Other Alternatives For A Elizabethan/bucket?

mollynme

My pup was desexed a few days ago and has to wear the elizabethan collar. She is obviously hating it and looks so miserable and sad that i'm wondering if there is another alternative? She can't scratch herself and eat properly and in the meantime bumping into everything.

Any suggestions? Or just leave it on... ? It breaks my heart seeing her like this!

they get over it ... if the dog cant eat then maybe its a bit long and needs trimming. It should be long enough the dog cant reach the stitches but can access food and water.

I would leave it on its better then herniation from tearing around like a lunatic or ripping stitches out.

Nehkbet is right - they do get over it!! The collar should allow them to eat and drink - but maybe you can take it off and supervise her while she is eating, then put it back on after. My cat recently had to wear one and I would take it for short periods to give her a break and put it back on if I wasn't able to watch her or she started licking at her stitches. Don't leave it off while she is unsupervised though, even for a few minutes - my cat managed to loosen one of her stitches while I had left the room for a couple of minutes (learnt my lesson then!!).

You shouldn't have that much longer to leave it on for so I would persevere with it! She will cope and it is for the best in the long run.

kendall

My Sandi is about to be spayed on Tuesday, and I have been given two hints, one is a toddlers all in one outfit, that does up on the bottom, and cut hole out for her tail.(would only be possible with small dogs though)they don't make them for 12 year olds(for big dogs)lol. Can be undone and folded back for toilet business.

2nd one is the soft foam support, like an arm sling only made of foam and fasten it with self adhesive velcro. I will give them both a try, but I do have a collar,just in case.

Lola had the collar, would have been lost without it.

When problem child was 'chewing herself silly' on her stomach, we wacked it on again, she HATED IT but stopped her chewing herself bloody.

Its worth the cost and it is re-usable.. Nothing worse than ripped stitches in the middle of the night...

Lola had the collar, would have been lost without it.

When problem child was 'chewing herself silly' on her stomach, we wacked it on again, she HATED IT but stopped her chewing herself bloody.

Its worth the cost and it is re-usable.. Nothing worse than ripped stitches in the middle of the night...

Isn't it interesting how they always managed to take their stitches out when it is outside normal vet hours....

Nehkbet is right - they do get over it!! The collar should allow them to eat and drink - but maybe you can take it off and supervise her while she is eating, then put it back on after. My cat recently had to wear one and I would take it for short periods to give her a break and put it back on if I wasn't able to watch her or she started licking at her stitches. Don't leave it off while she is unsupervised though, even for a few minutes - my cat managed to loosen one of her stitches while I had left the room for a couple of minutes (learnt my lesson then!!).

You shouldn't have that much longer to leave it on for so I would persevere with it! She will cope and it is for the best in the long run.

kendall

i agree, i had 2 of my dogs de-sexed at the same time and they hated it soooo much. id give them a break from it while i cld supervise them then put it back on while i was at work. soon enough it was time to get the stitches out and they were free pooches again :rolleyes:

My Sandi is about to be spayed on Tuesday, and I have been given two hints, one is a toddlers all in one outfit, that does up on the bottom, and cut hole out for her tail.(would only be possible with small dogs though)they don't make them for 12 year olds(for big dogs)lol. Can be undone and folded back for toilet business.

2nd one is the soft foam support, like an arm sling only made of foam and fasten it with self adhesive velcro. I will give them both a try, but I do have a collar,just in case.

That 1st idea is brilliant.Not had this problem but will remember that just in case.Thanks.Elizabethan collars are awful.Makes me feel like choking thinking of them.

That 1st idea is brilliant.Not had this problem but will remember that just in case.Thanks.Elizabethan collars are awful.Makes me feel like choking thinking of them.

What sort of dog do you have ?

If I put this on either of my dogs it would have lasted all of 30 seconds.. (Staffy/Amstaff crosses)

I do appologise for my last post.

Wound guard is an anaseptic and a biterent that you spray on the wound after the sx. Because it is a biterent it has a yukky taste to it and belive me you don't want to taste it.

80% of dogs hate the taste it too, so by spraying it over the stitches if the dog goes to lick/chew at the stitches they get the taste=them not chwing/licjking again.

Edited by Abbie

I had suggested to me one of those hip bands/belt thingys. The fabric ones that girls would wear a while back. Sounds like a good idea to me.

When Bella was desexed I found a knitted doggy jumper that was long enough to cover her stitches when she sat down to lick herself. It worked well and I still use it for cold nights.

You can cut a piece of cardboard to fit around her neck and wrap it in a tea towl or soft cloth and tape so it fits like a large collar, it would have to be wide enough to prevent her being able to turn her head, something of a very similar design is explained with pictures on this website http://joecarr.ca/photogallery/Pets/dog_collar.htm

That's a great site but I wonder what dairy container would do for a GSD?

Just an update to you all on Sandi's spay (American Cocker Spaniel) and what I ended up doing. The foam sling type contraption didn't work. She spent a great deal of time dragging her rear end along the floor in the romper suit. I ended up using one of my grandaughter's stretch cotton dresses, arms through the sleeves, skirt gathered up and safety pinned on her back, at the base of her tail. It worked beautifully!!! She did try to keep rubbing her back under the cat scratching post, (to try and get it off, I think), but didn't chew it or try to rip it off. Surprisingly, it had a very calming effect on her, no jumping around, hardly any chasing of cats. I think I will put this outfit on her when visitors come, may save lots of training. :thumbsup::)