Two's Company Or Double Trouble?

pencilnibbler

So I have a lovely 16 week old whippet pup who I adopted from Cordelias Canine Rescue. We've been to puppy preschool, and doing quite well, aside from the usual puppy naughtiness.

We've also had a few play sessions with my brother in law's adult staffy, which she enjoys immensely. They rumble and play the whole afternoon, and by evening shes totally pooped.

My question is, should we get another pup to keep her company, or will it just exacerbate any problems further?

This is completely my personal opinion.....and what I would do...

I would have one pup at a time - then you can get to know your puppy and train her appropriately. If you decide to get another puppy for company at a later stage, your whippet can teach her all her good manners....ideally anyway :D Your puppy can still have loads of fun meeting other puppies and adult dogs in the meantime and you can provide her with lots of chew toys and fun things to do at home to keep her out of mischief. I suppose it also depends on how much time you have to spend with your girl. The other thing, that really depends on the individual dog, is that it may be better if there is an age difference between the dogs so that there are no arguments about who is dominant. 2 puppies are eventually going to have to make that decision and it may be difficult if they have similarly "bold" personalities, for example.

Just my thoughts :laugh:

Just to add, you need to get another puppy because you want to, not just to keep your current puppy company.

IMO I would wait a while, as The Spotted Devil said, to bond with this puppy, and train it etc, and then if you would still like another dog down the track look at it then.

It needs to fit in with the dynamics of thte household too.

Then again, this is not to stop you from getting another puppy. You may feel it is the right time but both puppies will need one on one time with you without the other one.

Good luck :D

I had one dog, and then one dog, and then on dog. One day one of cats died. My husband said "This time we'll get another dog, not another cat - I'm sure our dog would like some company anyway". And so we did.

Now I would never EVER have just one dog.

Two are such wonderful company, so much so I think its almost cruel to have only one.... unless you are home with it all day. I think digs need dog company too. And its not double trouble - its great companionship.

BUT...as for having two puppies at the same time, I wouldn't know about that. I had an odler dog and got a puppy. When the older dog goes to Rainbow Bridge, we get another puppy.

I also think its good to have two dogs of different ages because you don't go through the aging of two dogs at the same time which is expensive and heartbreaking at the same time.

So if experienced people say its alot of work to have two puppies (I think you'd need two fo you to do training with the two dogs), then maybe you could adop a rescue from a foster home. That way you get to meet the dog, make sure your puppy and the dog like each other, and you free up the foster parents to save another dog from death row. Just an idea. Its al a big decision. Good luck with that!!

Sky...that's such an interesting point. I always had one dog and one cat. When they went to Rainbow Bridge :D I purchased a kitten and was fortunate enough to also get her mother from the breeder 12 months later as she was retired from breeding after her second litter - having 2 cats in this situation is indescribably wonderful! I'd love another Dal too, but will definitely wait until Zig is around 2 years old and well on the way to being mildly sensible :laugh:

ETA: My OH and I having working/study commitments that mean Zig is rarely on his own for more than 2 hours....and is always asleep then anyway!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

My guys are about 6 months apart in age. We went with our breeder's recommendation that six months between beagles is a good difference.

We've honestly found two to be easier than one, as they are either asleep, zooming about entertaining themselves, or mucking around with us.

As you can tell by my sig I have two dogs under one and it has been INTERESTING to say the least,

Company: Has been great but two dogs going through different stages has been challenging, I have no garden, anything of value in the garage has been destroyed, one lounge, walls, toys, 10 pairs of shoes etc

All training that Lola had has gone out the window when problem child is around. Just as Lola settled, PC went into puberty.

I had an award winning garden - no more, does not even look like one was there..

But my dogs are high energy...

Two female desexings (one with canine removal the other with dew claw removal) put me back over $1000 and then you have vaccinations, worming and flea & tick treatments all x 2.. all within the first year of life...

I would recommend it. but only under fair warning and advisement.. can be a good thing, can also be a nightmare...

Hello Pencilnibbler,

I presume that you are the owner of Jelly? We met the day we picked the pups up. My baby is Avril, the crazy hyper whippet pup...lol. Glad to see you have found the DOL forums. Hope you post some pics of your baby soon. How is she going with the rest of your animal menagerie???

Avril has also just completed puppy school. She did not win any awards for most obedient, or best trick....she was more there for the social aspect... :D She just loved having free play with the other pups. Have added photos in the photo section of the forums of her at preschool.

We have another dog, Banjo the 5 year old Pomeranian X, who she completely terrorises. He is getting used to her now, but for the first few weeks absolutely hated her. She couldn't even go near him, without him barking and carrying on. Mind you, she runs at him like a bull out of a gate, barrels him over, and then pins him to the floor while pulling his ears, paws and tail. We are hoping that as she matures she will settle down (a lot!!!) as their breed temperament clearly states that they are gentle, sweet, blah..blah...blah....lol. Then things will be a lot more peaceful around here.

I think two dogs are good company for each other, but its up to you. Did you see Jacqu has two males still looking for homes??? Very tempting hey? But then not sure if I would want two hyper pups running amok, my pom would never forgive me!!!

Leanne

yes I am Jelly's mum! (& all is well in the menagerie-she's learned what the ferrets are & to respect them!) And seeing that those two boys are still needing homes (why just amazes me!) has been what has started me thinking about this.

I guess ultimately I've known all along that the smartest choice would be to wait until Jelly belly has matured a little before considering adding yet another little fur baby to our family, but there was the little nagging doubt that made me think that maybe we could give another one of those whippy babies a loving home.

I only hope they find families soon

I personally say yes to two pups! I currently have a 9month retriever and a 5 month poodle and its the best thing ive done. ive still bonded with both and am trainging both. they love the company and i love twice the puppy kisses! :)

Just make sure you have the TIME for 2. Any one will have the love and money because if you didnt you would think of a second one but make sure you can give both indevidual attenstion. As for the bad behavious of the first its 50/ 50 wether it makes it worse or better. my goldie was digging holes and now he's not. Was licking the walls now hes not but have a new puppy in the house made him feel he could go toilet in the house for a couple of weeks until he got that it wasnt ok. Its harder to indevidually bond with the second pup because the first can need more attention but the older one usually helps the littler one learn the ropes with toilet training, food habits, walking nicely on lead and they will never be lonely. I love have two because they will be there for eachother for life. They will live about the same age both being large dogs and can see eachother safely to their twilight years without worrying about wether the younger whiper snapper is going to anoy them in their old age if you wait 2+ years.

But thats been my experience. Hope ive helped :(

So I have a lovely 16 week old whippet pup who I adopted from Cordelias Canine Rescue. We've been to puppy preschool, and doing quite well, aside from the usual puppy naughtiness.

We've also had a few play sessions with my brother in law's adult staffy, which she enjoys immensely. They rumble and play the whole afternoon, and by evening shes totally pooped.

My question is, should we get another pup to keep her company, or will it just exacerbate any problems further?

I just say go for it and get a 2nd puppy.

I never have one rescue pup at a time. I always have muliples.

I'm another two dog fan. My two are only one month apart in age, and both just over 1 year. I bought my boy from a breed specific rescue when he was 6 months. Then three months later I bought a 10 month old girl from a breeder who said she had decided against breeding anymore.

The fact that they were that little bit older probably helps but they can be a bit destructive. Who am I kidding, more than a bit. :laugh: My backyard looks like a battlefield but IMO the pluses outweigh the minuses because they are twice the pleasure, and watching them play together is just magic.

The very first "second" dog I got, years ago, was bought chiefly as a companion for the dog I already had but when I discovered the joys of double dog ownership I decided then and there that from now on I would always have at least two.

I have 2 pups atm, very close in age & still very young.

All I can say is you get twice the amount of UPS & DOWNS.

You need to be willing to put in twice the effort, double the training, double the playing, double the affection etc. Luckily for me my partner is alot of help (especially when they both start their obediance training classes soon)

I can't really comment too much as I have only had my 2 a short time and at the moment they are very stressing at times, but are getting better slowly. Alot of egging each other on, rough play & chasing etc. BUT they also share a snuggle afterwards on an old childrens lounge. My partner had alot of progress with them today. She left the backdoor open and only left 1 crate open for them. The younger dog (who soils every part of the house atm) followed the older 1 who is housetrained) outside to the toilet, they played for awhile then came inside and shared a crate for a bit. The result was 2 dogs that seem more bonded and alot calmer this afternoon/tonight. We usually crate them seperately but with the younger pup whining all night we are going to crate them together tonight and see what happens. If they play games all night we will seperate again but if they settle down for the night we may keep them together.

I guess IMHO what I have experienced in my very short time having 2 pups together is that its a nightmare to begin with, but I am sure once you have established what is & is not acceptable, and that the dogs needs are met individually as well as shared it will be twice the pleasure of any single dog ownership...

Edited by cyber_crimes

I use to have an only dog. Until I met hubby and he convinced me to get a play mate. Our little guy was 4 yrs old when we adopted a German Shepard cross from our local Dog's Home. She was around 3 yrs old at the time. Our little guy past away 3 yrs ago. Then we adopted a Doberman cross, but he recently had to be re-homed to a house hold that didn't have young children. He snapped at some young toddlers I had here, even though he's been around young children since he was a pup of 10 weeks old. Now we have added another addition to the house to replace the Dobie. Again this guy is an adoption from the local Dog's Home. Fitted straight in. Love the kids and my cousins younger children ( aged 17 months and 3 yrs). I would never have an only dog. Our new guy is 1 yr old and house trained. I would probably never get a pup again, I'm now more favorable towards dogs that are a little older. Wait until you have trained your current dog and its out of the hardest parts of puppy hood. Then think about and start making steps to getting another.

Edited by neomommytas

Eventually I'd like another dog as a companion for Emma. Growing up, my parents have usually had 2 dogs, and there are some definate advantages. There are things that dogs can do together that just don't work as well with people.

I do feel guilty that Emma spends most of her weekdays at home alone, but we're first time dog owners, and right now we don't have the time and energy to cope with another new dog, let alone another puppy. I like that we can both focus on Emma, take her on walks together, and spend time bonding with her and training her without even more distractions.

I'd want to wait a while even after I was "comfortable" with Emma's training before we got a second dog, as I don't want to risk her going backwards. Even then, I'd definately consider an older dog who already had some basic training. I think it's nice when there is an age gap of a few years, as the older dog will still play with the younger dog, but usually wont let things get too crazy.

We have two pups - a 13 month BC and a 7 month BC. both high drive, both nutters. At the moment it is a bit of a PITA because we have to keep them seperated as he has an injury - associated barking throught the fence at one another because they can't play etc. When they can play together it is brilliant - they keep each other company and really get along well.

The young dog models off the slightly older dog who was just on nine months when we got the new one. I know a lot of people say don't train side by side, but I broke the rule and still do it from time to time. I think it is important that they know that instead of competing with each other they need to listen to me when they are together. As a result the young man is solid on a stay at seven months (bit hard to move when you are on a split lead and the other dog won't move! :confused: ) seriously though he is good even on his own.

Downsides -

Costs x 2

Training (time) x 2- even though they will work OK side by side they have to do a lot of individual training, hence double the time.

Jealousy (human emotion, but describes it well enough) - Miss nine months squeels the house down if she can see me training with the other one and can't get to us. Mr 7 months has begun to copy this - last night at flyball he barked almost non-stop for an hour in his crate while we trained. Yes - they are crate trained, as soon as training was over and he couldn't hear me any more he stopped.

I wouldn't be without my two, but that said I can't wait until he is another few months older, desexed and we've built up a bit more trust.

As others have said though, you have to do it for you, not for the other dog. If you end up resenting the new dog it won't be good for anyone.

Cheers.

Tony