Who's Going To Croydon Trial?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ho hum.... all these promises of DOLers to go to croydon and I only saw Shoey, JulesP, Bloss and mmoo.... There were others, but I don't know their online names :).

Arya - how did you go?

They had some lovely prizes but *sobs* I didn't get my share in them!

Leo did some beautiful heeling but bombed out in the SFE and recall doing things he has never done before - he half came to me in the recall and stopped :) and also shook when I left him in the SFE so broke position :).....

Ah well there is always next time.... and apparently his heeling was great even though I felt he was a million miles behind me!

So - Leo is up for grabs - if anybody wants a pre-trained aussie - come and get 'im!

I was there with a gf....didn't know who was who though from this forum.

ho hum.... all these promises of DOLers to go to croydon and I only saw Shoey, JulesP, Bloss and mmoo.... There were others, but I don't know their online names :).

Arya - how did you go?

They had some lovely prizes but *sobs* I didn't get my share in them!

Leo did some beautiful heeling but bombed out in the SFE and recall doing things he has never done before - he half came to me in the recall and stopped :) and also shook when I left him in the SFE so broke position :).....

Ah well there is always next time.... and apparently his heeling was great even though I felt he was a million miles behind me!

So - Leo is up for grabs - if anybody wants a pre-trained aussie - come and get 'im!

:)

I was wondering how you all went. There is nothing worse than when they are at the top of their form, and your confidence is sky high, and silly little things like that happen. Thats trialli'n!

Go get e'm next time Leo!

Leopuppy: Did Arya end up competing with her Tess? (novice)

I am in the hunt for a club that trains on a Tuesday or Wednesday night now. I have just had a roster change that counts Sundays out for training.

My mum & Aunty were there. Mum bombed UD with Millie, she is trying out a new trick, she will pick up the articals, drop them and just stand there looking at mum. :) Little .........

My Aunty was sitting on her first Novice pass but Dee broke both the stays, something she has never done before. I was going to come and watch but couldn't get out of bed :)

As a newbie to trialling its interesting to hear more and more stories re: dogs doing stuff they've never, ever done before in trials.... my dog did it to me at trial no. 3 after a lovely heel pattern, and a perfect SFE. She blew the recall: lifted her butt, stuck her nose on the ground and sniffed her way towards me at a wander... then dropped about 2 metres out. Was completely gobsmacked.... was just her reminding me that she's not perfect and like me she makes mistakes :)

FWIW she redeemed herself beautifully the next day giving us her final pass for her CCD title and a 2nd on countback with 94 - but it certainly made it stressful :)

I saw a friend who got both her dogs novice titals today and she said Leo looked fantastic! She was shocked you bombed out

SS, southern's Wed nights,

LOL - who was that? A new friend of mine gained his Novice title with his ACD yesterday so I was thrilled for him as well as a fellow croydon trialler who has had a tough run in CCD as the dog just keeps doing silly mistakes he NEVER does outside the ring. They achieved their first pass yesterday and also the 'highest scoring croydon CCD member' so I am completely chuffed for them!

LOL dogdude- I can't blame anyone for Leo's errors except myself as I was a nervous wreck before we went in and I just wasn't thinking when I left him for the SFE :p. Thats life 'eh! At least I know that when his mum has her brain switched on we'll do well! I'm still proud of him none-the-less as he had to do a fig 8 around one of his very good doggy friends who always feeds him chicken (those of you who know Leo knows that he has NO manners :rofl::rofl: ).

Ness..... hmph! Not talking to you anymore! :cool: :D

Ok - so heeling is now good.... on to work with the other stuff :o

Hi all :cool: Ah, Leopuppy, don't feel too bad!!! It sounds like if you got through the heeling well you did okay. It's your first time in Novice and it sounds like well done to me!!! Wish I had been able to watch. And lots of people I talked to had bombed out. In fact, just about everyone I knew! So even though it was a lovely day it obviously just wasn't a day for a lot of passes. But I did see some really good stuff. A white shepherd who looked great, a lovely cattle dog, a rotti who did excellent heelwork in my novice ring. So great to watch others doing really well.

You couldn't possibly have done as bad as ME anyway Leo:laugh: I saw you were in Novice 1 and I was in Novice 2. I caught a glimpse of you but I had my dog with me at the time and was doing this new policy of kind of isolating us from everyone until we'd been in the ring and keeping my focus totally on the dog (had to warn my friends so they didn't think I was snobbing them off LOL). I had the perfect parking spot, the perfect ring to be near my car, the perfect weather, and the absolutely perfect work-up to going into the ring. She was the most focussed beforehand I've ever had her. Then... it all went to hell once the lead was removed. Actually, it was a disaster but not nearly as big a disaster as Southern (at least she didn't leave the ring and she did manage to get through the heeling except seemed to forget how to sit at the halt (Duh, what am I supposed to do Mum??? Oh.. yep, that's right!), and get this - when we did fast pace it was towards the gate and she was all set to run right out till I called her back!). I started off fine, the first twenty seconds good then I just lost her. Her eyes glazed over and even the judge said she looked like she had sawdust between her ears. Actually, the judge was very kind. At this point, not knowing what she was going to do, i made things ten times worse by being so nervous that my hands and feet actually went numb. RIDICULOUS! So really, I think a good part of our failure was my fault. Plus, she wasn't really being naughty. She's had a lot of problems and I think with more trial experience she'll relax and not do all this silly displacement behaviour. It does upset me though as the dog is trained to UD and can do the full excercises Novice, Open, UD and a whole tricks show anywhere else, any time but in the actual trial ring. It's my fault somewhere (sigh).

Sorry for the long rave!

Anyone else got stories about yesterday?

oh Arya - bad luck!!!!!! She sounds like quite a character! Yes the Rotti heeling was lovely - another Croydon member, and the handler had a really decisive limp too - said rottie ran straight into her knee so she wasn't walking right! Greta did excellent considering!!!!

I am sure you'll get there in the end Arya and you'll fly through - you'll just leave a breeze behind :cool:

It was the first trial that I have just watched at. Usually I have been sitting somewhere trying not to vomit! I watched some of the UD stuff and that was amazing. I don't know how I am going to train Brock to that standard. All that scent work - omg!

With Moses in CCD, at Geelong the first dog in the ring, decided to drop the heavy artilery right next to the figure of 8. I knew that Moses being the sensitive boy he is that this would cause a problem. We were last dog in. So he gets to that part of the figure of 8 and flares right out, but I think they took it into consideration. Then when we did recall, for some stupid reason, I called his name, I usually only ever call "come". But they still passed us anyway as they made an allowance, due to my stupid nerves. As soon as I said it, I cringed, knowing that I stuffed up. Also in trials I have forgotten to exit the ring the right way and have jumped over the ropes. Once in a recall during the lead up I forgot to take my dog with me. During Novice once inside the ring, I forgot to bring my dumbell in with me, but told them straight away and asked to go and get it. Oh another silly mistake I made was with the figure of 8. I was first dog in and all of the sudden the figure of 8 loomed up in front of my face, I was in shock and didn't know where to go, so walked right passed the first post and past the second and then did the figure of 8. I still managed good passes. See what nerves can do!!! The dog knows what he is doing. I also did high tens with Moses in between exercises.

Edited by CrashTestDummy

LP, my friend is Di, she has a cocker and a black standard poodle

Big day for her, she cracked open a beer straight after, well deserved I think! lol

ooh - did she have the pretty black poodle!!! That dog was sooo good :cool: :rofl:. I think she got 1st place?