Teaching Your Dog The Military Flip When Heeling ?

We teach it using luring techniques. Start with the dog in a sit in front and then use a food lure or something the dog likes to lure him round. It's not difficult to do but may take a number of repetitions for the dog to get it.

Others here may offer different techniques for the military flip.

Looks fantastic when the dog gets it!!

it is when you do an about turn when heeling instead of the dog going on the out side of you like most to nearly all people are shown

the dog does flip accross you on the inside

i hope i have explaned it so people can understand

the military flip is the traditional way of doeing doing the turn you see a lot of euro dogs still doing it, its very impresive to watch and i think people still use it for gun dogs

the reason for doing it for back in the day a long time ago was when

people go hunting with rifles the dog stayed out of the way of the muzzle of the rifle and the dog stayed safe there is more to it but i havnt done any more searching on it

so the dog flis across the front of the handler that doesnt sound right to avoid the gun they would go behind the handler i would have thought or do you mean the dog stays on the left wehn you left about instead of you doing a left about tna d the dog doing a right about behind you

it stayes to your left like u said

iam trying to find a video of it because i dont think i can explane it proply for people to understand

there was a shutzhund video on dol a few months ago that had it on it

Actually its the only one i use simple because i dont believe the other is a real left about turn

i teah it by first luring the dog from in front past my left leg and then into hel had to explain as the dog goes past my leg i step back with the lft leg take the dog out past it then step back to the start postion and reward at heeel

after half a dozen i stop stepping back and click for movement of the rear end moving around to heel ehile keeping my lure hand still for my little dogs at knee height

i should video the steps for you

its amazing how quickly they learn to swing their bum around this is done stationary of course then wehn i introduce it to heeling i actually stop for a left about have the dog swing into heel and then move forward slowl removing the stop my sheltie does it beautifully if i get a chance i will video on the weekend for you

yes jules

OK. I got it finally. :)

I thought it was a flip finish also. I like so many others flip finish after a retrieve. Fun to have them flip from front to side to front to side to front etc etc etc. My dogs enjoy the game.

Edited by Lablover

Diesel does this type of finish :)

I taught it in increments, getting him to go to heel position from a short distance, and making the angle greater and greater untiil he had to flip around. I initially lured him, then faded the lure.

iam trying to find a video of it because i dont think i can explane it proply for people to understand

there was a shutzhund video on dol a few months ago that had it on it

this one? http://aurach2000.rivido.de/video/lennox/lennox-UO-dm-06.wmv

dont blink you might miss the first about turn

Took a while to download. That dog looks sore. Spine? Right rear leg?

PS He has a beautiful tail. Looks like Yanks!!!! :)