Desex Or Not To Desex

3 weeks ago we were given a 4 month old male boxer pup which is the love the whole family. My question is wether or not to desex him. I have no problems with it but the males in the family (which out number me 3 to 1)are having a problem with it. We have no intentions to breed him so can someone please give me some advice. Especially whether it will effect his growth at all as this seems to be their main argument.

post-16989-1178252229_thumb.jpg

dogs aren't people. They dont run around with these human thoughts like "oh i'm less of a man because I've been desexed. How will I ever be able to drive a ute down to the pub and watch the footy now I lost my testes".

If you dont intend to show this dog, and it is not on main register then dont keep it entire. Entire males mark, they seek females (for bouncy boxers means more chance of the dog continuously trying to escape and roam)

I wouldnt desex til about 6-8 months, wait till both testes have descended. It doesnt make a huge difference to development and body shape, some of the larger breeds can benefit from it but I wouldnt worry. Plus no chance of testicular cancer.

I have a male lab who is 7 now and got desexed at 9 months of age....and trust me, he still does all the joyful "boyish" behaviours. He humps, tries to be dominant with other males, and other such things. Getting rid of his nuts did nothing to change his behaviour!! So get him desexed. It won't change him, well it didn't change my boy.

He looks gorgeous. We had a boxer who was just wonderful.

For some vet info about desexing: http://www.balgownievet.com.au/1_gen_desex_intro.htm.

I've had mostly desexed male dogs with no problems. I think it's cruel to leave them intact if they're a pet. And you shouldn't breed unless you really know what you're doing. Boxers can have hereditary health problems which you'd want to avoid.

It costs more to register a non-desexed dog with council. You have to register by 6 months of age. In our area, it's a difference of about $120 ;) . In the event your dog gets out and is picked up (higher risk if he's intact and out looking for a mate) or neighbours make a complaint about barking, for example, you'd be up for a fine, then still have to register in order to keep him :( .

.Reality is some Boxers males to machoness to the extreme & that can be a nightmare & i dare say any good Boxer breeder would also confirm this.

Any resposnable pet owner should desex there any sex ,i wouldnt wait till 12/14 months as by then they have become what your trying to stop,6/9 months is a good age.

There is some thoughts it can affect growth but im yet to see any dog affected by it.

Was the pup brought from a breeder with conditions to be desexed??(i now you say it was given to you but where did they get it from originally )

Tell the males that dogs arent people & unless they plan to check the dogs nuts every month for changes (cancer etc) which i can guarantee they wont then get the chop ,its cheaper council rego,lowers health risks,behaviour traits(peeing in house or genearlly marking anyhing),lowers the male attitude especially if there are kids involved who want to walk/control the dog.

I have handled male boxers in the ring & there not laid back,i found in the right scenario they most certainlyCOULd emphasis could be very fiesty (male testorone at its best)

dogs aren't people. They dont run around with these human thoughts like "oh i'm less of a man because I've been desexed. How will I ever be able to drive a ute down to the pub and watch the footy now I lost my testes".

If you dont intend to show this dog, and it is not on main register then dont keep it entire. Entire males mark, they seek females (for bouncy boxers means more chance of the dog continuously trying to escape and roam)

I wouldnt desex til about 6-8 months, wait till both testes have descended. It doesnt make a huge difference to development and body shape, some of the larger breeds can benefit from it but I wouldnt worry. Plus no chance of testicular cancer.

Brilliant! Well done Nekhbet - that's bloody funny....and I agree about desexing pets - it's much easier and kinder to all involved.

I have a now 8yo dalmatian who was desexed at 1yo. He never grew very masculine and it has not changed how he behaves(or doesn't).

Desexing will lessen the chance of the dog getting prostat cancer.

We desexed at 4 months,, well I did while the male species of the house were at work and yes when they came home they were not pleased and for some reason kept touching their own bits ;)

But both his testes were there and the vet casterated him and no there is nothing wrong with him except he doesnt cock his leg then again Oliver my GSD boy is 3 and he squats as well and he still has his. :(

IMO it will only be a benefit to get this boy desexed. It is a very simple operation and it will save you a lot of hassle in the future - especially in regards to them escaping to get to female dogs on heat. Male dogs can go to amazingly extraordinary lengths to get to a female dog on heat. You would not believe some of the stories I have heard - prison break at it's best lol

Desexing can reduce male to male aggression and territorial behavior (marking territory) and the chance of getting diseases or cancers/tumors in reproductive organs.

But most importantly it eliminates the chance of your dog causing an unwanted pregnancy. To me, this is one of the most important because it is helping to keep future dogs out of pounds and put to sleep.

If you are not breeding your dog (which you should not be unless you are a registered breeder) then IMO there is no other responsible option but to get your dog desexed, male or female.

Good luck and let us know how he goes,

would love to see some more photos also!!

As others have said Desex him, I'm male and I had no problem desexing my German Shepherd Dog, it's the best thing you can do. my boy was desexed at 10mths, he's still the same but without the problems of an entire male.

It won't change his Temperament, he will still act male anyway in Shepherds the boys are bigger sooks than the girls.

Desexing a male is cheaper than a Bitch, my boy is over 4yrs old now doesn't like other dogs and is still silly didn't change him.

:mad Thanks guys for all your replies.

I will be getting him done around 6 mths which is what the vet has suggested without the males support(they don't want to see his face as i'm walking him into the vet).

Funnerly enough i asked for your help to show them there would be nothing to worry about but they don't want to read your comments.

Not to worry, Buster is the product of a back yard breeder that we rescued, he was very under nourished when we got him and quite small for his age. He is doing so much better now, has put on 4 kilos in 3 weeks, isn't as withdrawn and is just a pleasure. i won't be making the same mistake as the previous owner. :mad

We haven't had a dog for 5 years after we had our 17 year old Cattle x bullterrior put down :mad , she was another rescue, and have forgotten how much pleasure these little sweet heart bring into your life.

thankyou.

i read that early desexing (at the correct age) can reduce the chance of cancer in dogs

Early desexing increases the chance of cancer in dogs.

From - Long Term Health Effects Of Spay Neuter In Dogs

On the positive side, neutering male dogs

• eliminates the small risk (probably <1%) of dying from testicular cancer

• reduces the risk of non-cancerous prostate disorders

• reduces the risk of perianal fistulas

• may possibly reduce the risk of diabetes (data inconclusive)

On the negative side, neutering male dogs

• if done before maturity, increases the risk of osteosarcoma (bone cancer) by a factor of 3.8; this is a

common cancer in medium/large and larger breeds with a poor prognosis.

• increases the risk of cardiac hemangiosarcoma by a factor of 1.6; this is a common cancer and

major cause of death in some breeds

• triples the risk of hypothyroidism

• increases the risk of geriatric cognitive impairment

• triples the risk of obesity, a common health problem in dogs with many associated health problems

• quadruples the small risk (<0.6%) of prostate cancer

• doubles the small risk (<1%) of urinary tract cancers

• increases the risk of orthopedic disorders

• increases the risk of adverse reactions to vaccinations

As hemangiosarcoma is a problem in boxers you would be better off waiting until he is at least 12 mths. Also he should almost have finished growing by then so you will not damage closure of his growth plates, which would alter his height and increase his chance of cruciate ligament rupture. As boxers are a very active breed they are at a higher risk of CLR than more sedentary breeds.

Conclusions from the above site -

CONCLUSIONS

An objective reading of the veterinary medical literature reveals a complex situation with respect to the longterm

health risks and benefits associated with spay/neuter in dogs. The evidence shows that spay/neuter

correlates with both positive AND adverse health effects in dogs. It also suggests how much we really do

not yet understand about this subject.

On balance, it appears that no compelling case can be made for neutering most male dogs to prevent future

health problems, especially immature male dogs. The number of health problems associated with neutering

may exceed the associated health benefits in most cases.

For female dogs, the situation is more complex. The number of health benefits associated with spaying may

exceed the associated health problems in many (not all) cases. On balance, whether spaying improves the

odds of overall good health or degrades them probably depends on the age of the dog and the relative risk

of various diseases in the different breeds.

The traditional spay/neuter age of six months as well as the modern practice of pediatric spay/neuter appear

to predispose dogs to health risks that could otherwise be avoided by waiting until the dog is physically

mature, or (perhaps in the case of many male dogs) foregoing it altogether unless medically necessary.

The balance of long-term health risks and benefits of spay/neuter will vary from one dog to the next.

Across-the-board recommendations for all dogs do not appear to be supportable from findings in the

veterinary medical literature.

Edited by morgan

6months is a great age but given the circumstances of being under nourished etc i would play it by ear,if you feel the dog is really thriving then go at 6 months if you feel an extra month or so will mean his condition is better then weight

I don't think anyone knows for SURE whether early desexing increases the chances of cancer in males. I think it is similar to all the studies they have done on what does and does not cause cancer in humans. Yeah there are plenty of THEORIES with a bit of evidence to both prove and disprove each one of those theories.

I believe the theories on early desexing of male dogs is in that same category. I really do not think it is known for sure...just suspected by some experts and not by others.

If it had been proven beyond a doubt then there would be no way that vets would be recommending it.

Until then, i guess it is just a matter of everyone weighing up the pros and cons individually - but not just weighing them up, also thinking about each and every pro and con critically and doing your own research on top of it all.

Anyways, you have received some great advice from people on this forum and I believe you will make the decision which is right for you. Good luck and please let us know how he goes when the time comes!!

:mad Rachelle

Edited by Rachelle