Smelly Meat

I buy chicken necks (they have already been frozen at the butchers), bring them home and stick them in the fridge. 1 - 2 days later they absolutely reek. :laugh:

Is it safe to refreeze the chicken necks? I mean they are frozen when the butchers get them & they sell them (defrosted to me)...so can I re-freeze them? Or not? :rofl::

Toohey,yes we have a Backhoe we use to bury the Dogs Food.We leave it for at least Three days to mature then dig it up.People ask why the Front Paddock is so rough and bumpy not realising its where I bury all the Dog"s Food.

Toohey,a stupid comment deserves a stupid answer!!!! Tony

i freeze all my barf mix and frames in single day lots once a month, and i take them out 2 days at a time to put in the fridge

Mine also love frozen meat

But then they love all food no matter what :laugh:

Oh except for olives as I found out! I dropped a pitted kalamata and Ed picked it up, chewed once then spat it out!

Edited by shoemonster

I must cause if i'm a bit iffy about the ham i'm about to put on my sandwich i offer it to my dogs - if they don't eat it i don't eat it.

Dogs are designed to be able to eat raw meat that has gone off - that is so that they can bury meat for later if they have too much to eat at once. It is a survival mechanism - not pretty, but doable.

Cooked meat that has gone off is highly toxic, and can cause food poisoning in dogs as easily as it can in people. Your dogs are simply being sensible refusing off ham, and obeying their instincts on food safety.

Is it safe to refreeze the chicken necks? I mean they are frozen when the butchers get them & they sell them (defrosted to me)...so can I re-freeze them? Or not? :laugh::

No (though some will argue) it is not safe to thaw then refreeze meat. Thawing meat gives any exisiting and new bacteria a chance to multiply when the meat goes through what (from memory) is called a critical temperature. This is a temperature that bacteria and stuff multiply most rapidly. Refreezing limits, but not destroys the growth of this bacteria. So if you thaw, refreeze, thaw, you are effectively taking the meat through the critical temperature twice in the thawing so you end up with heaps more bacteria. That's from memory. I can dig up my food safety notes if you want more information.

My (very experienced) vet says that the canine digestive system is able to handle most kinds of 'off'. There is, however, one important exception. Puppies younger than four months have not fully developed their immune systems and Salmonella can make them very sick, if not kill them. The basis for this statement wasn't published literature, but rather, experience treating sick pups.

I find that dogs in the boarding kennel occasionally get the runs from digging up and eating a chicken carcass that someone else has buried and I haven't found, but I have never had one get seriously sick. My Labbies never let anything go off in their own yard . . . but eating things -- Gawd only knows what but they often reek :cry: -- they find in the bush doesn't seem to do them any harm.

Edited by sandgrubber

Is it safe to refreeze the chicken necks? I mean they are frozen when the butchers get them & they sell them (defrosted to me)...so can I re-freeze them? Or not? :o:

No (though some will argue) it is not safe to thaw then refreeze meat. Thawing meat gives any exisiting and new bacteria a chance to multiply when the meat goes through what (from memory) is called a critical temperature. This is a temperature that bacteria and stuff multiply most rapidly. Refreezing limits, but not destroys the growth of this bacteria. So if you thaw, refreeze, thaw, you are effectively taking the meat through the critical temperature twice in the thawing so you end up with heaps more bacteria. That's from memory. I can dig up my food safety notes if you want more information.

Ah, thanks for answering that Squeak.

I didnt think it was safe to do it, but I had heard a few people here who do it, buy in bulk, freeze it, then defrost it to make Barf etc, and then refreeze it into daily portions.

I must find an easier way to keep those chicken necks longer than 24 hours without them stinking the fridge out. :cry: