Cooked Meat?

Chubbz

Hi,

Just wondering if its ok for me to feed my dog cooked meat on a regular basis.

She seems to prefer say, cooked mince as opposed to raw mince...

Does cooking the meat get rid of most of the nutrients?

Thanks in advance.

From what I was told, either is ok to give to your dog.

Not sure if cooking takes away nutrients, but I'd hazard a guess and say it doesn't. I feed my puppy cooked meat as I've heard its easier to digest, but I'm going to try raw meat as she seems a little fussy with it, but will gobble down a raw chicken neck without a fuss.

Sorry I can't help you more, I'm only new at dog ownership!

Raw is best, but cooked is ok. Most dogs like cooked meat, mine eat raw, but if they were offered raw or cooked I reckon they'd choose cooked every time. If you cook the meat and serve it in its own juice you should retain most of the nutrients, of course cooking will destroy some, but I know lots of people who feed their dogs cooked meat and they're fine. As long as you're not feeding cooked meat as the sole source of nutrition I can't see a problem with it.

cooked or raw meat is fine - just to make u know :D - sure NEVER feed cooked bones (like an old cooked chicken carcass) the bones shatter and can cause severe gut damage.

some dogs with sensitive tummys go better on cooked meat , personally i feed raw bones.

Also dogs with reduced appetite (sick/injured) often get cooked as its more appealing.....

It weird you know, my girls have the occasional cooked meal...but they prefer the raw.

They smell raw meat and they go a bit strange. :D

Don't get me wrong they luuurve any food, but raw is especially delicious to them apparentely.

My two beagle boys get their mince raw, but they're beagle - so they'll eat anything!!

It takes me long enough to cook their rice and mush up their veggies, if I was cooking the mince too I'd be in the kitchen forever!! :D

Cooking actually makes it less appropriate for their digestive system. There is absolutely no reason to cook the meat that you give to your dogs.

Don't pander to your dogs preferences. Feed them what is best for them and take it away if they don't eat it.

I don't think my dogs have ever tasted cooked meat!!! Except for liver treats which are baked or boiled, and the very occasional sausage at one of our bbq's. If I did feed them cooked meat I would make sure they get plenty of raw meaty bones as well. Mine go nuts for their raw mince and bones, and it is so less work and less smell than cooking up their food.

The only food I especially prepare is for one of my dogs that is a little underweight and fussy and I am mixing up 'Satin Balls', but that again is raw, it is just a bit messy mixing all the ingrediants. I have now cut down on the Satin Balls and give him half the amount with the other half of raw mince and bones, and he eats his mince now as well, so hopefully in a few more weeks he will off the Satin Balls and eating normally.

We only eat cooked meat, so pretty sure our dogs can cope with it.......

OK, more seriously......mostly we feed raw, as has been said NEVER cook chicken frames......

Sometimes we cook mince and add a bit of Vegemite to tempt a dog who is being a bit finicky, seldom fails.

We used to feed most meat cooked with Vegemite, but now we have 4 adult Scottish Deerhounds and a Deerie puppy, who eats HEAPS........

So cooking is a major exercise....... raw goes down just as well.......

We give vegetables 2 feeds out of 3 as well...... these are always cooked... 3 minutes in microwave.

We only eat cooked meat, so pretty sure our dogs can cope with it.......

"We" haven't always only eated cooked meat.

Raw meat is also believed to be much more digestible to humans. Most humans these days don't find raw meat palatable but some will have it "undercooked". The more you cook it the harder it becomes to digest it. Yes we can both cope with it but raw is better.

Dogs find raw meat palatable so why spend time cooking their meat to turn it into something less digestible for them? :confused:

Millie won't eat raw. She's too fussy. I cook up chicken mince from the supermarket or butcher, altho recently to cut costs i bought the pets chicken mince from the butcher which is basically the chicken carcass put through the mincer. I cooked it up and it was full of small sharp splintering bones. I'll never buy pet mince again. Only human grade meat for my spoilt pooch :confused:

My 2 eat a mixture. Chicken wings, necks, carcasses etc are raw. I tend to cook their chicken. I can give them little pieces as treats and it's a lot less messier when you have Cockers like me (their ears being a problem). They get a mixture of raw and semi cooked veges.

I dont see the problem of cooking food for the dogs as long as they are healthy and have a good balance of different foods.