Run Free Little Girl

melree

Rez dog came to us 8 months ago at 2 years of age. She was a little blue border collie owned by people in suburbia. The family had a new baby and no where near enough time for a working dog. They told us she was scared of thunder and that she was starting to chase trucks going up thier busy road from behind her fence. She had been an outside dog as she was "silly inside"

She came to live on our farm and seemed to settle well for the first week. A thunderstorm hit, she was not scared, but was desperate to go outside to, what seemed to us, chase it. Within a short time, she started to chase passing cars. She would pick up a toy or stick and run flat out round our acre house yard, never looking where she was going. At the dam, she used it as a veladrome, flat out, often falling, never looking.

We had her fully checked by our vet, all fine. Poor Rez seemed to have no understanding of dog language and fights broke out. She would run past them and snap at thier faces and even when they warned her off, she just didnt seem to get the message. They didnt want her to join in games and a fight started when my son tried to play with her and the other dogs didnt like it. We kept her seperated from them, but this made it worse.

A behaviouralist came and watched her. It was noted that she had several behavioural problems, hyperactivity, sound sensitivity, and several compulsive behaviours. When there were no planes or cars to chase, she would chase "fairies" or just do laps of the yard, repeating the same pattern over and over.

If we went out, we left her inside to be sure she would be safe. We tried clomicam which made the problem 10 times worse, we tried herbs with no change and finally Ritalin, again it made her worse. It was impossible to distract her from her compulssions so retraining was not working. I dont think there was anything we didnt try to get her attention, we sought advice from anywhere we could think of. All, including behaviouralist, said there were so many issues that it would be virtually impossible to get her past them. The poor girl lived in a constantly high state of anxiety.

A month ago, while inside, a plane went over. Normally she wasnt to bad inside inside but that day she almost went through a window to get out. she jumped up onto the dog food barrel and had it not slipped from under her, she would have been through it. Two days later I came home to find the coffee table cleared, there is a window behind it. She was no longer safe inside. The decision was made that her welfare had to come first. The hardest decision we have ever had to make.

Our little girl is now free to run for the sheer pleasure of running, not because she has to. A sweet little girl, who loved a cuddle, hated to be brushed, loved to run and swim and could be so gentle. A little girl who spent her nights here curled up on a chair and had the chance to herd sheep. A little girl who melted our hearts and made us smile. A little girl who should have been here from day one and maybe things would have been different.

We will remember you always special girl. You touched our hearts. We were lucky to know you

Run free Rez dog.....you get that plane.

post-19-1085058405.jpg

:) Oh Mel, made me cry too, what a brave decision that you made, had you not taken this unselfish step, who knows what this poor girl could have done to herself, and died alone in agony. From what you told us, I cant imagine an owner doing any more to help thier dog. My old wolfie boy was like Rez, unhappy in his own skin, and I hope that dogs like ours are running free with joy in thier hearts.

fifi

Thankyou for helping her and then for making such a caring decision.

My heart goes out to you and your family. :)

I wish I had had your courage to pts my bullmastiff Dino who for everyday of his life was scared even of his own bowl. We had each others love but looking back now that I am more mature I realise in his case love sometimes doesn't mean quality of life.

May my Dino, Fifi's wolfie and your Rez be running around CAREFREE!

Thank you everyone for you kind words and PM's. It was so hard to lose a healthy, loving little friend, but we know in our hearts how hard we tried.

We were lucky to have known her.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cloverfdch

I am so sorry for your loss. How heartbreaking for you. :rolleyes:

Play hard at the Bridge Rez. :p

Guest jess&anka

R.I.P Rez..... you run free and do what you love doing best!! Enjoying the company of the others dogs of this world!!

Take care possum!

love..... Jess, Macca, Pepe' and Anka!!

• 2 weeks later...