Extremely Fussy Dogs

I have an extremely fussy young dog who is a real bugger to feed, he will not eat though if I mix through some sardines (which is not something I'd like to feed him everyday and get a loose tummy).

He can't afford to loose any weight (but is not seriously underweight) and is a growing dog. I was hoping some DOLers who may have combatted this problem might have some ideas for me to try.

I've had a look at Roxie's post and might have a go at the Sprint Oil, witheverythingiam suggested :(

LOL I was just going to suggest you look at that thread. Also the Puppy or Performance Nutro - or the Satin Balls on their either? My dog was VERY fussy with his dry food, and I had to actually stand there and entice him for every other dry food I've tried (including other "Super Premiums" like Eagle Pack!!!). Dunno what Nutro's "secret ingredient" is? But Rocky LOVES his bikkies, and I don't have to stand over him, or add sardines/egg etc to his food anymore - he just gobbles it up.

-WithEverythingIAm

Thanks for the link Witheverythingiam :( will check it out.

He's currently on Nutro large breed puppy and believe it all not he won't eat it plain :D

He also gets bones mid day (the only thing he eats by himself) and BARF mix at night which he wont eat unless it's got something special in it :rofl:

I've currently been using sardines, chicken breast, dried liver, roast meat (any human leftovers really) all mushed up into tiny pieces and mixed through to get him to eat.

This is meant only in a constructive way: You might be creating a fussy eater by offering different, more interesting food when the dog refuses the first offer :) .

Many advise to feed your dog the same foods day in, day out, to avoid this problem. It's only natural they'll prefer tastier foods.

Dogs aren't stupid and will not starve themselves :rofl: .

It's OK for a growing pup to be quite lean. Is he otherwise healthy?

My standard poodle pup has tried being a fussy eater i.e. just leaves kibble and follows me every time I go to the fridge looking hungry and pathetic. He know where the fresh food is- chicken wings, pet mince etc.. He's lean, but not underweight. When it becomes clear no more fresh food is forthcoming, he WILL eventually eat the kibble. I now feed the fresh foods only once a day so he knows not to expect it at other times and this has helped.

If you're concerned, you could weigh your dog weekly to make sure he continues to gain weight. A good way to stay objective.

Best wishes :) .

This is meant only in a constructive way: You might be creating a fussy eater by offering different, more interesting food when the dog refuses the first offer :) .

Many advise to feed your dog the same foods day in, day out, to avoid this problem. It's only natural they'll prefer tastier foods.

Dogs aren't stupid and will not starve themselves :rofl: .

It's OK for a growing pup to be quite lean. Is he otherwise healthy?

My standard poodle pup has tried being a fussy eater i.e. just leaves kibble and follows me every time I go to the fridge looking hungry and pathetic. He know where the fresh food is- chicken wings, pet mince etc.. He's lean, but not underweight. When it becomes clear no more fresh food is forthcoming, he WILL eventually eat the kibble. I now feed the fresh foods only once a day so he knows not to expect it at other times and this has helped.

If you're concerned, you could weigh your dog weekly to make sure he continues to gain weight. A good way to stay objective.

Best wishes :) .

I totally agree with Poodle wrangler.

Two of my dogs were eating everything nicely but then I started adding some little extras to their diet and one of them just ignored her food and was always only eating and waiting for extras. After 1.5 days of no extras she realized she has to eat what she is given since nothing else will be available. So it was totally me who created the problem of a fussy eater. A healthy dog will not starve itself.

Have you considered that your dog could be a grazer???

Some people prefer to 'graze' all day and some prefer set mealtimes.....same with dogs I guess.

No matter what I tried my Lab will never eat all his meal at once, no matter how small, but would eat it bits at a time over a few hours.

But also yes I will agree with poodle wrangler, some will do anything to get something extra or special and can usually train you to do it more easily than it is to train them!

Allowing dogs to be a grazer is just as bad as pandering to there needs.You add treats to make him eat but infact again he has trained you to fill his bowl with stuff.

Aslong as theres no medical reason why the dog wont eat then i suggest just sticking to the very basics.Dont make a fuss,give small portions only & dont chop & change all the time.

It really is time to educate the dog about eating which is often what fussy eaters dont understand.Skip a meal every other day so its 2 today one tomorrow,dont stick to a time schedule make him not now when its coming.

We get stacks of boarders in where the claim is there fussy but they eat like horses because they now where they stand & feel confidient in eating.

There thriving on the additional attention there getting & you are the loyal servant

I bought a new dog into our family and found he was a very fussy eater as. I have tried just placing the food down, leaving it their for 1 hour or so and then removing it, until the next feed. My boy just refused to eat. He was quite thin and was getting thinner each day. I tried all sort of food, the old owner said he was a little fussy before I got him, but nothing like what I was experiencing.

Finally I heard about Satin Balls, googled it and found the recipe. He now eats them, although I put his food down and leave it with him overnight and it is mostly gone by the morning. He has put on a little weight and I am introducing normal mince along with his Satin Balls so he will hopefully go back to eating normally this way. It has been quite a process. I didn't 'spoil' him if that is what people think, he was just totally put out coming to a new home and has taken quite a while to settle. I tried feeding the diet his previous owner had him on, but I truly think he would have starved or gone close to it. I have never experienced this with dogs before. I guess like people you can get the odd, very fussy one!

I would suggest a vet check to rule out any disorders affecting his appetite.

THEN....he gets what's on offer, or nothing.

I'm afraid I don't believe in mixing up treats or human food with the dog's food as an incentive....(unless it is for an ill or very elderly 'patient' ) .

A lot of exercise and not a lot of food choice would be my way of trying to get him leaping with glee at the bowl :thumbsup:

Dogs aren't stupid and will not starve themselves

He's been on this diet since 8 weeks (Kibble & BARF) - as indicated above.

I've been forceful but he went 4 days without eating.

Have you considered that your dog could be a grazer???

Though I don't really agree that this would help, I also don't have the facilities to do this - other dogs in the house that will quite happily eat any food lying around :)

Aslong as theres no medical reason why the dog wont eat then i suggest just sticking to the very basics.Dont make a fuss,give small portions only & dont chop & change all the time.

It really is time to educate the dog about eating which is often what fussy eaters dont understand.Skip a meal every other day so its 2 today one tomorrow,dont stick to a time schedule make him not now when its coming.

I haven't changed the diet in anyway other than by offering incentives to encourage the dog to eat.

I will try changing meal times and see if this helps any. Although when we go away (showing) his meal times get changed around to suit the days events and he still won't eat :rofl:

Finally I heard about Satin Balls, googled it and found the recipe. He now eats them, although I put his food down and leave it with him overnight and it is mostly gone by the morning.

Might give these a try thanks Shellbyville :thumbsup:

I would suggest a vet check to rule out any disorders affecting his appetite.

THEN....he gets what's on offer, or nothing.

I'm afraid I don't believe in mixing up treats or human food with the dog's food as an incentive....(unless it is for an ill or very elderly 'patient' ) .

A lot of exercise and not a lot of food choice would be my way of trying to get him leaping with glee at the bowl :rofl:

There's nothing medically wrong with him. I'm sorry you don't believe in mixing treats/human food to get a dog to eat but I'm afraid I'd rather do this than have my dog not aquiring his nutritional needs at such an important growth stage in his life.

He does gets plenty of exercise :)

I think there is one major point that you have missed -

HE EATS HIS BONE AT LUNCHTIME!!

When I feed my dogs a good meaty bone, they get nothing else that day. :rofl:

Meaty bones are very filling and give the dogs everthing they desire in a meal - something to chew on and keep them occupied, taps into those "wild dog" instincts and to top that off - nutrition that's presented in the best possible way! :)

I would suggest that you try to be tough again and either feed the kibble and barf or the bone on any given day - he is eating his favourite thing and leaving the rest! :thumbsup: Smart dog!

Good luck! :rofl:

ETA. If you think he has a medical problem, do check it out but it sounds like the vet is ok with his weight and general health. :)

Edited by t-time

He's been on this diet since 8 weeks (Kibble & BARF) - as indicated above.

I've been forceful but he went 4 days without eating........

..........There's nothing medically wrong with him. I'm sorry you don't believe in mixing treats/human food to get a dog to eat but I'm afraid I'd rather do this than have my dog not aquiring his nutritional needs at such an important growth stage in his life.

He does gets plenty of exercise :thumbsup:

Do you have a photo, so we can see his weight? How young, exactly?

I don't think anyone's trying to make out it's all your fault because you've been spoiling the dog. So, you do feed him the same thing i.e. same BARF mix and kibble every day? No variation? I got the impression the mix varied if he didn't eat it, sorry.

As you say there's nothing medically wrong with him, this MUST be a behavioural problem.

Not eating for 4 days is fine provided your dog's drinking normally. Obviously, you feel for your dog and would prefer they did eat, but would it be acceptable if it was part of solving the problem?

I made the mistake of adding a bit of kitty milk to Lana's morning dry food a couple of weeks ago... and since then she will not eat plain dry food!!! I put down the bowl without milk... she looks at the food... looks at me... back at the food... and walks to the fridge :thumbsup:

He's 8mths old, have to get a pic. He's lightly covered, can see ribcage clearly, hipbones covered.

No that's correct it's been the same kibble and BARF mix since 8 weeks.