Ok To Feed Your Dog Leftovers?

As the topic title asks, is it?

I am a new dog owner and have a 10 week old airedale and have been wondering is it ok for them to get this stuff. Also at what age can it be introduced. We ususally eat quite healthy and I want to feed my dog this way as well as giving it some of the high quality dry food.

What I mean by this is good quality leftovers. For example earlier tonight we had a big pork shoulder for tea. There was plenty of meat left after our meal I am wondering if it is ok to give it some meat minus the cooked bones. Also what about stuff like roast potatoe, pumpkin, peas etc.

Dogfish

Dogfish, i have a lagotto and my breeder said feeding left over's is fine, meat and veg, no cooked bones, left over rice or pasta.

He is 4 months and breathes it down.

Any photo's of your airedale?

Oh and i started giveng left overs when he came to live with me at 10 weeks.

Dogfish, i have a lagotto and my breeder said feeding left over's is fine, meat and veg, no cooked bones, left over rice or pasta.

He is 4 months and breathes it down.

Any photo's of your airedale?

Oh and i started giveng left overs when he came to live with me at 10 weeks.

Hi monie,

thanks for that.

Here is a pic of her on this thread.

http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?showtopic=98524

Dogfish

Guest Pandii

I agree with Arby too

Our dogs get left overs twice a day subsituted with dry dog food and raw meat

We started feeding left overs as soon as the dogs came to live with us

They will push dry food away so they can get the left overs in their bowls to eat first

Thanks everyone and Poodle Wrangler for pointing out that post.

Another question is how much to feed the dog. When feeding dry food this is easy as I can follow the recomended portion on the pack. What about for example like tonight. If I was to give her roast pork with the fat trimmed how much would be a serving size. Obviously I understand that as the dog gets older it will stop having 3 meals a day.

I have been told that dogs will eat as long as there is food available and that they can make themselves sick.

Dogfish

Our guys always get out leftovers, except for our puppy. He's 4 months old so is still on puppy food. occasionally we'll give him some of our leftovers, but only if its really inoffensive (i.e. not inclined to give him a bellyache), otherwise the big dogs get all our scraps.

they were disappointed this morning because there wasn't any pasta or garlic bread left over from last nights dinner! lol

Jenna

Leftovers for your Airedale are fine in moderation but I suggest you wait until he/she is a bit older. Leftovers should not be the mainstay of the diet the best imo for that is a natural raw diet BUT I strongly suggest you stick to the diet given to you by your breeder. This is the most likely diet to set your pup up for a healthy life without problems associated with imbalanced diet problems. It is also the best defense you have if you have any issues with your pup that you may want to take back to your breeder.

With regard to feeding portions. I feed my Airedales a raw diet and work on 2 to 3% of the dog's weight per day for adults. For pups I would feed about 10% per day. So my adult 27 kg dog has about 800g per day. I feed very little dry food as I believe it is an inferior food.

Edited by curlyking

We suggest leftovers are feed with caution to our puppy owners.

Some breeds tolerate certain meats etc better than other breeds/dogs can.

We dont feed or use or recommend pasta to our puppy owners.Whilst they may be small portions they can be a cause of skin allergies due to the ingredients.

Pork would give our dogs the runs.

Airedales are a double coated breed so they need a good diet high in essiental fatty acids,poor diets in a double coated breed (stripped coats)can lead to all sorts of skin issues .

I will feed my dogs left overs if we have any, but I am careful what I give them. My dogs are BARF fed so I dont make the left overs the actual meal, but if there is a little bit of left over mash, or chicken, steak etc on our plates the dogs get it. If there is enough for someone to eat the next day, it goes in the fridge :)