedding and hoover the house. I told him she gets Sentinel at the start of every month and he said that's not enough as it only sterilizes the eggs. He said we should use that and topical Advantage. Either all year round, but especially in the hotter months.

We're in Sydney and they don't hang out with other dogs very often, so I don't know where they could've come from. What's everyone elses flea routine?

hi flees live in sandy soil and jump on animals for a blood feed

Hi,

• 4 months later...

I picked up two boys from the pound 3 weeks ago. They were initially treated with Advantix (as they had ticks and fleas) the first week they were here.

We have an 18 month old Kelpie cross (foster boy) and a 7 month old staffy (our lad).

I also treated their bedding by washing in hot water and then sprinkling some flea powder on it before putting it back in their crates.

They were desexed a week ago today so they can't be bathed yet (10 days apparently).

They are still scratching - how long it before I can treat them again?

The packet I have here says 4 weeks between treatments.

We normally don't have fleas but of late I take my GSD for a walk at a forrest and I believe he managed to pick up a few fleas.

A few weeks ago we noticed our rottie was starting to scratch and I noticed a small red "scrap" on his lower back. Because he had a fall a few days before we initially put the redness down to his accident.

A few days later we found fleas :banghead:

Both dogs were washed in a the hydrobath using a flea/tick rinse (Fido's Itch Free Rinse or something like that). We then treated the yard with the wash water and malawash. We have basically drenched the yard every week - particularly the "holes" and the favourite sleeping places.

About a week later we bathed them again. Last weekend I treated them both with Advantix and they will both get another bath this weekend.

Normally we don't get fleas but because one dogs leaves the yard more then the other we will continue to treat him with Advantix - that way he won't bring anything home.

We used to alway use Frontline but have found that for some reason it doesn't seem to work as well as it used to. Some vets even recommend the use of a flea collar over some of the other methods.

Malawash and Fidos rinse are usually our preferred method.

That happened to me aswell with the frontline. I thought the fleas must of become immune to it. :confused:

I changed to advocate and the dogs haven't had any problems with flea's since.

I picked up two boys from the pound 3 weeks ago. They were initially treated with Advantix (as they had ticks and fleas) the first week they were here.

We have an 18 month old Kelpie cross (foster boy) and a 7 month old staffy (our lad).

I also treated their bedding by washing in hot water and then sprinkling some flea powder on it before putting it back in their crates.

They were desexed a week ago today so they can't be bathed yet (10 days apparently).

I'd suggest trying them on Comfortis. It's worked brilliantly for my two and the fleas disappeared within a day. It's not until now (just over a month later because I forgot their dose) that I've had flea issues again.

And because it's a tablet there's no having to play "guess the weather" every 10 minutes as it's been so unpredictable in my area lately. And that's my main issue with spot ons -- the need to keep the animal dry for 48 hours after it's been administered. How do you tell dogs who love to run around in the rain "sorry guys, you can't get wet for two days"? :mad

I'd suggest trying them on Comfortis. It's worked brilliantly for my two and the fleas disappeared within a day. It's not until now (just over a month later because I forgot their dose) that I've had flea issues again.

And because it's a tablet there's no having to play "guess the weather" every 10 minutes as it's been so unpredictable in my area lately. And that's my main issue with spot ons -- the need to keep the animal dry for 48 hours after it's been administered. How do you tell dogs who love to run around in the rain "sorry guys, you can't get wet for two days"? :mad

Comfortis only does adult fleas and has vomiting side effects and serious warnings for animals that have had ever had seizures, and it not suited for concurrent use with ivermectin. It doesnt do anything with eggs or environmental fleas or larvae.

Advantix, Advocate and Advantage are completly waterfast. The animal must ONLY BE DRY AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION. Once applied, within 1 hour the treatment is safely in the lipid layer of skin which is waterfast. they can go swimming, and go out in the rain with no detrimental affect to the products efficacy for the full one month.

You may bath the dog, preferably after 72 hours of treatment, and preferably with a soap free shampoo. There is no point using a flea shampoo.

Advantage, advocate and advantix are 100% effective for fleas ect for the full one month and 98% for paralysis ticks (fortnightly). Daily checking for paralysis ticks is highly recommended.

When fleas jump on the dog (treated with these products) they are killed within 3 - 5 minutes and are killed by contact with the hair or skin and do not get a chance to bite the dog. You may see fleas on a treated dog at any time BUT these fleas are in the processes of dying and will be paralysed almost immediatly.

With Frontline, Comfortis, Sentinel, ect ect ect the fleas still bite your animal to receive a dose as these products cross over to the bloodstream of your pet. the A Family products are in the lipid layer of skin and kill on contact before the flea bites.

If your pets are scratching still I would recommend you use advocate, this treats (among many other things) Demodex and sarcoptic mange mites and could be the cause of your dogs scratching. Advocate does intestinal worms, heartworm, fleas, demodex, sarcoptics, ear mites ect ect ect. Advantix does flies, mozzies, fleas, ticks and paralysis ticks, etc. and is perfectly safe to use on dogs (not suited for use on cats) and in households where cats reside with dogs. You must separate the dog and the cat at the time of application to the dog for approx 4 hours while the product disseminates throughout the lipid layer of skin on the dog But then the cat is perfectly safe to live with the dog wearing advantix. It can cuddle lick and kiss the dog till its heart is content SAFELY.

Cats cannot metabolize PERMETHRINS. and as such no permethrin products are suited for cats.

Thanks but it is just fleas.

I have cleaned their bedding and upon the vets advice we have dosed both of them with comfortis today.

Hopefully that will work.

I washed all the bedding again today in hit water and then put it through the clothes dryer.

Edited by Staffyluv

I guess the thing I find annoying with all these treatments is that you need to just about use all of them in order to have an effective control of all bugs.

I'm paranoid about ticks which is why I chose Frontline, however, I'm thinking it might be more beneficial to look into Advantage (for mite control). It doesn't do ticks though and I'm still unsure about Advantix as I have a cat. I just don't trust that she won't be hurt by it -- I'm just paranoid like that.

Just to throw the question ouf there: can you use both Advantage and Advantix at the same time? My old Aussie Poochie had sarcoptic mites and didn't have an immune system able to fight them off so every year she'd break out. I guess I'm wanting to protect my current dogs from this while still being tick protected.

Or is this just overkill?

I guess the thing I find annoying with all these treatments is that you need to just about use all of them in order to have an effective control of all bugs.

I'm paranoid about ticks which is why I chose Frontline, however, I'm thinking it might be more beneficial to look into Advantage (for mite control). It doesn't do ticks though and I'm still unsure about Advantix as I have a cat. I just don't trust that she won't be hurt by it -- I'm just paranoid like that.

Just to throw the question ouf there: can you use both Advantage and Advantix at the same time? My old Aussie Poochie had sarcoptic mites and didn't have an immune system able to fight them off so every year she'd break out. I guess I'm wanting to protect my current dogs from this while still being tick protected.

Or is this just overkill?

For Mites you should use ADVOCATE. You can use this with (apply at the same time) ADVANTIX for the tick control.

With regard to cats and dogs with advantix. The dog and cat should be separated at the time of application ONLY> when the product has dried on the dog (approx 2 hours) they can then be together with absolutely no ill effects whatsoever. The product ingredients ie in advantix are (Imidicloprid which is suited for cats) and Permethrin (which is UNSUITABLE FOR APPLICATION TO CATS). Cats cannot metabolize permethrins at all. Cats living with dogs wearing advantix are safe and millions of them do worldwide.

Once the product is disseminated throughout the dogs coat (it remains hidden in the lipid layer of skin) it is safe for cats living with dogs with NO ILL EFFECTS on the cat.

Advantage is for fleas and Lice.

Advocate is for Fleas, Heartworm, Intestinal Worms, (all stages incl larval stages and hatchlings) Ear mites, lice etc and unlike all other wormers available this one kills accumulated worms then PROTECTS against getting any new worms, sarcoptic mange mites, demodectic mange mites,

Advantix does Paralysis ticks, ticks, fleas, flies, mosquitoes, Stable flies, biting insects, sand flies, ect and is the ONLY PRODUCT WITH A REGISTERED CLAIM FOR KILLING AND MORE IMPORTANTLY REPELLING ALL OF THESE Parasites. It also has the highest efficacy rates of 100% for everything except paralysis ticks being 98%. Frontline sits at just 57% efficacy.

The safety margins in these products is very wide and it is safe to use 2 products at the same time. it is not overkill.

There would be no point using advantage with the advocate or advantix though because it has the same base ingredient of imidicloprid that all the a family products have.

for more info go to www.bayeranimal.com.au and search Product information and technical data sheets.

• 2 weeks later...

ONLY AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION. Separate cat and dog at the time of application for approx 4 - 6 hours After that time the product is perfectly safe for cats living with dogs wearing Advantix. They can curl up together lick groom cuddle ect With no risk at all. The product cannot be applied to the cat. Cats cannot metabolize Permethrins whatsoever. Once the product is dry on the dog and safely in the lipid layer of skin there is no risk to cats at all.

• 1 month later...

I used to recommend Advantage because when it 1st came out, I put it on my FAD border collie & she never had a flea again. As of the last 4 years & my present border & new Japanese Spitz & our mixed breed dog that doesn't seem to be bothered with fleas I have applied Advantage to all the dogs & the 2 younger dogs are still scratching & have fleas.

Yesterday my cousin says he uses Comfortis on his dog & he hasn't had a flea problem. When I 1st heard about Comfortis a couple of years ago I had heard it can be dangerous for some dogs so was reluctant to use it. Those who use it, does it really work? & have your dogs had a problem with it or have you heard what the problem is with it?