Chicken Frames,

DogCat

I usually give my dogs Marrow bones to chew on.Was looking at chicken frames in the supermarket and was wondering whether they are good to give to your dogs or what?

Your opinions are most appreciative,thanks.

My boys love their chicken frames ... in summer we give them straight from the freezer.

We tend not to feed marrow bones because they splinter. Instead we give brisket bones (much softer for our old boy), turkey necks, chicken necks, chicken frames and chicken wings.

My two absolutely love them! I would check out your local poultry butcher and ask them how much to get a box/crate of them as you will probably find they are much cheaper than the supermarket. Kristie recently got a box for $7 and there was 38 in there, lots more meat, skin and bits and bigger sized than the supermarket too. :provoke:

My two absolutely love them! I would check out your local poultry butcher and ask them how much to get a box/crate of them as you will probably find they are much cheaper than the supermarket. Kristie recently got a box for $7 and there was 38 in there, lots more meat, skin and bits and bigger sized than the supermarket too. :provoke:

Ask your normal butcher. I used to buy 6kg boxes from the supermarket, then the supermarket went from a BiLo to Coles and the frames went up by 80c a kilo and then disappeared. So I went to the local butcher and they order them in for me ... I get a 12kg box for almost half what I used to pay for the 6kg box.

They are a big part of my dogs diet, they have them at least 3 times a week.

When you say chicken frames do you mean whole chickens or just the bone frames that I have seen at the supermarket? :cool:

A couple of you have said that your dogs have them straight from the freezer, does that not make them brittle and prone to splintering? :rofl:

I have two GS pointers and one of them absolutely loves knuckle bones but he eats 90 % and only leaves the tiniest pring of bone all the cartilidge is gone he has a serious set of chompers. my concern would be frozen bone fragments from the chicken frames. Maybe I am being pathetic please do not hesitate to tell me if I am being over protective.

Bones are my current passion:)

I think frames (buy mine by the box from Lenards; their frames include parson's nose, backs with kidneys attached a bonus, ribs, and some meat and fat) are useful as a source of bone and quality chewing, and I like that they are large enough to prevent swallowing whole syndrome for many/ most dogs. They are also soft enough for the old girl of the worn down teeth (too many hard bones?!) to manage, clean what's left of her fangs and massage her gums.

There is a view that a bone which has the job of holding up a large animal e.g cow femur, is *too* hard on teeth.

luke, I hear you...feel this doesn't happen in practice but prefer to feed thawed, or mostly thawed, frames; often with a nice slice of grass fed beef heart to complement them.

Guest Piximatosis

Yep, chicken frames are a big hit around here too, and my 3 also get them frozen as the bags bleed everywhere if I let them thaw out!

Guest Tiggy

Last week when the dogs had chicken frames for dinner Buster didn't notice a heart fall out of his and Sophie swooped in and stole it. :mad