How Do I Keep My Washing On The Line?!?!

vpeewee

My 8 month old Giant Schnauzer has in the last two weeks just discovered that he can pull washing off the line. Now, nothing stays on!

I have tried to catch him in the act, once I did but since then he does not go near it when we arn't home. If we go out and leave washing on the line, its all on the ground by the time we get back. He doesn't rip them up or anything, just pulls them off and sits on them.

I have searched for other topics and tried the chillies in stockings trick, but he just pulled them off and ate all the chillies! He didn't seem to mind them either.

Are there any other suggestions to save my clothes?

Hang the clothes somewhere else when you're not home, :)

I dont think there is a real quick fix for this one.

To stop the problem all together fence off the area or hang the clothes somewhere else.

(Little buggers aren't they :laugh: )

Mine wont touch it (actually, Kaos i am talking about, At is too lazy to pull it off!) when i am home, but when i am out, she will get it all

Home in orange was great, i had 2 yards, i could keep her out. Now i just crate her if i need to go out and something is out, she comes to work with me so i dont have too many problems!

Train him not to take the washing off the line while you're there, and don't put any washing out when you're not until the training sticks :)

this sounds like you do this with a click of the finger can you instruct me step by step how to achieve kaz

As others say, no quick fix. It's a self-rewarding behaviour- lots of fun :) .

I'd get one of those large indoor clotheslines and finish off clothes in the dryer (cheaper overall, though not ideal, I know). You still have to do the washing while you work on the problem. Sorry, am no training expert.

Fencing the line is not a silly idea at all. Friends electric fenced their garden due to 2 evil Goldies. Once they'd been zapped a few times, they learned to stay out. Owner also zapped himself when watering (OUCH!!). They turned off the electricity to be more child-friendly.

My 8 month old Giant Schnauzer has in the last two weeks just discovered that he can pull washing off the line. Now, nothing stays on!

I have tried to catch him in the act, once I did but since then he does not go near it when we arn't home. If we go out and leave washing on the line, its all on the ground by the time we get back. He doesn't rip them up or anything, just pulls them off and sits on them.

I have searched for other topics and tried the chillies in stockings trick, but he just pulled them off and ate all the chillies! He didn't seem to mind them either.

Hi There, do you have any old pillowcases or pillowcases you don't mind your dog pulling off the line? IF so then grap some balloons and fill them with water and stuff them inside the pillowcase and hang those on the line. When the dog jumps up to pull the washing off, the balloon bursts and instead of getting nice fresh clothing in his face, he gets a face full of cold water - which he won't like. He will soon associate the washing line/clothes with a face full of water and won't go near them again.

Hi There, do you have any old pillowcases or pillowcases you don't mind your dog pulling off the line? IF so then grap some balloons and fill them with water and stuff them inside the pillowcase and hang those on the line. When the dog jumps up to pull the washing off, the balloon bursts and instead of getting nice fresh clothing in his face, he gets a face full of cold water - which he won't like. He will soon associate the washing line/clothes with a face full of water and won't go near them again.

Only if you can be there to make sure the dog does not eat the balloon - could be dangerous

ALSO - ( was talking about this today) Kaos would love nothing better then that! this trick will not work on a water loving dog!!

Hhhhmmmm, doesn't really seem like there are many other ideas. I will try the balloon trick, but I would also be worried about him eating the balloons....

I have washing hung all over the house at the moment, but there are only so many times I can wash my sheets and hang them over the dining chairs in the kitchen, it doesn't leave much room left!

I will battle on, maybe if I start with some old clothes that I don't mind losing.....

Cheers for the help.

My GSD used to help me by getting the washing off the line too, I tried everything, but maturity seemed to be the answer, at about 12months old she just stopped!! never been near it again!

I used the balloon idea years ago when I had a dog who was taking clothes off the line, but it wasn't so much the water that worked as the big bang when he burst the balloon, it scared the hell out of him and he never did it again.....I did it when I was at home to make sure everything went ok, but I'm not sure if it's the right course of action for every dog....it worked for him, but it certainly wouldn't work for the girl I have now, she is way too highly strung!!!!

Hi people this is my first time on here so HELLLOOOOO everyone.

I have a Lab that LOVES my washing but I am able to hang it all in the shed,for now.One idea that I didn't see listed was MOUSE TRAPS.Attach a couple of the flimsy plastic ones on the bottom of some old items of washing and when the dog jumps and grabs on they go off with a snap and 'hopefully' scare the(.......) out of the dog.You might only need to do it once!

Most are so useless for catching mice that they won't even scratch the dogs nose.

I've had success with a garbage bag and water. 1/3 fill the garbage bag with water and hang it so there is a goodly amount of "dangle". When the dog jumps up to grab it, they get a sudden shower.

Works unless the dog loves water or is pretty darned stupid.

Disclaimer: DO NOT TRY THIS IF YOU HAVE A LONG-HAIRED DOG AND DON'T WISH TO HAVE TO SPEND AGES DRYING IT!!!