Always Getting Dirty Puppy!

kayangel

i have a 8 week old staffy pup who goes outside everyday and gets dirty she will go outside and dig or find some way of getting dirty... i have bathed her everyday the last 3 days i know it bad to bath so often but i cant have a dirty yucky smelly pup in the house and sleeping with me!! HELP!! how can i stop her getting dirty or anything i can get to clean her without bathing i dont want to wreack her lovely black puppy coat!

Do you have a grassed area,

What you could do is try and keep her contained to an area where there is no dirt whilst she is out doors.

My 3 GSD's sleep with me on and off during the night and they go outside a lot because they leave dirt trails behind wherever they have been laying I just vacumn.

Or keep a chamois handy and wipe her down before she comes back in.

But dogs will be dogs :eek:

Stop washing her that often. She's a pup, moreover she's a staffy - this is what they do! If you can't bear to just brush the dirt out when she's dry then wipe her over with a wet cloth when the dirt is still wet. Honestly, I think you're worrying a bit too much. Let her be a puppy. If you don't like her rolling in dirt then give her something to play with or designate an area for her to dig like a sandpit.

And, speaking from personal experience, don't have the babe sleeping with you on the bed. Trust me, when she's 1 she'll be kicking you out of bed.

A damp cloth should get the dirt off as Staffies have such short coats. My yard is mostly dirt at the moment and only some grass, and the dogs have been known to get rather dusty. If they are coming in or we are going somewhere and they are dirty I wipe them down with a damp cloth, no problem. They get a bath about once a month.

my 12 week Staffy gets covered in all sorts of crap and I mean all sorts, we have a good size backyard and he comes to my boatshed each day for work. I usually just wipe him down, If he is really bad I dunk him in one of those plastic 60l tubs filled with water, not over his head just up to his tummy and use my hand to rinse the water over him. But this only due to the work dust, the back yard crap just falls off him with wipe of my hand. I have given him a full wash twice in 4 weeks. I am aiming for once every 4-6 weeks.

I also made him sit in a semi crate (no lid) for the first hour of him being home(totally ignored him for the hour), he carried on like a banshee but now he loves his corner of the house. He knows it is his spot. He slept right through the night after the second night.

Our little Puli puppy loves the dirt, there's nothing more fun to him than rolling around in dirt right now. But we don't mind he's a pup he should be able to have fun. We just give him a good rub down and shake the dirt out of his fur, the amount of dirt that comes flying off him :D and he loves the rub down! Yesterday he rolled in some mud so we took him into the bathroom and just rinsed the muddy areas. Didn't use any shampoos and dried him thoroughly. Any remaining dirt we "shook out" when he dried.

Be careful with bathing him too regularly, his skin is pretty fragile and you will drain all the natural oils if you bathe him too regularly. I'd suggest trying some doggy wipes and brushing/rubbing out the dirt.

-Elise

might be a good idea to get her crate trained - it is better all round, it will only take a few nights, then she will get the hang - i also like kaos in bed with me, but every now and then she gets crated.

Just incase something happens and i cant be home for her, also to help her feel ok in the crate, for car trips and what not - get her in the crate, then let her out every now and then to sleep with you.

Puppys are puppys, they dont stay clean, i had someone tell me off today because kaos was playing with another dog and got vcovered in dirt - told me she was now filthy, i really dont care, rahter have a dirty, happy dog, then one that isnt allowd to have fun and must stay clean!

You'll have to crate train her for shows anyway!

Can you just wipe her with baby wipes when she's dirty, staffords don't hold much dirt on them cos their coats are so short, most of it will brush out then wipe with baby wipes to get any dust off

Too much washing will make her really scurfy cos it will dry out her skin too much

Ed doesn't like dirt much! :hug:

DSC00029.jpg

Eddie5months016.jpg

what about a play pen for out side or fence of the dirt area!!!

but seriously you should consider crate training!!! it wont take that long and it will help you as your dog grows!!!a puppy on a bed is cute but once they get bigger it can cause problems!!! it can make training in general harder as they will consider them equal to you or above you in the family pack!!!

and even thou its been said try not to wash ya dog that often it will strip their coat something shocking if you have to do it only do it weekly but if it were me it would only be getting monthly washs...or fortnightly if really needed!!!

Pups will be pups :hug:. Our 3 month old JRT loves nothing more than to wrestle in the dirt, then hop into the clam shell for a splash around (Filled with leftover doggy drinking water :rofl: )...makes for a nice muddy puppy, but atleast he is having fun.

What is dirt for if not for digging in :D ?

I run a boarding kennel and find that concrete -- everywhere -- is the most successful way to stop digging. Grid mesh over specific areas will keep them from digging at that area, but they generally just go to the edge of the grid mesh and commence digging. For my own dogs, I've moved into a bunk bed. I get the [sand free] top bunk and they are free to demolish the lower bunk.