Charlie Hates Being Brushed

Zelahi

Charlie has a short coat (he is staffy x red heeler(maybe))

He has been shedding a lot recently so we bought a brush like this one 3in1slickerbig.jpg as it was what was recommended by our vet.

He absolutly hates being brushed. He will be calm so we start brushing, he then starts fidgetting and runs away. If he sees us with the brush he runs in another direction.

We have been very careful brushing him very slowly and softly but he always get scared.

Anyone got any tips? Have we go the right brush type?

My Shar Pei hate the slicker brush like you use, if I use a softer brush it takes longer (and is not as good) at getting the fur out but they keep still and enjoy it

I think the Slicker Brush pokes them

That's one fancy-looking brush! No offence to the vet, but they're probably the wrong person to ask about brushes.

Slicker brushes are "firm" or "soft". What does it feel like when you run it up your arm with firm pressure? Shouldn't hurt at all. Just did it with my soft slicker and left only very light scratch marks.

I use a soft slicker on both my poodles and my sister's RidgebackX (shorthaired). Great for getting extra hair off my sister's dog- he really likes it- like a gently back scratch, I guess :rofl: .

If your slicker's the "firm" type i.e. very scratchy on your arm, then I'd request an exchange. They're obliged to do so as the vet recommended it, but it's not suitable for your short-haired dog.

I made this mistake with my first poodle- bought a slicker which was too firm- he hated it! I then had to work at getting him used to the right type of slicker brush.

Other factor is that your dog may not be used to brushing. Once you know the brush is OK, start over, brush only a little at a time, giving treats for good behaviour, then building up the time. A firm, "No" for misbehaving and don't reward him for it in any way e.g. stop brushing or let him run away. Good luck :thumbsup: .

That brush isn't suitable, it probably scratches him, some slickers are extremely harsh, especially the cheaper brands. My dogs would run a mile from that brush and they are groomed every day and sometimes for over an hour. You will have much more success if you groom your dog on a table, trying to groom a reluctant dog on the ground is very hard and you'll find it much easier if you have him at a more convenient height, he is also less likely to play up. If you have an outdoor table that will be fine. Also don't mess around with the dog, put him on the table and just do it, be firm and don't allow him to throw a tantrum, if he's really bad keep a collar on him and get someone to hold his head. Once he knows that you mean business he will accept it and stop fighting, you just have to be firm and persevere.

Thanks guys, it is pretty prickly when i run it over my arm. I havent tried a soft brush as it was recommended by the vet :thumbsup: grrr

oh well looks like im gonig to try a soft brush (even if it takes me forever :laugh: ) and on a table. He is pretty behaved on the vets table so it should work well, ill let you know :laugh:

To be honest the good old rubber hand mitt from Big W would do a better job than that brush .There are many brushes out there but many arent suitable .

Agree with Miranda though the dog doesnt hate being brushed as such its just ruling the roost,setting his rules & your lower down in the respect.

You need to be firm but caring,either use a table or just get a good grip with the collar & wipe over.You can practise this action with a damp chamois cloth(will remove coat) & get the confidience of both in grooming.

Your pups coat will be changing from summer to winter but when it blows it sheds like made

Personally I would use a "furminator" (but they cost alot of money and pretty much do the same as a fine clipper blade) or a fine tooth metal comb. I find both of these can be very good with hair types such as labs, who are short haired but still have hair to get through or get out if that makes sense.

Thanks guys, it is pretty prickly when i run it over my arm. I havent tried a soft brush as it was recommended by the vet :laugh: grrr

oh well looks like im gonig to try a soft brush (even if it takes me forever :o ) and on a table. He is pretty behaved on the vets table so it should work well, ill let you know :laugh:

You can still use a slicker, but it has to be a "soft" one e.g. http://www.petnetwork.com.au/cgi-bin/shopp...;cart_id=864135. The Doggy Man brand is great, but also the most expensive. I'd get a large size for your dog. Will last forever as long as your dog doesn't eat it :thumbsup:.

I'd ask the vet for a refund/ credit/ exchange. From CHOICE magazine website:

Key consumer guarantees ..... Goods must be:.....

.... * Fit for the purpose. This means the product should do the job you were led to believe it would do. In some cases this is pretty obvious; a watch might look great on your wrist but it must also tell the time. Other cases are less self-evident, but a product must always meet the requirements you told the seller you wanted it for, or the purposes the product is advertised for.

http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?...Shopping+rights

Those soft bristle/ nylon brushes (more like the human type) are pretty useless.

Yeah im an idiot i know.

Rub it in i dont mind :wave:

I just tohught they would have covered coat maintanence or soemthing in there training.

any who i have been looking at getting a Furminator because everyone has been telling me about how good they are.

Do you think it would be ok?

What size would i get?

Yeah im an idiot i know.

Rub it in i dont mind :wave:

I just tohught they would have covered coat maintanence or soemthing in there training.

any who i have been looking at getting a Furminator because everyone has been telling me about how good they are.

Do you think it would be ok?

What size would i get?

Furminators are great, but not for all coats thought. I would see if you would try one somewhere before purchasing. However, by the x breeds it sounds like it would suit your dog. If the coat is like the length of a lab for example, it would work wonders.

Also, they are very expensive. Just so you know.

What's a Zoom Groom? What's a Furminator?? Pics please!! :wave:

Check out www.furminator.com under deshedding tools tab, and a zoom groom is a rubber tool with rubber finger like things, which penetrate the coat and skin and removes hair and dirt. They are a KONG product I think.

Cheers

I would never use a slicker brush on a short coat dog, you should only use a soft bristle brush and a shedding blade( which looks like a hack saw blade bent into a circle with a handle ).

Our Rottie Is only brushed with the above, to use a slicker brush would scratch her skin.

Our German Shepherds are brushed with a slicker brush and an undercoat rake, because this Breed has a double coat and you must remove the undercoat, never use force let the brush do the work.

I agree Vets know nothing about Dog Breeds or Grooming, what your vet said proves this. My Shepherd girl hates being brushed, so I put a collar on, hold the collar and brush. :wave::o

There are so many grooming aids around now, I can understand how confused people are.

hehe no worries. i just find it amusing :cry:

this is a zoom groom eta: you can get them at any good pet supplies or order them from lots of places online.

1079385292.jpg

Edited by shmoo